Using an action cam as a safety net

Hero 4 session mount will break before your neck breaks. Also I use the head strap and have fallen before and the strap flung off the helmet.

1 Like

I think you’d have to do a lot of riding to be justifying an action cam for video insurance.

How many miles are you guys putting on your boards?

The main feature of a real dash cam is that it automatically records when it receives power, and it also automatically will write over old footage, so its quite hands off. Many have lots of other features on top that make them well suited for the job.

I would look into a 360* dash cam that you can integrate into your build. The deck itself is really not such a good place for a camera for getting a good view, but with 360 degrees you should be able to get what you need. It just won’t be very cinematic footage.

Integrating it into your build allows it to record automatically when your board is powered on, gets rid of battery issues because you can just power it from your board, and is just a lot easier and convenient than mounting up a camera every time you ride.

Well if you are worried about that than maybe you shouldn’t ride an electric skateboard as they might steal that as well. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

i just ordered a hero 6. are any of you mounting on a tsg pass?

Session 5 does last I checked, but the older ones no. Hero 4 and 3 models SHOULD be able to run from an external power source. Hero 5 models…hell on earth apparently. Would have to remove the internal battery and only run off of the external. And even then, it’s a little sketchy cause it can get quite warm. Hero 6 models…I haven’t looked into it yet.

Some people do lots and lots of riding a day on their boards. Some here use them as their primary mode of transportation, so a camera is very much justified, especially in vehicle traffic areas where there is a higher risk.

Problem with most camera products though…is that they can’t handle vibrations very well and most people do not want to watch shaky footage.

And last I checked…it is possible for gopros to loop footage, but I think the settings are finnicky and buried in the settings.

I use a runcam pro v2 for quadcopters it does live SD streaming and HD recording, pretty good for like $90. Another cheapo option from quad community is the Mobius camera (far worse to work with but pretty durable and small) honestly not sure how they are power consumption wise but could do some testing.

https://www.runcam.com

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com

Runcam needs external power no battery included. Mobius claims 2 hr runtime.

Big enough SD Card though and record in standard def and not a crazy frame rate and can record a huge amount of time.

I might have missed it, but I didn’t see anybody talking about the looping feature of the GoPro (which is an old feature, coming from the Hero3).

It acts a bit like a dashcam, where it keeps only the x last minutes of filming. Might be pretty handy! It avoids filling up your memory card. However, if you crash or anything, you have to remember to stop recording to keep the crash part of the video and avoid getting it recorded over.

I use a shoulder or chest mount. I bought a cellphone/go pro adapter for it so I just put my phone on it. My phone has good stability and it’s in a sturdy full protection case. Actually it survived that car accident when it landed on the car.

The biggest problem with gopro looping is that it will only loop over the old footage of whatever your are currently recording at the time. It will not overwrite the oldest footage stored on the card. So you still have to go in and delete unnecessary footage at the end of the day.

Too bad this only works with a select few older gopros. Seems kind of nifty. https://cam-do.com/products/dash-gopro-dashcam-controller

For vibration, well if you’re using a 360 deg lens there really wouldn’t be that much. But it’d still be pretty useless footage for anything but documenting what’s going on around you. It wouldn’t be pretty enough to go back and watch.

There are “Dash cams” designed around motocycles, with all of the features for that, but for helmet mounting.

Honestly it would be a waste to use a go-pro just for this application unless you wanted to have a go-pro anyway. Its not exactly the best fit for this application, it has a lot of features a dash cam doesn’t need, missing few key features any dash cam will have, and its a really expensive brand.

Drift Stealth 2, descreet, largely waterproof & has a dashcam mode to autoloop record when powered over usb, sold very well and probably cheap enough now

Most people already have a gopro and do not want to have to go out and buy something new if they can already, in some form, use something they already have for that same purpose. That’s what I’m trying to get at here. Most people here are not going to use a gopro JUST as a dash cam…they are going to use it for other things too. It’s a matter of keeping things simple and not having a million devices if having a few can serve the same purpose. However, if someone wanted a dedicated dash cam system and didn’t have any intention of using it as anything else but a dash cam, then I’d definitely say shell out for a dash cam system because a gopro system would be a waste of money.

Oh wow I forgot about those guys. Them and Sena. Thanks.

1 Like

this is a cool idea, put after looking at a few other helmet rear view cam video, I think this is just adding something to impale out eye when we street our faces.

1 Like

Honestly I want a nuviz hud… for esk8…

SX425

nuviz-11 x240-XND

5 Likes

I would like it in the rear…:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Lol add a rear camera but still… hud would be awesome instead ofooking down at my remote lol or watch for directions