Ready to go 12s, please check my battery diagram

Hi guys I have already posted this question but inside another thread and so the discussion didn’t answer to my questions. If someone wants to contributes please feel free…

" I am going to make a 12s3p. I made this diagram. BatteryDiagram12s3p I have to follow this distribution because I do not have a lot of space. basically the last two P groups are on a second layer. I would have few questions: I will use 10x0.15mm nickel strip, planning to use 2 nickel strips for P group 1- For series connections do you think 12awg or 2 16awg is enough or better on 12 paired with one 16awg. Online I found 12awg rated for 41A, while 16awg for 21A. My battery would be max 60A. As isolation I will use Isolation rings on the positive side and fish paper under the balance leads. Between parallel group I will use fish paper and also on top to separate it from the second layer. P groups glued together. Kapton tape on both of the sides of each 6 parallel groups and foam in the middle to keep the two cell lines isolated.Then I will heat shrink the two layers separately and place the bms externally. The enclosure is covered by foam internally to protect the battery, which is secured to the desk using Velcro. What do you think about the diagram and the plan? Thanks a lot to everyone that wants to contribute. I uploaded here the pptx in case someone want to correct it or use it for is purpose :grin: https://mega.nz/#!ztknFCga!turUECUE_nF5vsvOhscW7wPgSiK21h_MCj-ENsBgXFw"

Thank you!

maybe it helps to tag some battery builder @b264 @Eboosted @Acido @chaka @Namasaki

3 Likes

True, thanks.

1 Like

This would be much safer if the P groups across from one another connected together like at the B11 & B5 connections … except on the whole battery. It’s SO MUCH safer.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. What do you mean except for the whole battery? You mean the genral negative and positive. To do what you say I should use cell level fusing distribution, having the nickel strips parallel to the cells. right?

No

The series connections should go across to the P-group that’s right there. So under extreme vibration if the insulation between the P groups is breached, they are already connected together, preventing one kind of failure mode.

connections

1 Like

I see thanks! Do you think 12awg is enough or better 12awg and 16awg paired for series connections?

I would not use 12S nor would I use 12AWG. 10AWG is better which is rated for 57A continuous and also 10S is much better on your ESC components

Is gonna be tricky to solder it in between…I can not make it too wide otherwise won’t fit in the enclosure. I guess cell fusing level is the way then. If I do little loops with 10awg is gonna be too thick to be folded.

use 2 layers of the 0.25" tinned copper braid which is good for 40A per

1 Like

20180924_001917_HDR

2 Likes

40A each or total?

per (each)

Cool. Do you then fold it and place it in between cells? I mean with the front one

I think it’s much safer when those cells butting up against each other are electrically connected already

Imagine the battery in a paint shaker for 24 hours and holes being rubbed in insulation

I’d much rather two things touch that are already connected together :wink:

also, use fish paper

Sure that’s clear I was asking about the final disposition Do you have a picture? I would like to see if the copper braid is in between or it makes a loop on top of the battery.

Find the fish paper is the problem in EU! I ordered from Ali but will take a while

BatteryDiagram12s3p_2 Better now?

2 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant :smiley:

1 Like

I am listening :grin: