Rib crusher 9000 | Longboard press

Unfortunately, there are zero ribs that share the same profile. The whole deck has 3 dimensional curves (rocker, wheelflares, w-concave, single tail).

1 Like

The bacon-like curves

5 Likes

Sounds like a challenge!

I don’t know how much this will be needed, but I do have another thought: When building a canoe using the cedar strip method, you have to spend time smoothing each of the ribs of the form to make sure that the strips follow the intended curve. If you cut with a jig-saw for all of your ribs, the profile will be perpendicular to the face that you cut from. Getting a smooth path going down the length of the press will be a bit of a challenge that I am not quite certain how you would solve. With the canoe, I used a block plane, but that was easy enough since all the curves were convex.

I am not exactly sure how much of a concern this will be for you, but I thought that I’d throw it out there…

Yes! I am aware of that. That’s why each rib is only .75" thick. Once everything is cut and mounted on the boards, ill go to town with a dowel wrapped with 60 grit sand paper and level everything out.

1 Like

This is the drill I currently own: download I probably need a better drill lol

holy shit that’s a lot of rocker

You should see the bustin sportster. It’s got atleast twice the amount of rocker

The rocker looks intense af in the board pic but it’s actuslly just the rear wheelflares

1 Like

my omen dropship has a shitload of rocker too. makes it look like a low rider

yeah, similar in construction. I’m about to rebuild mine soon. I like this design, i may adopts parts of it.

I like the upward clamp action and the automatic alignment it offers. Mine’s far simpler and i have to align the mold by hand every time.

1 Like

Will this be your third press?

Yeah i think it will be. Because the first one broke twice before i rebuilt it.

Eventually i’ll build a steel one. Part of the reason i build wooden ones is because i sort of hope i can come up with an idiot proof long-lasting design for DIYers for under $500 total in cost to build.

my press was under $400 all in i believe, but it’s already cracking. I think this time i’m going to plane the lumber for better lamination. But that will require a planer which a lot of people don’t have.

2 Likes

This press is $98 total including the rib mold. How do you get it so expensive?

used 2x8 pressure treated lumber, laminated 8 layers in an alternating pattern to get a big box on legs that can take a 47" max mold. Outer dimensions are 62.5" x 48", you can infer cost of lumber from that, then 2 dozen 4" screws per layer, then 2 dozen carriage bolts through the whole thing. Then 2 six ton jacks.

and it still cracked.

so my next step is to plane it and laminate it proper with tightbond III

3 Likes

47" is damn long. But if you need long ass decks like that, I see why you need a john-cena press and two 6 ton jacks. With an 11" wide blank, that’s 8,442kg (9.3 tons) of pressure at 12psi.

i triple dog dare ya to put your ribs in there :rofl:

1 Like

I eat like three cereal bowls a day bro, that calcium intake has got my ribs like heat treated steel.

1 Like

i’m pretty sure I saw something on snapchat the other day about bones being 5x harder than hardened steel…

1 Like

Heh heh heh…he said hard bone :grinning:

1 Like

that’s some bs

oh real mature :roll_eyes:

3 Likes