Should I buy a Winning Remote?

You can with the mini remote, I have done it.

2 Likes

Nano V2 or Mini RC, Depends on whether you like thumb control or trigger control.

As for the Mini RCā€™s I bought them for $60 and $30 and last I bought a bunch of them on eBay for about $18 ea. They all look and feel exactly the same. And they all seem to work exactly the same. BTW, The one in the video with dual receivers is from eBay.

2 Likes

Yea I was speaking specifically to the auto-binding nano v2

1 Like

Ya, it probably only works with a few controllers. Maybe only this one and possibly the Gt2b

1 Like

Get a steez v2 from @psychotiller, itā€™s pretty great.

1 Like

Oh ya, forgot about those.

2 Likes

I used Nanos on all my builds initially because they are compact and simple and look good. I really dont like that remote (nano) for high power 4wd builds though. You can tune your 4wd setup to work ok with the nano via various vesc settings, but high powered boards really need a longer throw on the trigger for good modulation between low and high power imo. Also, thumb throttles make it too easy to just lift your thumb and let the throttle pop back to the neutral position which can cause a massive deceleration that will easily send you flying.

Consider this simplified example. The nano has only 6mm of throw from neutral to full throttle. If you have a 120Amp 4wd board, thats 20Amps of power added for every mm of throttle applied. The GT2B remote has about an 24mm of throw which would be only 5Amps per mm. Micromanaging your thumb movement is no fun.

Nanos work fine on low to normal powered boards, but you mentioned 4wd so I figured Id share my experience with them. I have three of them but they are just sitting for now.

GT2Bā€™s are definately more expensive though. $30 remote, $28 3D printed enclousure, and 3 additional receivers at $7 each. About $80 total. All available on ebay.

2 Likes

Thanks for info, Iā€™ve got some thinking to do

1 Like

eskating.eu has replacement receivers:

https://eskating.eu/product/receiver-for-nano-remote-v2-only/

Sadly I can confirm the nano-x will NOT work with 2 receivers :persevere: Unless thereā€™s some trick Iā€™m missing

Yea I didnā€™t think it would. Since it auto-binds it stops trying to pair once it hooks onto the receiver.

Yeah it binds to one or the other not both

Am I missing something silly with the mini? It throttles when I turn off the remote, sends like 72% throttle signal when you turn it off

gotta set the failsafe (aka rebind with neutral throttle)

1 Like

Ahh k, knew it something silly @ARetardedPillow hereā€™s the fix for your remote too :wink:

Oh yea I fixed that yesterday lol, no more cruise control

Have you tried CAN between the front 2 and CAN between the back 2 with split PPM between front and back? Thus using 1 receiver and having front and rear traction control

How does CAN setup work for 4 VESCS? Iā€™d assume youā€™d have 1 master and 3 slaves send status over can to the master with all different IDs?

Im not sure about using CAN across all 4, Iā€™m talking about CAN between the 2 front and separately the 2 rear, then PPM between the front and back master. Though all this might be pointless if CAN works well across all 4

@scepterr @Jinra

4wd CAN: Same as 2wd CAN setting but with additional slaves. All are connected by a daisy chain can harness, and with different CAN IDā€™s.

It works, but doesnt seem robust. Ive tried 4wd CAN, 4wd split PPM, 4WD communication/tuning via CAN but control via ppm and front CAN with rear CAN connected via PPM. Still seemed to be plauged with random CAN tranceiver failures. I gave up on CAN and split ppm for 4wd setups. It was suggested that connecting 4 vescs in parallel lowers the resistance on the can bus circuit too much, but I donā€™t know if this was confirmed. I just run 4 receivers now and havent had a single vesc failure since.

1 Like