Raptor dual impressions - second batch

Do not crank it down. That was one of the features that separated it from other boards. It needs to be high performance. Just make it easier to adjust the ride settings.

@onloop

Any chance you will be fitting a raptor with dual REAR 6372 r-spec 2.0 motors soon (with the respective trucks to fit them)?

Those would be some crazy wide trucks. My two Tacon BF 160 6364ā€™s would need 11 inch trucks to fit a dual rear configuration, so I would assume two r-spec 2.0ā€™s would need 12 inch trucks which would be crazy wide and a ridiculous amount of power. Unless you weigh like 350 lbs, thatā€™s just complete overkill and expensive.

Ok, ill leave it at full power!.. that was one of the reasons I made this productā€¦ so people can have a high performance eboardā€¦

Are you selling this now? I was actually going to ask if such a battery was an option!

Xusia any chance you will be making more videos of the raptor?

Curios to know whatā€™s real world range and at what throttle. Real world max sustainable speed.

Sure. I had already planned on doing a full video review, discussing range and such. Timing is a bit of a problem in that I feel I need to spend a fair amount of quality time on the board first in order to do a fair review, but the weather here hasnā€™t exactly been cooperative.

To ā€œkind ofā€ address your question, the short of it is that Iā€™m not getting the range I wanted or expected, and Iā€™m not exactly sure why. I know there are lots of factors that contribute to range (or lack thereof), and I had hoped to try a few things to see if I could figure it out (the issue could be something other than the battery pack itself).

I donā€™t want to hijack this thread, so if you want more info, or if there are any other specific video requests, just PM me. :smile:

Agreed, lots of factors affect range, but curious what your range has been? My longest ride to date has been just over 6 miles and I had 70% left showing. I know not to expect a linear draw, but Iā€™m thinking 12 miles on a full charge is reasonable. Iā€™m about 210lbs and have mild hills in my area (100-150 foot elevation gain).

You will definately get at least 12miles. Im still trying to stretch my ride past that, but its more me having fatigue. Thats at least 1.40mins of riding.

is that 12 miles going full throttle most of the time? I have open stretches of big bike lanes with hardly anyone there for 20 miles that I can use, wondering how much of it I can cover at full throttle.

I have tendered to mix it up, but I do tend to coast alot. The regenerative braking works well and always seems to put back some more power. If your doing more full throttle its only logical that you will eat through the battery life.

Im yet to get the range as per spec, but thats just due to not going further. I am surprised its meant to get 30km, as I am light, so should be getting that easily.

30 km (18 miles) is a great range!! Iā€™m 140 lbs and hoping I can get that, although I know it wontā€™ happen at full throttle. If could get 10 miles at full throttle that would be great though. I have a boosted dual plus and the range and max speed is the limiting factor for me right now.

I think the raptor needs more publicity and more buyers. Iā€™m thinking of going in 3rd batch, and I would surely do a video review to get it more publicity. Iā€™m wondering if onloop could keep up with increased demand while providing a solid product with excellent quality control. Sending your board back to Australia from the US for repairs or issues seems unrealistic.

He does have some US service providers. Also note that you can hot swap a new battery in if you have a spare on your travels. Alot of the issues should be addressed by the 3rd batch.

You might also consider the Raptor single as it will still have plenty of power and likely better range.

Since my attempt to prevent thread hijacking has failed, Iā€™ll go ahead and respond, LOL.

I live around 11 miles from work, on top of what most people would call a seriously big hill. If I start at the top of my hill, I can make it to work with ~15% - 20% battery left. That commute took around 55 mins. I cannot make it back up the hill coming from work (the hill alone takes about 35% battery).

If I start at the bottom of my hill, itā€™s ~9.5 miles to work. I made it one day with about 5% battery left (50 mins), but the next time I ran out of battery after about 9 miles and had to push the rest of the way (NOT fun, BTWā€¦). The temp on this commute was about 45-47 F, and it took about 40 mins (as you can see, Iā€™m going faster as I gain confidence).

About my commuteā€¦ Itā€™s mostly flat with just a couple small overpasses, but about 1/2 of my commute is in a bike lane or on the road (where there is no bike lane), where the pavement is rough and the is a fair amount of little tiny rocks (which destroyed a set of belts already). The temperature hasnā€™t been above 60 F on any of the commutes, and I read that temps below 60 reduce Li battery capacity significantly, but until it warms up, I wonā€™t know for sure if thatā€™s part of the issue. Also, I push start EVERY time, and I accelerate fairly slowly (to try and conserve battery).

My conclusion thus far is that if you want to go fast, under what I would call normal, real-world conditions, you will get maybe 10 miles. If you limit your speed to 10mph, you would probably be able to go much farther (but whereā€™s the fun in going slow?!?).

One thing Iā€™ve really noticed is that the dual motors draw a significant amount current. Under full load with a full battery, the voltage drops enough that the fuel gauge reads 35%-40% less than when not under any load. In other words, if I have 90% batter showing when I turn the board on, it will read ~50% when Iā€™m cruising at full speed. Thatā€™s a LOT of current draw to cause the voltage to drop so much! (the fuel gauge is based on the voltage) For this reason, Iā€™ve been wondering if a 10s4p battery pack would be better suited for the dual motors, because the current draw would be spread out over more individual cells, hopefully resulting in less voltage sag. For those who may not know, generally, the more current a Li cell provides, the lower itā€™s capacity. For example, if you discharge a single cell at 1 amp, itā€™s capacity would be X, but if you discharge it 5 amps, itā€™s capacity would be LESS than X. Therefore, theoretically, 33% more cells (4p vs. 3p) should yield more than 33% additional capacity, BTW - I think this is also why the Raptor Mono has better range - it discharges the cells at a lower amperageā€¦

As you know, Riding slower means you travel less distance in a given time. To get better range try to keep your average speed over 25km/h (15ml/h), most of my range testing is done at top speed.

You want to keep the motor spinning at max RPM as long as possible. So minimal stopping & starting and always riding at full throttle when possible.

If you have an incline ahead try to hit it at top speed & maintain momentum.

Wind resistance is a major issue at top speed, try to tuck and angle your body to become more aerodynamic. Reduce your weight as much as possible as 10kg makes a big difference if you are already a larger rider. For instance riding side by side with my mate who is 105kg was a big difference in range compared with me at 95kg.

hope this helps, let me know if you get some better results.

Otherwiseā€¦ the 10S4P pack will be available soon.

Thanks for the suggestions! Itā€™s not really possible (traffic lights and all) to maintain top speed on my commute - thereā€™s a lot of stopping or at least slowing down. Should I try to go as fast as possible still, or is there a better target speed? Also, I can take a route that utilizes the bike path more, but itā€™s 2 additional miles of distance. Do you think thatā€™s a reasonable trade off?

Lastly, what about top speed over the rougher pavement vs. going more like 15mph? Iā€™ve been thinking that slower is more efficient because as Iā€™ve gone faster my range has decreased.

[quote=ā€œXusia, post:35, topic:1845, full:trueā€] For those who may not know, generally, the more current a Li cell provides, the lower itā€™s capacity. For example, if you discharge a single cell at 1 amp, itā€™s capacity would be X, but if you discharge it 5 amps, itā€™s capacity would be LESS than X.
[/quote]

I did not know, and Iā€™m sceptical. Can you elaborate or quote a source for this claim ?

are you referring to the ā€œCā€ rating? @Xusia ?

Just about any site that tests these batteries will typically post a graph showing the capacity at various discharge rates. Here is just one example (there are many such tests/sites): Battery test-review 18650 curves all