The reason for the name and what got me into e-sk8 is a funny story. I had a regular trick skateboard with big wheels and risers that I used to commute on so I didn’t have to walk between public transport. At the end of a work party that was on a boat we where walking back down the pier and one of my co workers wanted to try my skateboard. I said sure, just don’t launch it of the side of the pier. 5 seconds after I gave him the board it shot of the side and KA-PLONK. Hence the name Under The Sea. He was kind enough to offer to replace it, he gave me $200 which I used towards building an e-sk8. I don’t think I would have got into it at the time as I didn’t have the budget for one, but I had been thinking about building one for a while.
I have been riding it now for about 6 months and now it’s time for some upgrades, hence the V2 build log. I have been ridding this around 15km 2-3 days a week as part of my commute. It replaces my need for bus or taxi’s.
It was a tight budget build with total spend around $700 usd. Mostly chinese parts, one to keep a low budget and secondly being in Hong Kong shipping is much faster than from the US or Europe. I got the trucks, motors, mounts, belts, pulley, wheels and bearings as a kit of ebay $220. Questionable quality but all that stuff is still working. I have replaced the belts pulleys and bearings though.
Now to the upgrades. I want better reliability as I was constantly shredding belts and wearing out motor pulleys. Running 12s with 270kv motors meant I had to use 4:1 (12-48) gear ratio that led to many downsides. The 12 tooth motor pulleys wear out really fast, once worn they slip under heavy breaking and shred belts. The 48 tooth wheel pulley is pretty close to ground so gets some rock damage over time. Luckily I designed and printed the wheel pulley myself so its an easy item for me to maintain. Also the power delivery was brutal and was difficult to tune out with the vesc settings. I eventually changed to 15-48 gearing and the 15 tooth pulleys are much more reliable and the smaller ratio has really smoothed out the power delivery.
So I wanted to change the motors to a lower KV so that I could have a better drive ratio. Which would lead to better reliability. I found these 5065 140kv motors that would allow me to run a 2:1 (20-40) ratio. After receiving them I was bummed out to realize they where 70mm long and didnt fit my trucks. I needed longer trucks but didnt find any until torque boards made the extra wide caliber II style trucks. Which are on the way and should have on hand in a week or so.
I will be making the motor mounts once they arrive, I will also be upgrading my battery mount design and esc lunchbox so its more water proof. Pics below of the current build state.