Vesc Settings for maximum potential (8S, 260kV)

There are two places to specify an eRPM limit; one in the motor tab and one in app config, are you talking about both of them?

Yes. Motor 60000 PPM start 58000 PPM end 60000 this way you are on the safe side. Only on a extremely steep hill where you could reach like 60 km/h without a motor you would get problems.

1 Like

Hm good to know, I’ll play around with it when I get home as well. Honestly, I’m not ever comfortable going my top speed downhill anyway. Sounds suicidal.

2 Likes

Looking forward to the results man!

1 Like

And you can also switch off the breaking in the general motor tab. Because it can be very disturbing at lower speeds. For example when you set the board for a maximum of 20 km/h to give it to the kids. This way the board stops powering instead of braking which can bring them out of balance.

1 Like

Hi Guys really liking this thread. So the consensus is for safe ERPM

• Motor tab 60k max. With negative torque turned off. But what does min ERPM do? Should we also set to -60k ? Or is this only relevant when reverse is used?

• App / PPM Tab. Soft limit start 58k / Soft limit end 60k.

If you exceed the ERPM going down a hill what will happen, will it damage the VESC? If you are on throttle or coasting does it make a difference?

Thanks.

If you exceed your max eRPM the Vesc will shutdown, but if I recall correctly it won’t be damaged. I don’t know what min ERPM does but my guess is that it’s the minimal RPM the motor goes for when you press the throttle.

Min ERPM is for max speed in reverse. So the same like max ERPM but only backwards.

1 Like

In the respect of max and min erpm being both limited to 60k, how come the gen 1 Raptor has them both set to 100k? Thx

Because 190kv motors at 10S with 14 magnets don’t reach that speed.

So even at a full charge the max erpm at no load (free spinning wheels) are 190kv * 10S * 4.2V * (14 magnets / 2) = 55860 ERPM.

When you stay on the board (with load) they might reach 50000 ERPM max.

1 Like

I have a 260kv motor with two 5000Mah 4c (14.7v) batteries in series, would anyone know if these settings would apply? Or am I just severely underpowering my VESC?

Hey,

I have serious voltage sag when going up medium hill and pretty much just stops on steeper inclines. Im running 10s4p 30Qs with Vesc and 6374 200KV motor.

I think it might be because Ive got conservative settings in my Vesc but I could be wrong. Here is a bit of a screen grab from the Metr app. Any ideas whats going on!?

What should my settings be to get max performance (without blowing up Vesc)?

Your battery current max is low for a 30Q 10S4P. You can upp that to 60A if you want to.

Batt current max regen is too low. That should not be below -16A. I’d say a min of -20A

1 Like

Awesome, just the kind of answer I was hoping for!!!

Motor current can also be upped, to 80A maybe. Some people do up to 120A but I say 80 is more than plenty.

Battery voltage cutoff is too high for a 10S in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with where you have it but decreasing it to 31/28 will give you 15ish% more range.

1 Like

Yes!! I knew I was under selling this setup!

15kW is wayyyy too high for your max wattage. Like extremely dangerous high! 2500W should be more than plenty. Same thing with your braking wattage, way too high. You could burn a motor like that. -1000W is plenty there.

Your max erpm reverse is also wrong. Set it to the negative of the maximum erpm

1 Like

I think the motor is rated at 3000W. I didnt even really look at those settings! I just followed a really simple Vesc setup tutorial that skipped all of that. Thanks man! Anything else before I loose your knowledge!?

Thats basically it as far as what I see wrong. You may want to start there and fine tune based on your needs. Make sure you reread all of my comments as I tend to edit a lot so you may have missed something if I edited after you read it.

1 Like