Skelly | Bustin EQ 36 Hollowcore | DIYES Single Kit | SK3 6364 190kv | Turnigy 150A ESC | GT2B Baby Buffalo | 6S3P 5000MAH

@psychotiller, is that F or C? If its C there’s something odd, since that’s higher than the injection moulding temp for abs. (Typical Injection Molding Temperature 204 - 238 °C (400 - 460 °F))

@Tuomalar About 10 minutes with the “heatshield” on top of it. A 1500W quartz heater would be ideal, but i cant seem to find any in Vancouver.

I live in the US. Don’t think I’ve ever used Celsius. Also, as I mentioned I watch the plastic to make sure it gets to the perfect sag before I form.

Ohh! That makes more sense! I might not have enough vacuum power to mold at the lower temps you are, also i need to add some weather stripping to make a better seal when i pull.

BTW, getting ready to CNC the new mold.

2 Likes

Quick update:

3 Likes

Looking good! How did you loop the wrist strap on your Baby Buffalo? Did you just close it over the loop, don’t think my loop is big enough to do the old pass through method.

@JonathanLau1983 yep, opened the case and closed it inside the loop.

3rd time is the charm they say? I’m glad! The main problem i was having was the temperature of the center was about 20C higher than the outsides, this difference meant that the outsides wouldn’t “pull”. So i used a bunch of cardboard to cover t he outer edges and slowly but surely i got the whole sheet to within 10C. I think it came out quite nice!

New CNC milled wooden mold, wrapped in 3M Blue and a nice coat of baby powder!

And the finished enclosure!

And just for your viewing pleasure, a before and after! Good god im messy when im working on something! (Yes, i need a workshop!)

Stay tuned! More updates to come soon, once i get the BMS and get everything together!

7 Likes

Im done! (well, until i get my bms form supower) I have to say, im extremly happy with how this build turned out! I might do some vinyl wrap for the shiny sk3 some time soon.

Here’s the insides, im using heavy duty velcro to be able to move things around if need be and keep them secured. anti spark also has a 3d printed case, but i forgot to take a picture after installing it.

4 Likes

Nice! Bet you’re itching to get it going. What’s the eta for the bms?

Already working, just have to open it up.for charging. Dunno about the BMS, I’m guessing a week or 2

Finally the BMS is showing up on Canada Post’s website, should be here in 3-7 working days :slight_smile:

Getting read for the BMS, already put on the charging port.

5 Likes

BMS Arrived! All wired up, connections all redone with 10AUG wire, although i need to rework them at some point to make them as short as possible to run FOC. For now ill just print a case for the BMS to sit in so its away from any shorts.

1 Like

If you have a problem with FOC & long wires, huge capacitor on the VESC input may help…

I just have to rework the wiring, thing is i have to put some thought into how i lay out my wiring and “modules”. Good thing is i covered the inside of the enclosure with industrial strength velcro, so i can re-arrange at will.

BTW, printed a case for the BMS to sit in:

1 Like

All done and street tested! The wife is learning to esk8 and already asking for her own board :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How is hill climbing with a single motor @245kv?

Its fine, but its 190kv

Swapped the switches for IP67 ones, pretty beefy ones at that! Also swapped the 2 pin charging port that allowed for accidental shorting to the more standard 2.5x5mm plug.

Also finished my arduino battery monitor project, works like a charm!

5 Likes

So i rebuilt the arduino monitor and added support for monitoring the vesc. Also added two “usb” ports so that i can stop opening the enclosure every other day.

New battery monitor, still using arduino nano, but a much more robust and accurate design with LM324 ics:

LM324 closeup, im using 30K 1% resistors for unity gain.

4 Pin ports for USB, with 3d printed caps for water proofing:

All fitted together:

6 Likes