The first questions to make your firsts decisions

Hi, I’m new here and i’m trying to build my own ESK8 from zero.My intention is not just buy some components and build it, my intention is know everything by why I do it.

I had read the begginer’s guides and are so interesting, but I have some questions and i thought maybe you could help me.

There are three more important things, motor, esc/vesc and the batteries.

My first question is, where I start? In other words, what is the first component that i have to think about?

I’ve been thinking about this, and I think is or the motor or batteries. Then, what motor I have to choose?

My premises I think are, I want 50 km/h (31mph) and my weight is 65kg.

I saw that a lot of people choose or a 190kV motor or a 240kV motor, but really don’t know why.

In resume, I’m not looking to know what specific components I need, I need to know how to start, what I have to thing, because I think the other decisions they will be a consequence of this first start.

Thank you so much and sorry if something is not correct!

1 Like

do you have any idea how fast 30mph on a skateboard is?

How many years of riding experience do you have?

2 Likes

In my opinion you should start from a budget. The amount of money will dictate which components you’ll buy.

2 Likes

I’m 28 years old, since I 'm 12 years. But ok, I can go less fast, what do you recomend?? :slight_smile:

I think the first big investment should be in the ESC. This is the piece that can take to longest to replacement, cost the most to replace/repair, and is where the most amount of things can go wrong.

Next would be on the structural integrity of the board. You can buy nice batteries, but whats the point if they are just going to be flopping around and getting abused.

Motors are not something I would worry about spending money on. Turnigy motors from Hobbyking are just fine, only issues I’ve ever had with them are the internal bearings but these can be swapped and replaced, heck even a whole new motor will be under $100 to replace.

The things that DONT need to be expensive are the wheels and the actual board. Everything else I would not recommend going cheap with

http://chibatterysystems.com/shop/10s2p-37v-5ah-samsung-25r-e-board-pack <USA only https://www.enertionboards.com/electric-skateboard-parts/FOCBOX-programmable-brushless-motor-controller/

everything else you can buy cheap

1 Like

These are good questions. I think if I were in your position I would start with batteries. They are the most expensive component and also the most limiting both in range and in power if you get them wrong.

For instance, a 2P setup will not give you enough range unless you are skating to your mailbox, whereas a 6p is probably going to be more battery (and weight) than you’ll ever need.

a 10S setup will give you 30MPH on flat easy. You’ll probably die but if that’s your requirement so be it. a 12S setup will allow you to climb just about any hill around. But again, weight is a consideration.

And, in line with @Grozniy’s statement, if you go with a 12S6P (for instance) it’ll cost you a fortune.

1 Like

I’ve got a 10s6p build in mind though I’m not sure how to estimate the torque it can generate. I’m planning to go with the Carvon Troque drives but in general not sure how to check the torque output of motors. Is this more dependent on the batteries?

I’ve read that lower Kv motors can put out more torque but not sure why and also don’t know if or where the motor wattage comes in. Really interested in the thread as I wasn’t sure where to even begin deciding parts, Like what part would the build revolve around as I thought it would be the deck as this would decide the batteries and components I could fit on it

Your battery will decide many things for you, I would suggest it as a starting point.

It decides:

Tool investement (are you building it yourself or buying it? Is is a simple LiPo setup?), build weight, enclosure size, motor type and kv, enclosure shape, BMS requirement, speeds/ranges you can achieve and deck size. It’s also likely going to be your biggest investment in the board and will give you an idea of your overall budget.

2 Likes

All legit questions

Definitely doable and reasonable if you ride within your limits and intend on growing into your board… so to speak. Never underestimate a Boards power

To keep it basic… image if you built two different boards using these motors…everything was the same except for the KV. The 190kv will have a lower top speed than the 240kv. (Rev per volt…yadda yadda yadda) The 190kv will have an easier time making it up an incline. The 240kv will have a tougher time, thus needing more amps to get you up the same incline. There is a give and take. You can change motor characteristics by changing the number of teeth in the pulleys.

To see a full effect … change gearing, voltage, wheel size…play with this and see how different set ups effect your speed.

http://calc.esk8.it/

1 Like

So that means I can go with lower Kv and get more torque? Planning on the Carvon V4 TD’s but not sure how much torque it can output at 75kv. Also how do you know the motor efficiency? Seeing as its a direct drive I should be putting 1:1 gear ratio on the calculator, is that right? also why doesn’t the calculator ask for the number of cells in parallel? is it due to simply that the cells in parallel only affect range?

Simply yea.

More than you need if running at 12s

Just guess because its is very variable on each ride… 85% is fine

It doesn’t matter. What matters is the Voltage. This is designed to estimate top speed, not distance.

1 Like

Thanks! alright that definitely helps. I was pondering on a 12s but according to the Carvon site, it says only use 10s for some reason. Only thing why I’m not considering going over 10s

12S is right at the upper limit of what the VESC can handle - especially if you aren’t cooling the FETs. So you’re in danger of blowing up expensive components.

10S is a nice mid-point between power and trouble.

DougM

1 Like

Oh I see. Thanks I didn’t really know about that. I’ve got no experience with electronics or hardware which is why I was basing it off similar builds to what I wanted. I was planning on getting dual ESCapes so I don’t know if that would allow me to go 11s

Because… Noobs that build 12s Carvons blown their vescs when they punch the throttle with no load on the wheels to watch them go fast…yeah don’t do it. 10s should provide the average rider all the power one needs.

And this is me at 12s 38mph…totally unnecessary

2 Likes

Woah alright that 12s was insane! I didnt realize that was you. Alright I just want torque really I dont plan on going 38mph. I’ll take your word on the 10s power delivery. It’s my first build and I wanna do it right than ride something that can turn into a rolling fireball lol I plan on riding it on some slopes but nothing too aggressive or long. so as long as I can get up them hills without crawling then I’m all good. Thanks for all the tips!

For Carvons just keep the wheels rolling. Don’t try to crush up a hill from a stand still. Never advisable regardless of set up. No one really does that unless they made it specifically for hills.

1 Like

By the way…i still run a single 2.5v carvon. Its as close to non-powered feeling off throttle as I could get.

It depends on the pilot, where you ride and what feel you want.

1 Like

Thanks you’re a ton of help! I’m planning on building on a Loaded Basalt Tesseract so I’m hoping for a good stable ride for everyday use. Hoping to get pneumatics but would need a 4WD which is difficult to do now I believe not to mention it would add even more weight lol. I’ve got a build log up if you want to take a look at what I’ve got planned. Slowly going to order the parts as my budget won’t allow me to order them right away. Planning to start with the batteries but I’ve gotten in on the 2nd batch GB for the firefly remotes

2WD is plenty - even for Pneumies. It’s all about how you gear it.

You don’t really need 4WD unless you’re doing serious mountain boarding. Or racing. Plus it’ll cost a lot to build. You’d need 4 VESC’s, etc.

Someone more knowledgeable than I might correct, but I think your choices are 10 or 12 based on available chargers and Battery Management Systems (BMSs). I don’t think much is available for 11S.

1 Like