The Jet Orca | Jet Spud 29" | 30Q 18650 11s3p | FOCBOX Unity | Avio Urethane Gear Drive | eBoosted Single Stack Jet Spud Enclosure | Hoyt Puck Remote | Proton Display Control Panel

I thought about that but didn’t really like that solution since it’s kinda unclean. If I can;t figure out a way, I’ll have to compromise and do this.

This I didn’t think of. Might consider this if modifying the riser goes south. @okp, you wouldn’t happen to have any more of these would you? I know they’re no longer listed on your website.

2 Likes

let me check. Shoot me a PM, if I got one left it’s yours for free.

2 Likes

The build is coming along don’t forget about it when the best builder 2019 starts

1 Like

Im waiting to see someone release one too. Hopefully someones already working on it.

Lol there’s no way my build can win , I can already see the year of innovation ahead of us. We got @linny, @nuttyjeff, and @3DServisas pulling out drive trains that wasn’t even commercially available years ago. More and more firefly derivatives with cool features are being made and , @Deodand doesn’t get enough praise for the unity cause it’s a beautiful as piece of hardware with some features only seen in Chinese boards. 2019 it’s going to be a fierce competition.

Same , if only I knew how to design stuff

3 Likes

Heat gun game in , this is ganna fun fun since I have a strong fear of getting burned. Question though , are my motors ganna be screwed ? Since I’m putting so much in that area ?

1 Like

Yesterday was progress fucking city. This’ll be part 1/2 since I didn’t take many pictures throughout the process. Monday might have a fully assembled Orca if I can secure all the needed materials in time.

So here we go:

After unsuccessfully trying to get the motor pinion off by heating it up 1000 Degree Farienheight

I went over to Kaly’s shop the next day. Man when I tell you it’s an ESK8 Builder’s wonderland (the man has everything). That was actually my first time meeting Kaly and he’s a pretty cool guy. Throughout the course of the day, I learned a lot, both about building and about his operation. I gained a new found respect toward vendors as a whole and the labor that goes into it. I was only on my feet for 6 hours and I knocked out instantly when I got home. For him to be doing this 6 days a week? Yea I’m not going to be looking at prices the same way I do in this community. There’s a labor portion of the price that really goes underappreciated.

But anyway, let’s go over what was done.

The first thing Kaly did was removed the motor pinion instantly with a blowtorch. He did within a few minutes that I tried for two hours.

Leaving the motor pinion to cool down, he then moved on to advise me on where I should place the enclosure components. Originally I planned on securing the components on the enclosure but that changed:

One note is that if anyone goes down this route, be sure to due cutouts of the neoprene before applying to the deck, it’s a bitch to get off and carve.

We also did some modifications of the Switchblade Riser, allowing it to not get in the way of the enclosure mouth (will get better quality pictures)

similar to @Virol’s suggestion, the “teeth” of the enclosure was cut to allow the wires to run free for all.

After successfully modifying the riser, we then when back to assembling the Aortal Drive. Originally (before going to Kaly’s), after filing for an hour, I gave up on using a key way for one of the pinion’s and decided to let the Loctite be the sole retainer. Kaly fixed that quickly by filing down the key and making it fit. Now both pinions have Loctite 680 and a key.

After Kaly teaching me about proper backlash in relation to gear drives, I then proceeded to do some motor detection in order to see if the sound was okay (gear drives are high pitched mf’s) and see if everything was alright. I did run into some issues that I’ll investigate after posting this update.

After getting the motors going we went back to fully assembling the gear drive, the backlash was set, the gears were in, all that was needed was grease. For this gear drive, it’s a bit tricky. Quoted from @deucesdown:

Seeing as I was at Kaly’s already:

for compatibility, I check some of the listed chemicals in it using this chart

Didn’t take a pic of the fully assembled gear drive, but I can now say Gear drive is now done and assembled.

I did run into some issues with the bearings and the Nylon parts not paying nice but once I had the wheel’s on and locked them down with the locknut, everything stayed in place. 97mm seems a bit sketchy clearance wise for the Aortal, so I would advise going 100mm+. I’ll be running the 110mm Juggernaut Tourqueboard wheels

After fully assembling the gear drive, I then moved on to securing the electronics, First I Flipped the battery over since I realized the wires met perfectly when I did so. One problem I have with the battery is that it doesn’t play nice with the concave of the Jet Spud, causing it to not allow the enclosure to be flush with the deck. This is even more prevalent when I used velcro which made it sit up higher. I’m going to have to use 3/4 wide neoprene to fill the space the enclosure isn’t able to get to.

As you can see above I cut out parts of the Neoprene on the deck to stick the velcro on (did the same for the receiver). Might have to do the same for the Unity. Going back to Kaly’s on Monday to resume.

9 Likes

Updated Parts List

Part Logs*

Accrued Total as of 09/03/2018: $1644.94

*excluded products that were bought but not being used in the final build. Add + $100 to $300 for tools and material cost

7 Likes

Looking beautiful, bro! Big shout out to Kaly for helping you out. Can’t wait to see it run! Cheers

1 Like

That grease is the same grease that zealous uses in its bearings. The orca is looking could can’t wat to see it fully built.

2 Likes

Good to hear that you had that problem with the drives fixed, and that you learn a lot from him. Hope we see the goons result soon

Anything New?

If you’ve gotten the proton how do you like it?

1 Like

I’ll update sooner or later , not in the right head space at the moment. [quote=“DEEIF, post:113, topic:67040, full:true”] If you’ve gotten the proton how do you like it? [/quote]

Haven’t hooked it up yet, since I’m using the unity I’ll Need to change the pins so I can use it on the secret UART ports since the UART port on the proton isn’t really working out for me. I’m also waiting on someone to sell the case in good quality or sell a fully assembled Davega.

3 Likes