Raptor 2 hubs alternatives

See here I was thinking I’d be doing extensive testing between the new Hummies and Carvon XLs this summer…and now here I am googling bookmaking for beginners…I’ll have all the juicy lines later this week haha

It’s just so hard to predict anything. At this point, min of 3 hours in my mind to assemble each motor from start to finish. And that’s doing large batches. I think it’s more like 5 hours or more right now. so for the over 60 motors pre-ordered, thats over 300 hours of assembly time. Even if you say we can work 12 hours a day, that’s still 25 x 12 hour days of work. This is no small feet. And I’m in position now where I need to find a full time job, and hummie also needs to find at least a part time job for the summer, which means time gets eaten from motor assembly. The reality is at these prices, we’re not really making anything, which means we need to keep pumping outside money into these motors to keep progressing. That means the need of outside jobs, which eats time to find and do.

The real limitation is man power and a continued need for money, since it’s not coming from profits. The problem is that we keep taking pre-orders, which in the short term, solves the problem, but in the long term, doesn’t since were still in the same hole later, it’s just pushed off. Until we can get these motors in a place where they can be profitable, it will be a continued struggle. Love or hate it, the fact that enertion never sold low and always sold at high profit margins is a big reason they are doing as well as they are today.

2 Likes

Do you and hummie talk to eachother while working? You consistently say different things, according to hummie the motors are done.

And now you are saying 300hrs to assemble motors.

Hummie 13d

the motors are done now. I just need the wheels which are just starting and take 5 weeks. that’s here for the summer no?

I don’t know why or when he said motors are done… There’s 6 motors fully assembled, 2 on his board and 4 on mine. Other than that, there’s no completed motors. Theres 24 more motors that will be done with about another 1-2 hours each (just need final assembly and wheels, assuming no balancing is need, which could take an unknown amount of time). And another 20 ish that are 1/3rd of the way complete. I would say at this time, more like 150-200 hours left. Just was stating the enormity of why things take time. Lack of money to finish off the final parts due to a lack of profit margin, things go in and out of stock (polyurethane has been out of stock for a month now), and most importantly, the time it takes to assemble all of the motors.

1 Like

sorry for that if that’s what I said exactly. I think I must have been meaning the challenges of the motors are done. With a gamble after an improperly made sample by the manufacturer and with so many changes from the past and everything untested based on assumptions it was a gamble.

I was just writing back and forth with aend a minute ago. its may be naïve on my part but the first response from them was it can be made in 5 weeks and i think they said 2000$ to start but it was totally doable, but then you find its just gets you a prototype singular mold, and need two, and each wheel will cost you like 50$, so you need to get the 100 molds that they pour in under an hour and at the minimum of 500 parts made its expensive. Tried to find room between what amounts to an all or nothing deal with every polyurethane “processor” I could find going through the pu Manufacturers Assoc. There are a lot of companies not on there as well I found. Its pretty weird how non-public these places are and hard to find.

I can do them. I have reasons why it’s hard now on this small scale but it’s good. it will be good. and we will all get fucking motors and tires within 6 weeks. yea I said it and said a lot of crap. I’m off work next Wednesday. I will be paying rent a month early and just pouring wheels till this is done. It cant be done as a part-time thing and the molds need to be pre-heated as well as everything else to 200f and post cured for 16 hours. its good though and I have the bucks for the resins for the rubber and it’s core and for molds.

I hope you guys believe me when I say stuff and I’m stunned at the times Ive said 2 weeks. at this point I’m shipping out the first motors to Seth with the last of the tires I made before ran out of resin and he gets them cause he’s been yelling at me over the email and told me its a joke at this point! It’s looking like i’ll be buying 10 gallons on the 30th after talking to Creative Urethanes earlier who were the best lead for cheap possibilities in bulk but across the board it’s showing to be about 5,000$ min but he said he’ll tell me tomorrow and Aend said theyd tell me more tomorrow. the price though really ends up 10,000$ but also while they say it will take 6 weeks its seemingly starts from when they finally start thinking about it. these places have a lot of business and I’m in line. Funny they actually pour wheels at super speed like 100 in an hour, with the 100 molds you have to buy, and the likely 500 part minimum, and that’s an expensive minimum. None of them still after like …dare I say two weeks…have an answer on how much something will be and Ive been told to slow my roll and these are slow. so fuck that and I can pour these now. Pu should be available on the 30th they still say and shipping to me was maybe 4 days. off on Wednesday.

these motors don’t take as long as evohyax says. if I ever happen to stumble on a go pro I can make a video and speed it up like 30x and you can see what happens. You guys are all my investors. I hear stupid talk of making big money and big production but the reality is, and maybe always will be, I’m making these and I can do them quickly. takes a bit of gearing up and know how and this and that and a lot of time off work. I’m looking forward to it. they will be fucking awesome.

can someone please link these to the other thread so the other folk who paid know whats up

5 Likes

A short raptor 2 hub question. Does anyone know the pinout of the sensor wires on the raptor hubs? Is it 3.3 or 5V?

You live in a bubble dude. These are the minimum times it takes to do each task:

Winding - 30 minutes Dipping - 20 minutes Pressing - 20 minutes Terminating - 10 minutes Re cutting truck - 10 minutes Magnets gluing and cleaning - 1 hour Assembly with retaining fluid - 20 minutes Testing and phase wires - 20 minutes

That’s over 3 hours right there. That doesn’t include bell balancing either. This is assuming your on fire, not taking breaks or making any mistakes that result in complications. This also assumes all tools are sitting out, ready to be used, and theres no time looking for tools, which is never the case.

It takes time to make motors.

2 Likes

you just said 5 hours above. not that I think it takes that long to do all those either. and things change and I expect things to get quicker when doing. motor winding used to take me much longer

oh cmon guys lets leave the salt in the sea! :slight_smile:

Yes please! Sign me up for a set of these once they are ready for us!

2 Likes

Right there is the solution to the wheel problem. SixShooters or nothing…

3 Likes

so close to ordering resin and then Aend comes through with some great news and using the the rotors for the mold

they say they will get back to me later today bit of flashing on the edges and they say they have trouble doing the core using this method but glad to hear they’ve been on it all along and just out of touch

10 Likes

Seems like enertion is now selling diy kit. This is a newer version than the hubs I got from first batch. Anyone know if they are any good?

https://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-direct-drive-hub-motor-kit-r-spec/

2 Likes

they changed motor factories cause of some production problems, i have them and will be testing them soon enough.

1 Like