I had some issues at first. I was expecting waaay to much from this vesc. Here are some settings that got me going with few cutouts. They will probably go away once I gear it down a tad more. I also probably have too big of motors. At least they stay really cool.
Motor max: 35(30 if you want even less cutout)
Motor max brake: -35
Abs max: 130(this can prob go to 140)
Batt current Max: 50(35-40 if you have li ion pack or want to be more safe)
Batt max regen : -10(maybe -15 if you need more braking power and your battery can handle it)
I had issues with setting up ppm and can/bus connection as well. It would only work if I set up the side with the receiver wire coming out of it as the master. First plug in the opposite side and do the input wizard to setup as slave. Then go to other side and set as master. You should then be able to setup your controller.
I also found it very helpful to set some negative expo in the controller under throttle curve. This kept it from nailing the throttle and cutting out. You also need to go under the wattage tab and change the max wattage to match your motor. This lets the controller know that 100% throttle is the max watts and also helps with throttle sensitivity. I had an issue where quarter throttle was full throttle.
Good luck to ya!