Pulley questions

My board feels a bit slow (I’m more confident in my electronics now). The motor/board doesn’t seem to want to go faster than 24km/h.

These are the gears that I have on my board right now: 36T at the back and 15T at the front. image I figure going smaller at the back will give me a higher top-speed, and going smaller at the front will do the same?

I’m ordering some other bits from diyelectricskateboards.com and I figured I would get some new pulleys (“pulleys”?) from there. Looks like 36T is as small as they go. My only option for going bigger on the front is a 16T 15mm. image (argh @ pointer in the image :()

Is that going to make much difference? Is it 16/15 difference?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

1 Like

Think you’ll be better off finding a 18t for the motor. http://esk8.today/2017/01/03/how-fast/

1 Like

@JLabs (buildkitboards.com) has some 32T pulleys in stock

2 Likes

I have a 15mm wide belt which is limiting (at diyelectricskateboards.com). 16T is the highest it goes. Also: I’m in New Zealand so paying for freight once is important :).

1 Like

I guess I could buy a 12mm belt. It’s going to suit my 36T pulley anyway, right?

https://eskating.eu/product/custom-htd-5m-12-to-20-teeth-steel-motor-pulley-in-91215-width-2x/

2 Likes

I kinda want some 18t myself now that I’m playing with the speed calculator.

1 Like

15T - 36T is the The Facto standard in this hobby. A lower motor pulley teeth count with less than 15T is not recommended. Less teeth cause the belt to slip, also cause belt breaking in the short-term because the belt narrows too much. With 36T wheel pulley you get the best of both worlds: decent speed and good torque (for going uphill).

When you widen the pulleys ratio (example: 15T - 40T, 15T - 44T or 15T - 50T) you’ll get considerably more torque at the expense of less speed while preserving belt integrity in the short-mid term. When you narrow the pulleys ratio (20T - 32T or 20T - 36T) you’ll get a speedier board while improving belt aging in the long-term but it will considerably lag in hill climb due to its neglected torque.

5 Likes

Great info @pixelsilva thank you. I’ve still got alot to learn. I have 15t 36t and 16t 40t now for my 107mm wheels. But have been thinking of getting 18t for the 36t or 20t for the 40t. Almost no hills were I ride… lots of flat

2 Likes

Then 20T - 36T or 20T - 32T will be your thing.

Sure Kelly, any time. :wink::+1:

2 Likes

I plan on keeping my 36t on my front wheels and 40t on the back (and belts in my bag) So I can swap them around and figure out what I like.

2 Likes

Well, I’m not so sure if that kind of hybrid configuration will really work (??)

1 Like

I’m rear drive. The pullye will just be ready on other wheels so I can try 40t than swap wheel from front to back and ride 36t on the fly.

1 Like

I will leave your 16T - 40T untouched. Use that for your torque applications. Change instead the 15T - 36T for 20T -36T (upgrade to 20T) if you want to get more speed. But use that configuration in both dual diagonal truck installations, which seems the one you are using.

Dual rear.

1 Like

I’m lucky that I’m pretty light, and not heaps of hills so I don’t think I need to worry too much about torque. Also my motor is a 125kV which I think means it’s torque-y to start with.

To be honest I’m a bit surprised that the top speed is only 24km/h (not mph!). I’m wondering if it’s because I don’t often fully charge my 10s5p battery (way more capacity than I need) and maybe it’s just sag.

1 Like

Speed seems about right with that motor. I think there is a point where low kv is less efficient than a higher kv with high reduction. Where that point is idk. With less reduction you also lose torque/brakes. Here is estimated (95% duty)

Screenshot_20180811-153811_CalcRC

Screenshot_20180811-153834_CalcRC

1 Like

Instead of upgrading the pulleys I would actually change the motor, for the same price you could get a Keda 190kV from HobbyKing. It is unfortunate that you must pay extra shipping since your outside the US

1 Like

Hmm… I literally just bought a second one of those motors (125kV) to make my board a dual-diagonal setup. Nuts.

24km/h is ok 95% of the time (commuting).

I was wondering if I was just getting to max RPM.

You bought the Keda or 125kv turnigy?