Speedy electric sk8 Dancing Board for high school physics

@ZackoryCramer, Thanks for the @ tip, much faster. Yeah they are pretty motivated on wanting to have a go. I’ll risk asses how thats going to work then maybe govern the maximum continuous current to limit speed and get them to wear a full compliment of safety gear. The physics kids are the good and keen ones that are mostly behaved:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

You have to be the coolest teacher ever. lol.

add some danger manuals to the list…

1 Like

Can you teach my ap physics class? My current teacher is so boring

One question - who will paid for it? We are talking about teenagers. So in this case you should go with a china esc, hub motor, lipos and a normal clear deck from skateshred.

Okay mabe not lipos. In this case lions or lifepo with bms cause of little more of safetynes.

Probably best to not get a China ESC. Focbox is a better choice with a warranty

What i mean, he should care about the price, that he is reach not only the rich kids.

I think he is paying for it…?

@b264 thanks I’ll look up the MJ1’s as I would like to keep the board lite but it will be a long dancer so its not hugely important. I could convince myself to make a carbon fibre dancer but then maybe I’ve just watched one too many diy youtube videos?

@eb1925 Thanks, I had a really cool physics teacher at my state funded school 25 years ago so its my turn to give something back and have some fun.

3 Likes

People like you change the world for the better man, it might seem small but your esk8 could totally change a lot of kid’s lives and inspire them to do something inventive or ambitious. If you want some parts knowledge hit up the esk8 master @mmaner, he is the go to for most people here and has tried most everything you can on a board… twice.:joy::joy:

1 Like

@dragopepper @Bensaida I’m paying boys its a low socio economic area a good portion of the kids cannot afford a $1k board -thats why we are building two as a group funded by myself and another teacher, we both plan to also use them to commute to work to help justify the expense on our end.

1 Like

@eb1925 Thanks, I believe that if I can provide some basic skills on putting a project together the kids might have enough confidence to go it alone and tackle more ambitious projects or maybe just have a go at something. I’ll keep you guys posted when teaching begins in a month or so tell you how the kids responded. The physics students are really keen to get into it.

1 Like

@dragopepper If the program works well with the first batch of students I definitely think that we could run it using Chinese components and work out a low cost for students if the components are reliable enough. This may involve system design that is underrated and very conservative and slower (good for safety). In the first build myself and another teacher a paying for the stuff, I’m going to build a high end unit and the other teacher is building a budget unit. If the budget unit works safely it could be an option.

@b264 I’ll definitely look into the MJ1 batteries, I have plenty of lower amp lipo’s that I use in my model planes but I’m concerned from a safety point with them and the way they are packaged. It would require more protection for the cells. I use life packs for receivers also in model planes they are fantastic but expensive and heavy as you suggest. Thanks for suggestions

I wanna be able to push too?

Not being able to push is mainly a myth propagated by marketing departments of cheap hub motor boards. It is possible to make a belt drive that sucks to push but if it’s done right it’s not much different than a hub motor.

Use wide 15mm belts that are properly aligned and the correct tightness

@b264 didn’t know that you could push a belt drive, now might be worth looking into as could be cheaper option. I’ll have a youtube and google search to see what i can find in that department. Thanks for the info

Hmmm someone here tested the difference of pushing a hub motor vs belt drive and the belt drive came out on top. @Deckoz?

it you loosen the tension of the belt with an idler pulley and you allign it proppery it should be almost identical.

2 Likes