The iBoard | Loaded Vanguard | SK3 6382 168kv | 10S Lipo | VESC ESC | 83 mm Enertion Powerwheels

@elkick Hmm, the really weird part is that it is able to see when I turn the motor manually. It can calculate the rpm as well as duty cycle and everything. It just won’t spin…

1 Like

@Blasto does these two ERPM limit settings actually do anything in this config? aren’t they basically set to infinit as I understand it, my 190kv motor is doing a max of around 7000 rpm on 10S. Still trying to figure out all these VESC settings.

I believe you should multiply your RPM with your motor “T” number/2. Like my motor is a 168kv 16T motor, so with 10s my max RPM would be 42V · 168kv = 7.056 RPM, and then to get ERPM: 7056 · 16/2 = 56.448 ERPM. You set it to 70.000 ERPM because I read that is the max the VESC will operate 100% stable at. I’m not entirely sure though, this is also very new to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A small update: New day, still DRV8302 error. (Thought i might have to cool down or something) A new, better picture of the VESC itself:

Looks ok, you could try it with the small outrunner motor to check if it’s the VESC or maybe the other motor. And please apply “read default config” to reset the values completely before doing the motor detection. Also, when switching back reading the default config values is always a good idea prior to detection and configuration.

Okay, tried with new motor, still the same error. I’m not entirely sure this little motor is 100% functional since it it a long time since I last used it, but it really should be working. I don’t have any others to test with, but I don’t think both my motors are broken at least. So I believe it is the VESC that is the problem unfortunately. :sob:

DRV8302 errors are not uncommon and not always due to rider misuse. They fail. I know Ben has changed some layout and other things to help with some voltage surging (which does a great job frying DRV - i know i did it twice). I found a sure fire way of killing mine while bench testing - hard start/stops a few times too many and too quickly. (don’t do that)

Regardless of what lead up to it - you almost certainly need to replace the DRV chip. About $5-6 for the chip, and a hot air setup to remove/replace. I had help doing mine and it took about 10-15min ea with me asking dumb questions along the way (slowing it down). Realistically it probably could take about 5 min if you know what you are doing.

HTH -GL!

1 Like

We will sort that out! I’ll respond to your email and we will find a way to get it going again.

1 Like

Fantastic news! @elkick sent me a new VESC, and this one seems to work perfectly! I rode it around the city, and DAMN the speed of this thing! Holy moly it goes fast. I got up to 35km/h and chickened out. I really dare giving it full throttle… I can feel that there’s a lot of power left when already running at high speeds.

This is the temporary setup so far! Enclosures are on the way, and I can’t wait to complete it!

8 Likes

well shit son, that works and it looks clean.

1 Like

haha, looks like you didnt even unwrap your vesc :yum:

Haha, true! Everything just fits perfectly and snug in this box, that’s why I’m using it. :slight_smile:

Dude, just wrap that thing in duct tape and you’re set!

But well done.

Another temporary update:

Replaced the cardboard box with the familiar IKEA case :smiley:

1 Like

Such s nice build till you look down

Enclosures are on the way, so it will be much better :slight_smile:

Yeah. It is just such a sahame to ruine a beautiful board

Not everyone has the luxury to make a top notch build from the start, is it therefore a shame to make something that works in the meanwhile?? I have alot of respect for people like him that just want to enjoy their board as practically as soon as possible :wink:

2 Likes

It works, it’s fun, it’s practical and it’s cheap. Nice build :smiley:I like that board though and with that setup it seems like you can still get some flex out of it without harming the electronics

1 Like

Most definitely but I was commenting on how nice his build was