Shipping, WTF are y'all doing?

That’s what I do haha. I only have to do this like 2-3 times a year, when I’m doing my 6 month cleanings. So it works out good with the trials for shipping.

1 Like

So, when I use stamps.com I preorder sticker labels by the half sheet size(2 per 8.5 x 11 sheet). I create all my labels and print to PDF, then use word and fit 4 labels on to a 8.5 x 11 sheet. Cut and peel them, can have a full size label on something as small as a CD case bubble mailers. Anyway, most post office you can walk in and just leave the packages, the smaller ones you can drop into the inside package drop.

Basically I preprint all mine, and talk to no one at the post office - except the first time to find out where to leave prepaid packages. And basically walk in, give everyone funny looks as I cut through the line, put my package down in the spot, and walk out thinking, “these poor people never tried stamps.com, fuck that line.” lol

I guess you don’t live close by a post office… mine is about 2 miles away.

2 Likes

I actually work less than a mile from one, but its essentially closed because of some asbestos thing. They have a couple of window trucks out front but wont accept anything over a small priority box/envelope or over 9oz. Anything else, I have one close to my house, but they are only open 4 days a week and only from 10-2.

I have a Zebra label printer and a million labels. Found it in the mortuary (where we put all the crap machines for storage), brought it back to my office and set the bastard up. I usually do my thing online, then save the label as a PDF, dump it into photo shop and crop all the crap away, save as a PNG and print. The whole process takes 2 mins.

Even so, the only packages I have ever had lost were when I dropped them at the PO. If I wait for a receipt or give it to the carrier, typically it all goes good. I think they just throw the packages wherever. I mean, when I ordered my spot welder, it was sent signature required (for some reason), they didnt feel like getting out of the truck so they just drove around with it for 4 days until I called about the tracking info showing it had been here for awhile. I had to go in to sign for it. The USPS thinks a lot of themselves :slight_smile:.

My issue has been just the cost. But with the discovery of online 1st class mail I’m in good shape now :).

I am trying to ship a 5 lb package to the UK, but cant use 1st class as its over 4 lbs. Anyone have any suggestions? UPS, FedEx & DHL are all over $170 and USPS is $70.

Fill with helium until it’s under 4 pounds

6 Likes

/r/ShittyLifeProTips

3 Likes

@brenternet found this…

https://www.parcelmonkey.com

It was half the cost of USPS to the UK, twice as long ship time but still.

I’ve been using parcelmonkey in the UK for probably upwards of 8 years now, not really had any issues outside of user error.

If you don’t mind waiting it’s a good option for low cost shipping.

1 Like

Its definitely in my quiver now :slight_smile:.

Have you looked into using Regional Rate Boxes for priority mail. It’s cheaper than Flat Rate Priority Mail.IMG_8508 IMG_8509

2 Likes

I haven’t, didn’t know that was a thing. Thank you sir.

1 Like

You have to order the boxes online at usps website. They are free and shipped to you free of charge. Then when you create a priority mail ship label online, deselect flat rate and put in the actual weight of your package. Then the shipping options will include regional rates. There is a weight restriction of 15 lbs if my memory serves me. Shipping from CA to NY is about $10 Shipping within the state is less than a flat rate small box. The regional rate A box is perfect size for most esk8 parts.

6 Likes

I shipped my old Meepo from SF to Georgia for $35 via FedEx. No idea why you are paying $100 each way.

1 Like

Hence the thread.

1 Like

Whi did you use and what size is it? The reason mine was so pricey is because a 40 imch board in a box with no padding is still over the large package definition so incurrs a massive upcharge.

1 Like

You can use FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery. They mostly quote you by weight. I used a cardboard and just wrapped that around the board, even put some padding below the battery. Final size was 40x10x4 at 18lbs. You can calculate it here. https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/mobilestandalone?method=destinationCountryChange

Try to reduce weight as much as possible, take off the trucks and carry those with you, just ship the board and batteries. It should not cost you more than $50 one way within US.

1 Like