Trampa Spur Gear Drive (with helical option), Trampa 6380s

I swear if summer comes around and youre not making the gear drives for the trampa mini trucks :upside_down_face: :laughing:

1 Like

lol thank you for keeping it real

1 Like

FWIW I don’t see the @trampa SGD as a copy of existing gear drives, only so many ways to skin a cat. There are sufficient differences that make it unique enough IMHO.

They definitely didn’t go for the smallest size though, and I especially like the CNCed aluminum cover. Just a little confused with the high reduction gear ratio.

1 Like

You are the man. Thank you.

Yes, I do have the same question! Eager to put these drives to a test, here.

Hopeful we can entice @sofu to objectively test them for us, or at least be part of a three-person editorial on which drive is “best” for the reviewer and why we chose that unit. Sophia is the real deal and her reviews are second-to-none.

4 Likes

Actually more gearing is always better and makes the electrical system more efficient. You can’t have enough of it until your motor is getting inefficient due to very high ERPM. The belt drive is a very good, clean reliable and silent system but it is limited a bit in gearing further dow. Making a spur gear drive with a similar gearing ratio to a belt system doesn’t make so much sense unless you want the gears for the sake of having gears. This is not enough for me to justify a second system in the fleet of boards we offer. 1:6 is quite nice, produces tons of torque at the wheel while the motor is not sweating at all. This justifies the increased noise level you get when using gear.

1 Like

I have asked this question in another thread but I am also putting it here to get more opinions. As some of you know, I just received a Trampa MTB

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/trampa-mountain-board-buy-or-build/72702/39?u=taz

It has come with the enclosed belt drive.

Since I have not used the board yet (battery still in the making) I am thinking about trying to exchange it with the gear drive.

I will definitely loose a lot of top speed (5.9:1 vs 4.4:1 gearing) but this may not be such a big deal on a mountainboard.

I have tried to comprise a pros-cons list to help me make up my mind.

Belt drive: Pros: Quieter Smoother power transfer Belts can be procured everywhere Easier to change gearing Practically zero maintenance

Cons: Drag Belts may skip or strip (highly unlikely on a 15mm system with idler pulley) Bigger size

Gear drive: Pros: Smaller size Less drag Does not skip (if it does strip a gear though it is more of a problem) Less weight (?) Better mounting system to the truck (can be retro fitted to the belt system also)

Cons: Too short ratio Cannot easily change ratio (at the time of this post there is no alternative) Noisy If a gear strips it has to come from Trampa. Lubrication needed.

I have no experience with either on durability but I am familiar with belts on esk8s but not gears.

What would you choose and why?

2 Likes

Just fixed some points from my perspective :slight_smile:

Belt drive:

Pros: INCORRECT Smoother power transfer (Belts have lag compared to instant torque transfer on gears, also with brakes. Brakes are like day and night difference on gears) INCORRECT Practically zero maintenance (many people change at least one belt a month, with gears you can ride few K miles without any maintenance)

Gear drive: INCORRECT Less weight (?) (can weight more for sure than belts)

Cons: Cannot easily change ratio (don’t know about trampa but for e.g. ours change motor gear) Lubrication needed. (not always plastic/metal can run dry without issues too, but its a bit louder)

3 Likes

My thoughts in italics

3 Likes

Regarding lubrication I was running ingear (old gear drive design in middle of summer here in London ~36ºC were so not much issues :thinking: Bad meshing and etc things can cause issues but if everything is correctly configured it would run perfectly :slight_smile:

EDIT: Dont forget that gear teeth size is different compared RC and esk8 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well guys. What would you do?

In my opinion the worse part of belt drive that’s is debris getting into it is solved by having the belt enclosed

But I would try to exchange it for lower maintenance and lower energy consumption

4 Likes

Come on guys, I need opinions. If I finish the battery it will be too late. I am going to ride that sucker till the wheels fall off.

Gear drive is the future of esk8. That’s why Trampa made them finally… Drawback is not having ability to change gear ratios. You mentioned a lot of the pros- no belt slippage, enclosed systems, & lube is your friend.

Why not have both? I’ll continue to use best parts for belt drive.

1 Like

What do you mean?

Have two boards with two different drive trains?

I like push in wheel pulleys like FATBOY, evolve, metroboard. Wider is better for me in belts. 15mm minimum.

I would say belt drive train is a little easier than gear drive train to install. You have to align gear drive.

1 Like

If you have a 3 gear drive, like @moon is making, then you can change ratios

2 Likes

That 3 gear will have more issues than just gear ratio changing :wink:

1 Like

There are no drawbacks compared to belt drive imo. I started out with belt drive, but was changing belts every 200 km or so. Gear drive is more efficient, better free coasting, less maintenance. If you don’t get helical, it will have a higher whine noise.

If you don’t like the gear drive ratio, there are three other gear drives available with different ratios from 1:4 till 1:6. My personal favorite is 1:5 at 149 kv at 12s. Plenty of torque and top speed (around 45 km/h).

There is nothing worse than a slow board imo, awfully frustrating. I really enjoy blasting up hills on and off-road at high speeds. Might not do it in the beginning, but trust me. You’ll want to go faster at some point in time and it’s good if the board allows it, instead of being stuck at lower speeds due to gear drive ratio and potentially motor options.

3 Likes

Would you please care to mention some?

heat, the center gear is gonna cook pretty easily since it has friction from 2 sources and no mass behind it.

1 Like