Using an action cam as a safety net

Woah I always forget there are a million go pro accessories lol. I was even thinking of mounting a go pro light to my helmet lol

I just ordered this…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G970GX4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2XENS8LQP1A6D&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KWPJ04/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2XENS8LQP1A6D&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J43I56/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2XENS8LQP1A6D&psc=1

I think that should do well for my GoPro and the bolt mounted ball will be low profile when I’m not using it.

i put a gopro mount on my skate helmet with the plan to record whenever i’m out riding but it is a bit of a hassle. also helmet mounted footage is normally garbage since it’s so shaky.

surprising, mine gets me a little over an hr of recording at 1080p-60fps. may need a new battery…?

i put a dashcam on my motorcycle, maybe something similar for esk8? something that’s permanently installed and powered by the esk8?

Good one Mike, yeah iirc think they go down to M6. If you could get a M5 instead (or make one) then a extra long skate bolt may be a doer

1 Like

I’ve got my GoPro chin mounted on my helmet. Also not the best looking location however I think it gives you a really good video location to represent where your head is looking near eye level. Plus you have your mouth near the mic.

Another option is to buy a smaller camera that you could incorporate inside the helmet with just the lens sticking out.

1 Like

I’m thinking about mounting it horizontally through the riser as opposed to on top of the deck, but it may not be beefy enough. I may just epoxy a sexnut into the deck so I screw it in and out.

We’ll see when it gets delivered.

1 Like

I love everything about it except the battery life.

I’ve heard you can also power that cam through an external power bank and record at the same time too.

An hour is bad. That’s like one long ride…

But I don’t think mine runs for that long, it doesn’t seem like it anyway.

I easily ride over an hour each day between all the places I go

I use the Session 4 which lasts about 2 hours at 30FPS. It does get pretty warm when I use it normally, but as a helmet cam it’s not bad because of the constant wind from riding.

Just double checked with the session 4. It does NOT charge and record at the same time

2 Likes

Probably has to do with overheating

Cool idea, like a dash cam for an eskate. An option could be to use an OEM reverse camera from a car. They’re small and have a wide angle and run on 5-12v. It could be mounted to the nose of a board or on a helmet with a small built in battery pack.

Add a small fpv dvr and it’ll record to micro sd.

1 Like

I have an idea for later on stages, of making dual HDMI recorder based on Snapdragon to do like dashcam on board with daily uploads to youtube via wifi :smiley:

1 Like

Session 4 rider here on every ride. Lasts me about an hour I think with 1080s 48fps wide.

I mount it on my helmet with the head strap that goes over my helmet. Don’t care how it looks. Can’t see myself anyways.

1 Like

Has anyone done a dual helmet mount? In case someone forgets to brake and hits you from behind? I’ve been looking into helmet and body harness mounts. Haven’t made up my mind yet.

Honestly, the #1 problem to be solved is just being robbed and having your memory card stolen by police or criminals before you can recover the video. Once that is solved, we should move on to other problems :wink:

Is helmet mount safe?

Huh?

10char

Like, if you fall off will you break your neck? I always worry about drag and weird impacts.

Chin mount or forehead mount. Or on your non front facing helmet side.

1 Like