VESC Setup dual

I know many do 80 without problems. The reason i quoted Greco is because I know he have gone thru a «couple» og vescs :wink:

lol. I know the exact reason why every single one of my vescs blew, and that was not it :wink:

i can even list them if you want :rofl:

I guess alot of drv’s

1 Like

was the motor pulling 50-60a it was that the BATTERY current? it’s totally normal for the motor current to be higher than the battery current. unless i’m mistaken, the large caps on the vesc are to smooth out voltage ripples, but you could totally be right.

lots of shorted things

i’ve blown fets, melted traces, etc

1 Like

Motor was pulling 60 Amps with motor max set to 80 Amps. Battery was pulling 30 Amps, with battery max set to 40 Amps

yea. that’s normal. the motor will always pull more than will be drawn from the battery. hence the reason it’s safe to run 120a motor max and 25a batt max (like I do). the motor can be pulling 120a, but the amperage that’s actually pulled from the battery will never go above 25a

1 Like

I’m right?

Can I use the FOC mode for VESC 4? are there any restrictions and security settings?

It’s probably better to put the loop key on the negative line but electrically it makes no difference. BMSs switch the negative lines and positives get tied together

It can just be less confusing is all. Electrically it makes no difference

1 Like

Thank you. I was mistaken when I was drawing, I meant what you did))

1 Like

Please keep in mind that to configure the settings on the second vesc you will need to plug in the usb cable into the second vesc and program that by itself too.

They do not transfer settings between each other

4 Likes

Hey guys I was wondering, so I’m going to run a dual motor setup… does that mean I set my battery max to 40a and each motor max to 20a? Also for regen max battery -30a and each motor regen max -15a? Is this correct pls help. Also how to I connect the two via canbus using slave and id0 and id1. Helppppppp!

Also… as long as the motor max is higher than battery… it doesn’t really matter. Like the battery will only give the motor 30a even if it’s set at like 40 or 50. Right?

the battery max depends on your battery. if you run dual than div. that to 2 and you have your bat max current. The same with bat min current (but this you can set a bit higher as you usually just break for a short time and will not charge const. with 20A for example). The motor max you can theoretical set to any value. But usually it´s around 60-80A per motor. The motor min just set to 40A per vesc and than look how you like your breaks. if too less set it up, if too strong set it down.

your vesc will not draw more amps from the battery than your max battery setting. But the vesc can put out more amps than you set your battery amps. if your motor needs more amps, the vesc will just regulate that by put down the voltage which on your motor. P=U*I more I less U as the Battery Power always stay the same. Hope that made it more clear, not more complicated :sweat_smile:

Dual set up: Yes can bus than one as master “0” one as slave “1” and activate, sent data via can bus or something like this. You could also connect your vescs with a Y-split cable of the remote, than you don´t have to set any master or slave.

If you run a dual, you need to cut the values for the battery in half since each ESC pulls/pushes Amps and having two ESCs your battery sees twice the values you enter. You need to understand the relation between the different values, which you can read in the post below.