Upgrading an Evolve GT battery with 18650 Lithium Ion batteries

The biggest issue you will have is that for an Evolve board, you MUST use the BMS from the original battery pack or you will be stuck in ECO mode. Evolve does not sell the BMSs. If you break it, you’ll have a hard time replacing it, if you can at all. Definitely never discard a broken one.

So are you planning to reuse your original battery when you get back home? Or just use this new one? Or make yet another battery when you get home? That could get expensive.

Also 5800mAh is really high for an 18650 lithium ion cell, which is good. Also not sure I’d like the karma associated with using cells that say “UltraFire” on them

1 Like

Those are flashlight batteries. They will not work for an eboard, they put out less than 1A each, good 18650’s are rated at 20A.

The largest mah of any genuine 18650 cell right now is less than 4000mah so these ones are almost definitely fake.

Also, you’re going to need a minimum of 2 cells in parallel (minimum! 4 preferably), so factor that in to your cost. Each cell should put out at least 15A, so a minimum of Samsung 30q’s should be used. LG HG2’s would be better, Sony Konion US18650VTC6’s would be better than those…

2 Likes

yes the idea woud be to take the original battery apart to use the BMS and probably put it back together when I get back since I probably wont be able to fly with the new battery either.

Those are flashlight batteries. They will not work for an eboard, they put out less than 1A each, good 18650’s are rated at 20A.

how can you tell?

Seriously dude, Google or YouTube ultrafire

thanks for the tip. Is that the specs of the original battery cells? What would happen if I tried with cells that have maybe only 10A output? Would the board just be slower or would it risk burning the battery or something?

1 Like

I’m not sure what the standard Amp draw rating on the Bamboo GT’s stock battery is, but have a higher discharge rate, counteracts voltage sag, which means you can use your GT with full power for longer…

With 4 cells in parallel that can discharge 10A each, you just multiply it so that would be a max continuous discharge of 40A, which, may not be good when you’re at 40-50% battery and trying to climb an incline or pull away fast, plus it stresses the battery more and they’ll die quicker…

I found the hg2 lg cells but they’re pretty expensive. I also found samsung 18650 25R which are only 2500mah but are rated 20amps and 30% cheaper Now this is the cheapest option : samsung ICR18650-22P which are only 2200mah and rated only 10amps max but they are one third of the lg price. Even if the batteries die much faster, it might be worth trying the cheaper option.

Samsung 30q are probably your best option.

I thought the LG ones were better. they are 1000rupees each I think the samsung 30Q are above 1300

Well I was saying, if the LG are too expensive go with the 30q’s…

I just put this up in the other thread about evolve battery upgrades…

If anybody needs this done in the UK I can help with the battery pack upgrade… I’ve just completed two and I have the correct Evolve-specific 11 pin connector for the BMS.

Pm me for more info…

1 Like

Hi @Eboosted

Thanks for sharing.

I think that 10S4P and BMS will not fit in the EVOLVE genuine enclosure. Even if you look at your photos, the enclosure looks as if nothing has changed. Where did you change it?

Yes, the BMS won’t fit a 10s4p,you need to cut the enclosure and make a fiberglass extension, otherwise you will need to use a router on the deck in order to make space for the BMS.

Have any of you guys looked at the LG MJ1? I’m building a 14S10P split triangle ebike pack for a client with the them. https://www.imrbatteries.com/lg-mj1-18650-3500mah-10a-flat-top-battery/

1 Like

Hi guys, just finished a 10s4p myself, worked flawlessly. Assembled the cells like eboosted and lhb did.

However after wiring everything, the board doesn’t switch on. No blinking switch, attaching the charger doesn’t work too. Charger LED stays green.

Pack has 36V, also at B- at the BMS. P- at BMS showing 31V.

Don’t know how to troubleshoot further, what connections to check etc. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Can you draw a diagram showing connections? I have completed a similar mod to yourself with no problems Cheers

CWired the BMS cables according to this diagram from another build I found. Second pic shows the main cables.

Image deleted

image deleted