Vesc Settings for maximum potential (8S, 260kV)

Just followed your instructions… all look cool!?

Yep. Looks good. That’s just a starting point though. You should definitely read up on things and try to get a better understanding of all the settings and fine tune them for what you need.

You also need to look up how to set up your failsafe in your remote/receiver and ESC if you have not.

1 Like

Thanks man, I didnt even know there was a ‘failsafe’. Ive built a bunch of multicopers and they had failsafe for return to home etc. Not sure what a failsafe on a skateboard could be for.

Losing signal while on full throttle. Try braking then. :wink:

1 Like

Ahhh. Im on 2.4 rather that a bluetooth connection so probs less likly to drop out but I guess its possible. As long as it doesnt throw on the brakes randomly!? Thatd be worse than no brakes.

It depends on the remote. Some may apply full brakes when you lose signal, that’s why you need to set up your failsafe. Make it do what you want.

1 Like

Im pretty sure some dont have a fail safe option if its anything like the rc quadcopter world. I remember havin to get a more expensive receiver that had a fail safe mode. Im using a GT2B in a 3d printed case.

The GT2B has a failsafe…

3 Likes

Hey,

I did all the fixes and its definitly more eager to go but its still ‘sagging’ on the hill and even on a very slight slope right after the hill… kinda like it hasnt recovered yet. Here is the data: https://metr.at/r/W5XFi

I think this is an overheating issue based on what ive read on here?? Im running MBS 100mm wheels on 15/36T. You think this is causing it!?

I think I need 40T Pulley. But, where the hell do I get one without a $40 shipping from US to UK!?

I don’t think that could be causing it to overheat, I am running 14:27 on 97mm wheels and my stuff doesn’t overheat or sag. Although I do run dual 6355 but that isn’t much different in terms of torque

1 Like

Thanks, are you running up hills ok?

it’s definitely possible. my vesc started thermal throttling within 5 minutes of riding on single 10s/190kv. 16/36 gearing and 97mm wheels

doesn’t do it anymore since I changed to dual and made a massive heatsink :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: my vescs don’t get above 40c anymore.

1 Like

I just changed back to my 90mm wheels to see if it made a difference… YES, indeed it did. It lost a bit of power near the top of the hill but it was way way way better than the 100mm MBS. I wonder will a 40T pully have the same effect an allow me to run the 100mm?

The Metr stats are interesting too. I accidentally left the app running for about 20min after i shut down the board. Dunno if that made a difference. It shouldnt have. What you think? Lower temp ave etc

Hey, I want to make a torque monster while fixing previous issues…

So Ive done a few changes:

Ive now got 83mm Wheels (had 100 and 90s before) Ive now got a Focbox (had a Maytech Vesc) Ive now gone from 15/32 to 15/42T Im still running 10s4p with a single 6374 200Kv

Initial very brief testing is very impressive. Wheel spin says it all really!

I just want to double check on some of my numbers if someone could have a look? @PXSS ?

1 Like

For what its worth, some big changes now that I’ve changed all these elements listed above.

This is 15/42 with Focbox and 83mm Wheels… Obvious differnce is Max temp, down from 78 deg to a very safe 62 deg with no ‘sag’ what so ever. Result. I suppose I should try the 100mm on this new 42T pulley/focbox setup to just to see if it makes much difference to the Vesc temp. I miss the smoothness of them.

Also, the 83mm single drive is wheel spinning, even goin up hill.

1 Like

Ah sweet! So happy that the 100mm MBS wheels have not hampered the performance too much. This is the same run as the previous ones. Max temp only went up 1 deg C. This run includes a 200mtr very steep incline near the end of the 4km (possibly 25-30%). No issue at all.

The 83mm wheels had crazy torque but the 100s are totally acceptable with the ability to roll over anything being the biggest selling point. In the dark I went over a inch thick plank at 15mph with no issue, thankfully.

SO, I dunno whats done the most good… Focbox rather than Maytech Vesc OR the 42mm Pulley instead of the 32.

1 Like

Try out the 32mm pulley with fb. This is really good data

1 Like

Im pretty sure that’ll be very similar but with less torque. The Focbox really keeps the temp down vs the Vesc.

So I’ve been riding with the 90mm wheels, Focbox, 15T 42 10s4p 30Qs 200kv 6374.

Can I push the battery max from 60 to 80?

I’m getting awesome torque now but topping out around 20mph. I’m wondering if I up the max battery amp will I:

1. Fry my battery
  2. Live a beautiful life filled with torque and top end.