Realiable spot welder, need some advice

He got the kWeld :slight_smile:

I could not use 2 grahpene 5ah 75c lipos because they would give out 2000+A and the welder would refuse to weld to protect itself

Also the connections inside the lipos broke from welding and heat so I would not reccomend to use lipos with kWeld I broke 2 batteries in the same day…

I will probably just get a really big lead acid battery today and try to use it

I would like to know which kind of batteries are used in the jump starter you linked, seems to be a good solution and cheaper then a 600cca car battery and charger.

Probably some lipos as well

1 Like

Animal. The probes get so hot, should clue you in to touch the pack and wires to check heat. Are you going for the supercapacitor setup?

The inside connections are much much thinner than the main wires, I would stop welding as soon as the main wires would get hot, the battery would be +5-10c from room temperature

Hobbyking made great lipos but cheaped out on the connections for sure That aluminium is really thin!

Im going to get them when the 8.2 70A charger is finished developing

1 Like

Have you tried .25mm or .3mm nickel? For me the probes get hot with one or two shots, and the cell feels warmer than I’d like.

Nope, I only have .15 atm Whats the time it takes for your welds? I could get up to 100 welds before the electrodes would get so warm they would not be comfortable to hold anymore My time was 22ms

The k weld can do 100ms 2x 0.3mm nickle

your lipos are going to explode on 100ms lol

Well I mean a YouTuber did it and 0.1secs can’t be that bad

Two 0.3mm welds at 100ms

Screenshot_20190308-113917

Screenshot_20190308-114056 Screenshot_20190308-114051

1 Like

That’s Joule not ms :wink:

2 Likes

Oops I’m blind

Anyways it can weld 0.6mm nickle

And 0.1 secs short shouldn’t be that bad for a lipo

Wow that’s a pretty big nickel strip :+1:

1 Like

Mine blew with 50J and 24ms after less than 150welds each, hobbyking cheaped out on the parts, but made great lipos and in the end they are not really suitable for this purpose, even the creator of the welder told me that

1 Like

Making batteries with it should be like a hour job for a whole 12s6p :smiley: Bet the electrode cables would need to be thicker and the electrodes itself would get hot as f***!

2 Likes

I’ve had enough of my DIY bodge job. Made a spot welder out of a car battery (340 CCA) and a digital delay timing circuit but I can’t deal with the inconsistency, to the point I’ve wasted soooo much nickel strip doing a test welds. Has anyone the Malectrics and the Kweld? Which one is better?

1 Like

kweld all the way, but if your doing only a battery or two go with the malelectrics and save yourself some money

but if you want to use something on a daily basis get yourself a kweld kit

Im doing 65J welds all day (23ms) with it and it does not heat up more than 35c

2 Likes

Ideal, thanks. Probably going to spend the extra and get the Kweld. Only want it for one pack (at the minute) haha!

1 Like