Thanks everyone I did it

I have wanted to do this for years but finally with all that I learned on here I finally managed it. In fact we have two on the go. Single motor, vesc control hand laminated board in our own press. Just had our first test drive in the dark. One piece of advice that I missed was hc-06 is no good with iPhone apps. Got 2 spare now.image image image

27 Likes

You got any pictures of your build process? Congrats on getting it running!

Any plans for a second build?

1 Like

You’re in Dorset? Word of advice if you see a silly man with a ridiculous beard on a hummie build with bergmeisters on it going as fast as he can at slow walking pace run because thats @brenternet and meeting him in here is bad enough.

12 Likes

Not really we might be on the second as it is the same build really. The fun bit was laminating the board. I looked at off the shelf designs but I wanted something that looked like a skateboard not a vision in carbon fibre. Just not my style.

1 Like

I thought I was the only silly Sod in #dorset, I did speak to @bigben he is in our neck of the woods he certainly does nice enclosures. I had mine specially made by Tupperware, one off design custom.

4 Likes

Good to see you get the board together. I will give you a shout when I get over your way one day. @brenternet is in your town so if you need any wheels he is your man. I think he has picked up every variation of wheel available…

4 Likes

I have a lot of wheels it’s true. I am also a full bore adult with a mortgage and children so please ignore these gentlemen and thier inflammatory comments.

I’ve actually seen a bunch of guys on the prom on meepos and one chap on an evolve but I’ve never spoken to them because obviously we are the elite diy lords.

There’s a guy in Salisbury building his board @GingerSteve - he’s proper ginger though, why can’t people be normal?

14 Likes

on that remote you can unscrew the ‘wheel’ on it for less bulk considering you won’t be using it.

Congratulation. The first love is forever. Welcome to the club… Now be prepare to spend most of your nights ans money on it :laughing:

1 Like

Lol every time I see a electric board I meet them to see if I can find someone to ride with. Every time I realize it’s pointless. If they can’t easily go 25 MPH continuously for at least 10 miles then I honestly just don’t wanna ride with you…

2 Likes

I am to old for silly speeds. The safety margin for me is being able to run off the board the days of tuck and roll are long gone

4 Likes

Congratulations! Nice that you pressed your own deck, is it birch?

I wish we had time to tuck and roll when something goes wrong at high speed, happens so fast that we might get half an expletive out before we are reunited with our beloved asphalt.

6 Likes

Yep 1.2mm birch ply. Both boards have different thickness as still trying to work out that. Curve red in both directions and all done with bolts, wood and pva glue. Vacuum press would be nice I guess but you can spend more time learning new tools rather than get on with it.image image image

12 Likes

Nice, I like birch pintails. I would stay away from a vacuum press if you plan on doing anything with aggressive curves. They may work better at sea level but I can only use mine for epoxy and cloth laminates at 4500 ft.

1 Like

4,500ft. Higher than any point in the UK. (By a long way) Bournemouth is probably at 20ft Above sea level!

Es8??? Esk8!!! Was that on purpose?

1 Like

Also nice board btw.

Ah yea @bigben showed me these pics! Impressive quality there man!!

I’m on a path to pressing decks as well, but making it overly complicated and long winded!

2 Likes

Its not silly until it’s over 35 IMO. The crashes are rough tho… motorcycle jacket and pants is a must for me.

1 Like

Did the first 3 miles shake down. So what went down? Not me but some issues. The motor mount wanted to come loose easily solves with some thread lock. The bigger problem was an intermitted drive problem. Close investigation showed the phase wire connections(bananas) coming loose and shorting together. I am now making some longer leads to introduce some slack. Great more soldering.

1 Like