Urethane Heat Sinks

Elasticity and elongation run counter to durometer

2 Likes

i get it now lol

1 Like

can you make a version with no fins for a stealthy look?

it would not cool as well but it might look better

It would likely be quieter and simpler to make also

2 Likes

I don’t know what you’ve decided on, but I think a mold that fits the 63mm diameter of the most used motor cans, but having it slightly longer than the length of a 6374 would allow you to cut the excess length from the sleeve to match every variation of 63mm motor without needing to discard too much material.

3 Likes

No decisions have been made yet which is why I made this thread to maximize the initial application.

1 Like

I can give you dimensions tomorrow @alphamail and a cad for the DD can if you want. I’ll email you.

4 Likes

I think I see why a closed end may be useful

10 Likes

yasssssss i wont have to worry about my dd getting beat up when i get it :joy:

5 Likes

Are you considering stretching based on the rotation of motors spinning at high speeds?

it would be so light would it really matter?

1 Like

Yes, that will be part of the tests and I am thinking 80a and above will be suitable but we need to test what works best

1 Like

Perfect, a .step file will be best

It does not have to matter much for the product to fail

2 Likes

For a motor sleeve, given the thermal transfer properties of the urethane would be comparatively less efficient than the motor can metal itself, this would suggest that the sleeve should be only thick enough to provide physical protection (from stones and other debris).

By this reasoning it would suggest that the motor sleeve should be as thin as possible.

4 Likes

Agreed. I’d even like to see a design with a small grid pattern of holes punched out that are small enough to protect from rocks but still let airflow go by the surface of the can.

I would agree if unfinned but since the finned surface area could easily be 2x to 4x of the motor can multiplied by .7 efficiency makes the heat drain 1.4 to 2.8 to times better than the unsleeved motor unless thermodynamics do not work the way I am thinking.

3 Likes

A consideration if your looking at finned vs unfinned in surface area is that fins running the length not circumference of the motor can will create turbulence and likely some low pressure area’s which presumably would have some reduction in thermal conductivity at that point.

Not sure if something like an airfoil design on the lengthways fins might help

I think I can figure a way to do it either way, perhaps even helical

4 Likes

@b264

I want a synchronous timing belt that takes heat from the motor pulley and puts in on the wheel pulley, to prevent snow from accumulating there and breaking the belt

I want to see a ‘Submarine’. A gel type radiator system capable of disipating heat away from batteries, either by running below or engulfing the battery like a sleeve and carrying the heat out.

1 Like