THUMPER | Trampa Holy Pro | Dual Trampa 118KV Motor | Trampa Motor Mount + 3D Printed Cover | Dual VESC 4.10 FOC Sensored | 42V 10AH Li.ion with 30A BMS | Metr.at Bluetooth Module | 2.4Ghz Remote

Ok guys I’ve just uploaded the current stl in thingiverse for the motor cover as well as the belt cover, enjoy. Don’t forget to give me likes in Thingiverse! :smiley:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2532337

3 Likes

What kind of ESC? 4.12HW? What manufacturer? I can help when I know the hardware.

45A motor, 45A Battery (if it can cope with it), regen -30A, battery min -20 to -30A (if your battery can cope with it)

Frank

Frank

Thanks for posting your design @laurnts!

I was working on a design of my own and I thought I’d share with everyone. Ended up taking the motor mount apart to trace it with a pen and the scanned it into my computer to trace in Fusion360, lol.

1 Like

What sort of range do you get on this thing?

About 20 km and abit longer if it’s not being pushed full throttle all the way.

Feels good to be back in The Netherlands and just fixed my THUMPER hall sensor issue. In fact it wasn’t hall sensor issue after all, but the rounded PCB copper wiring seems to be broken. Made a jumper cable, testing it and it works like a charm. I’m back on the street! Heyaaaaa…

4 Likes

Did you get used to the lack of ability to make share turns?

Did you ended up loosing the trucks or tighten them to have more control at high speeds?

Yes turning is very hard, so I took 2 front dampas to make it easier to turn. Beware If you take out the dampas, it would be easier to fall at high speed. So yea there is upside and downside on this. I think I would like to take out the rear dampas too so take it easier to turn. I don’t ride that high speed anyway.

Hay @laurnts have you ridden other electric skateboards with similar setup and how would you rate your trampa belt system against others? I want to buy this thing but would like a little more feedback then whats been written about if you wouldn’t mind giving your personal opinion, it would be appreciated.

According to me there aren’t much different between belt drive / hub drive / direct drive. The hub drive is much faster, but you need sensored setup for that. The belt drive / direct drive is more torquey, but thats more to it. How it rides, it feels the same really. I experienced that hub drive might have issues with axle alignment if you hit something hard / manufactured improperly (I guess more on longboard instead of mountainboard). As for belt, it drives quiet silently, but I suppose helical gears would do as well. Gear drives would nice because it will not slip tooth and its easier to maintain. Why would I get direct drive would be the efficiency and maintainability. Yet one bonus of belt drive I think is there is slack / flexiness on the belt that makes more smoother rides.

wow Hubs are really faster you say, I am a electric bike maker and had both belt, chain and hub and i have to say that even in the electric bike world high voltage high power hubs are still king of the road. I feel like Hubs on a skateboard also need to get to about 60 to 70 volts nominal before they start taking of big time. Also there is a problem of thermal management, e.i Hub motors over heating DIY Ebikers solved this problem to a large extent by putting ferro fluid into the hub motor so the heat generated at the stator is transfered to the shell but because on the skateboard the shell is directly connected to the urethane, I don’t know if it would be a good idea as the heat generated would cause the urethane to come of the hub.

The best wheel setup, the way i see it, would be to have a Hub motor inside a mountain board wheel that way the heat can dissipate along the rim

Yes I have to agree that hub is king, the simplicity and efficiency of the build is remarkable. Yet I also agree that more volts needed to reduce the amount of amps draw as amps = heat. I previously own an electric longboard with hub motors and its heating up big time on slopes and long coast. Urethane doesn’t dissipate heat so well, so heat sink / fan is needed (Yet again since the hub is so close to the ground, having a fan is not really the best option).

Nevertheless eboard is different than ebike. I seriously doubt there is a person riding more than 1 hour on their board continuously in the same speed, hence the heat on those hubs are not insanely hot. Even if there are some people who are mad enough to ride the whole hour, the battery are too small compared to ebike battery so they’ll end before its getting too hot. Hence the situation you’re given technically by means unlikely to happen.

Hub motor is a nice addition to a Mountainboard build, however more often I see emountainboarders tends to go off road, although the wheels are pneumatics, the impact would still be quite hard. The amount of abuse you can do to an eboard is quite insane and hub motor will tend to broke more often if used vigorously.

So from the information presented, can it be safely assumed that belt is still the best for electric skateboards followed closely by orbital gears?

From the various builds I did for electric longboard, I found that single large belt drive is the lightest, efficient, torquey and most cooleed operated electric longboard. Its just rocksolid good, the range is incredible and on top of that you can run sensorless. If you can go with planetary, thats better as belt you need to tension them and tension equal to friction = efficiency loss.

However lately I like dual small motor build as time to time traction matters and high speed riding is always better off with dual. On top of that I just like the simetry of the build.

2 Likes

Thats great, I read some where that planetary can be a little noisy, what are your thoughts.

Finally after long year of no update, I finally put some effort back in Fusion 360 as well as 3D Printing. I have decided to add a nice back light (Meilan X5 Bike Backlight - Aliexpress).

The design in Fusion 360

If you notice, I added a flat square piece for a license plate. And this is the final result.

Don’t ask me how I got it, but this is a legitimate road insurance plate :smiley: PS: If you notice, there are also 2 2.4GHz antenna mounted on the side for less interference!

7 Likes

Does this mean that you can drive the board on the roads legally, like if it was a car? :yum:

By means of getting stopped by police, they normally stopped you because of not having road insurance. This provides that. However I am not sure if the type of mountainboard its applicable to the license I am having. So it’s kind of grey.

2 Likes

how did u get it is it just of a other vehicel? okay sry u ask not to ask, did som googling the plate is conected to noting, gues also no insurens

It will be fully active starting May 2018. It’s road insurance plate instead of license plate. Similar what Segways have.