Raphael Chang BMS and ESC

That might be a problem, but I think I can route the port direct for the virtual machine, it has been a long time since I used that

Hey guys, if I were to continue some dev work on this, where should I start? I see Pimousse made a fork. Does anyone else have something recent?

Also some help setting up the IDE would be great if someone can help out.

I can order some bare PCB’s and I have a complete unit on the way.

Wow yeah please do, i saw this almost a year ago and its pretty bloody great but i dont have one yet so that kind if sucks. You have my support at least!

I stopped looking at it since most people abandoned the idea, instead i plan to get one from @SimosMCmuffin I also remember someone saying that this BMS had a dangerous design somewhere, i don’t remember whats exactly what, probably that one cell is getting a higher discharge at stand-by and as result the BMS does the opposite of what it should do in long term storage

There are couple hardware design related limitations on the Battman. First is that there is no protection from microcontroller hang during charging. AKA even if the MCU crashes, it won’t stop the charging process. Other is that it doesn’t have a deep sleep mode for long time storage purposes, which might cause the BMS to drain the battery over long storage periods.

EDIT: After looking and understanding the Battman’s RTC sleep mode, it is actually capable of very low current sleep mode.

1 Like

No deep sleep? I though Raphael Chang specially added an external RTC so the MCU can be shut off and woken by the RTC, in fact I read he had specially measured the deep sleep drain at 10 microamps?

On the MCU hang, well we should prevent MCU hang in the first place… :-)) Other then that, there should be some watchdog timer or other failsafe implemented to interrupt charging on an MCU hang. I am open to doing some hardware development as well.

On the single cell drain issue @Pedrodemio if that is truely an issue it’s worth investigating I have reviewed the schematic and I don’t see a hardware design problem that would cause that specific issue.

I would like to sell mine. If anyone is interested please pm me.

Hi, i’m new to the esk8 community but I’m trying to build this board is 98% done (still waiting for some resistors to solder them up). The thing is I suck at programming. How is it going with the Battman ?43060744_478435129321003_1780154899267321856_n 42868639_534150670375643_8264404443517157376_n 42943819_244312536245862_7084504548517085184_n

Damn that’s such a sweet looking BMS. I’ve got the DieBieBMS and I was wanting to get one of these also as both seem much better than a regular BMS from Bestech, etc…

This project is dead. Actually, it has never been alive. :smile:

3 Likes

Yep, unfortunately @Pimousse is the only one that had any interest as of late.

I kinda figured that was the case, but I was hoping otherwise, lol :smile: Oh well…

Is that the same thing for the ESC he designed?

He basically vanished and left us with a $ 120 paper weight

Actually not even as paper weight it works

2 Likes

Even if he released his ESC, you don’t want to invest in a brand new product withiut any kibd of support.

I spent hundreds (no kidding) of hours writing the FW and SW. I even bought a second unit to somebody else for testing. Then @SimosMCmuffin came to state that the HW was too weak to safely and fully perform what @raphaelchang claimed.

Total personal loss : 2 units (240$), hundreds of hours (priceless)

Maybe someday I will take a look back at it and try to extract some juice in the limit the HW can provide. No motivation nor time ATM.

6 Likes

Ok you make a good point, lol. Would prefer not to be a beta tester for one of those…

I was thinking in maybe removing the LTC and trying to interface it with my arduino so I can read the cell voltages on my remote

Don’t know how easy it should be

Removing the LTC ? Maybe you should keep it and hook your Arduino up to the I2C port of it.

But, if it’s only for monitoring purpose, this shouldn’t be complicated to write some line to interface with VESC CAN since it’s based on the same code as Vedder’s one (this part for sure).

Will take a look

I say remove the LTC and use it stand alone in a smaller board