Spiral Bevel Gears Gearbox

I think 3d printing can only be tested but testing on the road still needs to use the right material, I am making all metal gear to @itsmikeholland

3 Likes

Awesome. Still wanna try these out.

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly what I was thinking. Iā€™m pretty sure this would give less torque than dual 6355, and harder to maintain. Itā€™s definitely a great idea, and I love the aesthetic, but I donā€™t think this will be as good as everyone hopes. I really hope Iā€™m wrong through!

1 Like

Why? Compare it to a single belt. Same traction, more complicated gearbox and truck axel assembly, more cost, less widely available, harder to fix.

I canā€™t see the benefit.

2 Likes

As it is a bevel gear, there is a coaxial strain on the motor bearings constantly

2 Likes

Our motors were initially made for RC airplanes. The propellers they use put coaxial strain on the bearings all the time and they held up just fine. I donā€™t see a problem here.

2 Likes

Maybe this is the problem, so the mounting distance of the two gears needs to be accurate.

image I have put a thrust bearing on the motor bearing. I think the possible reason is that 3D printing canā€™t bear big twists.

Itā€™s easy to make a powerful board, but itā€™s hard to make a powerful board thatā€™s lightweight and efficient. One motor driving both wheels on the same axle certainly doesnā€™t solve all the weight and efficiency issues, but it would be a step in the right direction.

i doubt that the loads that the RC airplanes are anywhere near the load of driving a human.

RC planes are basically carrying its own weight and the wind resistance, whereas we are now using the motors for powering a motor to drive a human (which is easily multiple times the weight of the aircraft)

Just want to throw this in here: I use Taulman Alloy 910 for my big mod. 2 gears on the mountainboard and it works great with a steel wheel gear. I donā€™t know which filament yours is made of right now, but this would be an idea to keep prototyping. But itā€™s hard to print ofc.

4 Likes

Didnā€™t you have a problem like this on the brakes? I am using SLA 3D printing I am making nylon and steel for @itsmikeholland testing.

The braking problem is different. It never was the gears that broke or stripped, it was the motor mount flexing/breaking under the torsion that occured when braking. Nylon handles that better than PETG but i want to try Polycarbonate at some point.

Why not simply use/adapt parts for angle grinder? Can find it on ebay for reasonably fair price.

3 Likes

But the propeller is solely putting coaxial force on the bearing while with a bevel gear only part of the load is coaxial. That should easily outweigh the difference in moved weight. But I fear that we both only assume and without actual numbers this discussion is meaningless. If you have some force number we can compare let me know.

Awesome

Thanks man, Iā€™m restoring it going to try and keep it all original just new electronics and battery

this is something i also want to do one day. i mean this type of drive must be quite efficient right? there is no possible problem with CAN or Split PPM, you just need one VESC ergo more space in the enclosure or a smaller enclosure, more even torque. Also i think since each motor wastes space for sensors ect, the effective amount of copper/iron must be higher even if the volume of the can is smaller compared to 2 motors of the same volume.

That sounds pretty lit man , what motor is that? ?

And can someone split this to a new topic like ā€œSingle Dual Belt Driveā€ donā€™t wanna peer this threads off topic

Maybe bigger gears be quieter n stronger. Or u could cast the parts in resin and carbon after making molds n be stronger.

W two motor on one fixed axle w one esc risky they lose synch n also that axle would inhibit turning.

2 Likes