Urethane Heat Sinks

How does it handle temps(thermal conductivity value(k))? Or rather, what is the melting point? Do you have any FEM simulations or tests to support your claims? I demand technical data! :face_with_monocle:

this is a damn great idea! i would definetely be interested in a sleeve for the Carvon torquedrive!

This sounds greatā€¦ if you have any desire to make it I would love to be a product tester :smiley:

1 Like

Melt point is around 400F - 204C. If you have equipment to measure TCV I can send you some samples so put a sock in your demands mister :slight_smile:

4 Likes

so thatā€™s a no for raptor hubs? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Whatā€™s TCV? Pu is normally a thermal insulator but your saying you have come up with a version with conductivity almost on par with aluminum and half the weight. Iā€™ve looked and found papers where doped with carbon Pu has shown better strength, which is surprising, but how do u get almost as thermally conductive as alum? How do u know?

Iā€™ll try it! Or test it. Whatā€™s the tensile strength after doping?

Good morning, here was my test setup.
1.5" thick samples placed on a hotplate and the temp differential between the surface closest to the heat source compared to the surface furthest away from the heat source after 30 seconds and one minute then averaged. As an example, if the heat source side was 200 and the side furthest away was 100, I call that 100/200 = .50 expressed as a percentage is 50%

Data:

Aluminum block: 69%

Untreated Urethane: 29%

5% load Urethane: 39%

10% load Urethane: 57%

10% load / Aluminum is 57/69 = .83 expressed as a %, the 10% loaded material is 83% as efficient in transferring contact heat as Aluminum at 1/2 the mass.

3 Likes

Going by your results unfilled pu is 42% as efficient at transferring heat as aluminum. That canā€™t be right. That would make the Pu more thermally conductive than most metals. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amp/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html

Alum is super conductive and regular Pu is a super insulator. Finding even a highly filled resin for thermal transfer, like stycast epoxy or thereā€™s some conductive silicones but data sheets show they are maybe 1/30th as conductive as alum and they costs a fortune.

2 Likes

I wonder how urethane cures in my oven if it is a super insulator. The only polyurethane I see listed there is : Polyurethane foam 0.03

1 Like

Weird hard to find solid Pu numbers.

Do you have a picture of your setup Brad? I think Hummie is right as there is something going on with the experimental setup

By what you said the main culprit would be radiation and convection heating up the top of the samples, so you arenā€™t measuring the conductivity alone, but the sum of the three mechanisms of heat transfer

The got the same result that I did with the control so perhaps my numbers are good:

Sorry, no pictures. A hot plate if fairly easy to imagine though.

1 Like

image image

I think same unit of measure.

As with anything, proof is in real world applications so if you have one in mind put it out there. If my numbers are right or close, the additive may counteract other desirable characteristics of the base material rendering it useless for the application so all we can do is give it a go.

4 Likes

Haha. I feel on the forum weā€™re in the age of search and not do. U make it happen and I want it. But Iā€™ll take any resin or solid stuff u will send. For anything. Iā€™m curious about how ur Pu performs. I think with the powered boards all putting leverage on the pivot cup n bushings they get eaten up. And I canā€™t stop mine from squeaking! Tried soap chips liquid soap. Oil. All kinds of oil.

I got some thermally conductive silicone to make phase wires and was bummed how weak it was and wasnā€™t doable safely. But with the adding of carbon fill itā€™s encouraging that instead of weakening it strengthens. Seems anything will be possible.

2 Likes

One way to make it way more effective is to use ferrofluid in the airgap of the motors

The same Justin from ebikes.ca do using their Statorade and Hubsinks, ferrofluid in the airgap and heatsinks on the outside of the motors

1 Like

Have you tried our internally lubricated WFB 96a pivots?

2 Likes

@Hummie if you have a wheel mold you could send me I could pour you some

2 Likes

Iā€™ve tried nothing and only swapped out standard Paris stuff for some of a bunch of unknown harder yellow ones I got from skates on haight for free. You know the lady who works there? But one day with all my thinking about it Iā€™ll have to do some blind testing. Maybe three turns of the wrench for all and the variables are gone

But how can I get rid of these squeaks now?