THE Overkill - 4WD 36KW 20S13P 100+MPH build from scratch

How can you push 600A through the wires? You could use a solid copper rod and it would still melt

1 Like

Multiple wires

4 Likes

Holy hell

10char

2 Likes

definitely watching this. gonna be awesome!!!

1 Like

Iā€™d like to know his motivation. Hence my question. I find It the most intriguing.

2 Likes

That battery is not to mess with.

Fully charged = 84 VDC!!

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d be comfortable assembling and mounting that battery and all the electronics. Would definitely use some kind of insulated electricians gloves.

http://www.mid-westelectric.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/MWE7.jpg

6 Likes

@rojitor :slightly_smiling_face: 3 years ago (was 27 at the time) my family would not allow me to buy a motorcycle. Told them i would build something 10x worse. They laughed. Rest is engineering. btw. got a motorcycle last year and continuing with the build. @sebike You can actually grab main terminals with bare hands and barely feel a tingle, unless you have very sweaty hands at the moment it is not this bad. However battery is very dangerous bencause it would output over 2.000 amps during short circuit melting everything and blowing up in flames splendidly, and i would rather not see $1500 going up in smoke. @Pedrodemio Basically yes. Torque would be 3x greater since i am ā€œmatingā€ 3 stators together plus then another +50% bencause of the magnets used - original motors have N38 magnet pole inductance of 9kGs, while mine N52 have 14kGs. It allows for a higher torque from same motor at the cost of more heat loss within core itself. For ā€œnormalā€ riding up to lets say 50km/h it wont be a problem and at the speed runs there wont be ebough time to overheat the motor. Eddy losses go with the square of the motor speed - 3x the speed 10x the losses. Especially that motor would spin only at 3.500 RPM at 200 km/h while it spun 8.000 in original application - drone propeller drive. Another benefit is that you need less winding turns for a given KV, which means a thicker wires and less conduction loss.

15 Likes

You need to be very careful. If you were to touch main terminals with opposite hands you could get a potentially lethal jolt through the chest/heart

8 Likes

@FullMetal_Machinist What a crazy build, love it

How did you achieved the figures for the hub motors? based on the original specs of the motors you teared down?

1 Like

Damn this is mental but props to you, good luck with it! :smiley:

1 Like

For real :joy: I was so stoked about completing my (very average) drivetrain today.

This is wild

2 Likes

Nice, please add temperature sensors to that so we can see how hot the motors got

2 Likes

R u trying 2 kill yourself?

1 Like

winding with 8awg wire sounds really hard but ideal with only having to do one turn: You could maybe get a cast conductor completely filling the slot as apposed to cylindrical and lots of bare space. after you wind it you should get some good stator glue to fix everyting against vibrations and shorting. getting a 8awg wire to be solidly held on the stator sounds hella hard. iā€™ll wind a motor by pulling on a 17 or 16 awg with the other end fixed tight against a doorknob or something and I pull it on in tension but at 8 awg thatā€™s a work out and 3x the diameter. getting the wire to bend around the teeth, maybe youā€™ll need a tool.

with so many teeth on the stator what erpm would you have to hit to get to those high speeds?

2 Likes

Hope you are looking at controlling the surrounding conditions when testing speed, if you lose it you will most likely be a highsiding & that hurts even without a tree

I know you will be wearing your liter bike gear but spare a thought for the speed at which a get-off on an esk8 going say 85mph vs a motorbike, with a motorbike you have much more options in terms of laying bike down, sliding out etc. An esk8 going that speed wil most likely rag-doll you, I would look at those instant inflatable vest over the motorbike jacket with a full back protector and top quality motorbike helmet.

17 Likes

RIP. Please leave it to me in your will :slight_smile:

4 Likes

OFFS

You could not pay me to ride this thing.

Also, I hope you donā€™t sweat under the stress of putting the electronics together :joy: moist hands donā€™t mix well with that kinda voltage

2 Likes

Well I thought 200a at 12s was a lotā€¦ the one thing I can say from experience is be careful being strapped in to such a heavy board is dangerous. On lighter boards, you can lift it a little like a snowboard. But heavier boards that you strap into are trickery when falling.

The question I have for you is how are you going to get the traction to put that kind of power to the pavement? With that kind of power, I imagine your going to need a large contact patch.

3 Likes

What about breaks?

2 Likes

Fuck me. I was one of the smartest kids in school. Now I feel dumb :rofl:

Canā€™t wait to see the final product

1 Like