Used my e-board to escape while being assaulted, TSG Pass saved my head from a few punches too, I owe my safety to a few people on here

I carry my Shield 9mm when I’m on my board sometimes, but I worry a bit about eating shit and landing on it since I carry at 4-5 o’clock. Maybe I should design a skate friendly hoster with a skid shield. For now I just secure it in my backpack when I’m on the board mostly.

I wiped-out once and it flew out when I fell LoLz

3 Likes

Wow, You guys have bigger problems than me. I just worry about running over slugs or hedgehogs. Bugasalt is about as gnarly as my weapons go.

7 Likes

3 Likes

I have a knife hobby (spyderco ftw) and have a knife or 2 or 3 on me usually, but I’d rather take a beating than pull one out to fight. Hospital vs morgue or jail+lawyer. Will keep it in pocket unless life and death.

Pepper spray can backfire: but still mostly nonlethal.

@b264 camera and gun badass! I’ll try to be nicer lol.

1 Like

I’ve been skating through Venice/Santa Monica DAILY for 3 years now and this is literally the first issue. he honestly seemed like an otherwise very normal dude, not the typical druggie at all. he was very put together and looked good, he was just insane! I ride by that Golds Gym every day! I take Palms blvd to Abbot Kinney, then to Brooks, Hampton, Rose, then the bike path or Barnard Way up into Santa Monica, all very awesome roads for boarding! I look forward to seeing you around!!

No reason! I was literally just standing watching a video of a guy dancing that I had just filmed on my phone! Was standing around for about 15 minutes before he crossed my path.

1 Like

I’ll be seeing you around then. I’m still putting together my first build, waiting for a battery pack and enclosure to come in the mail. Probably late June. At first, I was confused that you were able to pick up your board and get a head start while being punched, but then I saw how little your setup is! That thing is cool!

1 Like

Sorry to hear this story. Becoming the target of senseless and unexpected violence while doing something you love can steal some of the joy. I hope you’re able to fight against that and continue to enjoy your rides at the beach.

For the record, I think you handled it as well as possible. Even for someone trained, disabling an unknown attacker requires a lot of risk, you made the smart choice by extracting yourself from the situation.

I know a lot of guys advocate carrying a knife or gun, but I know the area you ride (I live in Redondo) and I think carrying either would be asking for more trouble then it’s worth. If you want to carry something, I’d recommend pepper-spray, you’ll be much more comfortable deploying something nonlethal and it will be a sufficient deterrent for 99% of people, as plus it works on most dogs too.

2 Likes

I also usually carry my Sig P938 when I ride it’s small and comfy in the pocket, never had to use it on an esk8 but I’d rather have it on my when I do those late night city rides.

4 Likes

Cant wait to see your build! my board is tiny, less than 15lbs total! Shoot me a message when you’re ready to ride and we can make a day out of it with some other local builders!

was this person homeless or mental or both?

not homeless! He looked 100% normal and healthy. Just on some weird stuff that made him irrationally angry!

Am I the only one here thinking that carrying a gun seems a little bit too much ?

Pepper spray is just fine imo…

Or Canada heh ? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Venice Beach is a mecca for skateboarding, Dogtown Z-boys etc. Maybe he’s one of those old school purist dudes that see ESK8 as an abomination and decided to take that anger on you. Be careful lots of skaters hold that resentment against longboarders. I would get insults thrown at me when i ride by the skate park by my house.

When someone is shouting that they are going to kill you then having any advantage is a good thing life and death is not a game you dont half ass survival you give it all you have.

1 Like

There are some dogs that don’t care about pepper spray? WTF. If true that is scary.

pitbulls according to my cop buddies

Glad you weren’t injured. Although, as some have mentioned I ride with my knife now. I can handle my own, so I am not worried about one on one human interaction. I am worried about dogs.

It is damn dogs that I have had issues with for the past month. On 3 separate occasions in 3 different neighborhoods somebodies damn dog gets out of their house/garage, etc. and comes running after me. Almost got bit once when I was slowing down at a 4 way stop and this damn demon dog came out of nowhere. I turn around as I am going across the intersection and literally see Cujo about a foot away from my leg with his mouth turned and open. I was going probably 10mph at the time, and jumped off the board yelled. Thank goodness the dog stopped immediately once I yelled What the Fck!" Then I screamed who’s fcking dog is this as, no joke, another dog runs out from the same yard towards me. The owner comes running out screaming their names and it was like none of this shit happened. They both turned and headed towards the house.

As this was in suburbia, it drew a little audience at the 4 way stop. The lady which seem rather embarrassed, apologized and I wasn’t really hearing that as she almost lost a dog. Both dogs were a german shepard mix… That was the first of the dog incidents, but ever since then I have been carrying my knife with me.

3 Likes

Dude id ship my pants if gsd’s came running :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes