Setting up vesc with bldc tool, first time builder please help

Its 90A peak :-D!

But I wonder if 40A BMS is to small

I think you should go a little higher. Maybe 60 or even80

I run the motor min at -40 and the brakes are fine Your battery cutoffs are not correct You need to put the temp cutoffs back to default.

?? thanks again :slight_smile:

These are my settings for dual Vescs powered by 5000mah / 60C 10s Lipo battery.

Namasaki What’s your BMS at?

my bms is 80a continuous and 200a peak with 2 Vescs set at 60a max, I have not tripped the bms by current or heat.

1 Like

hi guys, first time builder and i want to avoid any mistakes so please tell me if im going to destroy something. i got the vesc and 6374 motor from DIYes, and my battery is 10s3p with 25r cells (60amp discharge, 7.5 ah). before i do anything with the vesc, i intend to remove the xt90 connector on the vesc and solder the battery’s discharge wires directly to the vesc’s wires. (the battery will have a switch). and i will be configuring the vesc with this 10s battery (the guy on the diyes website said its okay but some people said its not). any help would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Using the 10S battery should be fine. Make sure you set your voltage hard and soft cutoffs to around 3.6V per cell and 3.4V per cell. 40A battery amps and 80A motor amps should be good for that setup. If you want more juice you could probably raise them to ~50 and ~100 without trouble.

Also be veeeery veeeery careful when you solder your battery leads. Make sure they don’t touch each other or boom.

of course . its not me who does this its the pros who are building the battery for me. thanks for the help man

Thanks for the reply! But after I have done some reading I wounder why would you need a BMS to handle anything else but the charging of the battery if you have a VESC where you can set the max and min that the motor can draw from the battery?

The Vesc limits amps drawn from the battery. The BMS monitors the battery on a individual cell or cell group level and protects against over discharging and external shorts.

The Vesc can’t do that because it can only monitor the battery pack as a whole.

Ok. But if the VESC limits the amps drawn from the battery the BMS doesn’t have to be bigger/stronger than what you specified in the VESC right?