Vote your favorite Carbon Fiber Deck with Integrated Enclosure

What are them latches called would love to try them my self.

mini Quik-Latch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BRgpnZPJEg

5 Likes

Just in case,someone wants to see the test that I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okmKBpc7z68&feature=youtu.be

16 Likes

Do you recon it would hold facing down on the underside of the deck as was thinking might do me for my enclosure once I get my new deck.

I am sure it will work but the enclosure should be rigid and I still think that it needs more than two to be secured.

How are u going to get from the 3D print to a board? Making a mold for expanding foam is all I can think of

How thin is the thinnest section at the bottom of the enclosure going to be before carbon?

He can use lost PLA casting, or he can even use the PLA print itself as a mold once its sanded, bondo, primer.

@chinzw I wouldn’t use PLA print as a mold,in the de-molding process, It could be damaged. It needs 3 molds, for the top,bottom and lid.

The enclosure will be 22mm deep(thinnest I can go)

The edges/frame will be 5 mm thick all around the board(1 inch wide)with carbon fiber sheets and the rest 'll be glass fiber this means the edge is solid instead of hollow.

I don’t get u. @MasterCho. You want to use ur 3D print repeatedly? I can’t imagine. I imagine u could make a hard silicone or maybe fiberglass mold using the 3D print as the plug/pattern. It would need some support inside maybe need to combine silicone with beams or integrate a mother mold somehow. maybe 3 parts. So then ud have a mold u could fill with expanding foam and make the board core and then do an infusion like you were doing before?

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say was" I wouldn’t use the 3d printed parts as mold". It will be damaged when you de-mold it.

Yes I’ll use fiberglass mold with Tooling Gel Coat inside as always.
You are right on that :thumbsup:. @Hummie.

Don’t want to steal your thread but do you have any advice on how to make this better?

3 Likes

Do you mean the enclosure on the bottom?

Mainly the shape of the deck. I used the edit form function but I want to know which function you used. Thanks

Reminds me of this China CF deck I bought awhile back…has handle in kicktail…

2 Likes

I didn’t realize it’s 3d until now Lol.

Yeah, I would use the edit form to pull the verts and faces.

Have fun!

1 Like

Ok thanks. I guess I just need to improve my edit form skills lol.

1 Like

Yes, I have seen it. Honestly, the design isn’t bad at all, it’s slim and light,but the handle design seems too big for my taste,I just want to pick it up instead of the ride.

How was the inside? were you able to replace electronics?

1 Like

design is not bad, but deck cover is thin reverse camber fiberglass composite of some kind so not a good feel if you are a skateboarder. Handle great, but even at 6’ I have to bend elbow slightly to not drag it on the ground while walking. Like the look a lot, but would have t find a way to replace the deck cover to ride it more often

Regarding replacing the electronics, am waiting for @LEVer v2.5 hubs to ship to me (hint hint) to swap out the OEM hubs. Then see the difference, and move on to trying to cram vesc or TB 120A Opto Esc into enclosure. The battery seems OK lol

Did I mention that a benefit to @LEVer shipping my v2.5 is they get benchmarked on swapout hint hint lol

Did I cite @LEVer enough?

What are u going to do w the 3D print?

@MasterCho a three part fiberglass mold for an infusion? I guess u haven’t gotten there yet but have it planned. If I were going to do a three part mold it would be the large mold you have with just two inserts that were removable after cured. I’m guessing that’s it. still the stretchlon covering everything like normal. The inserts making it easier to form sharp curves for the enclosure. Maybe my strechlon isn’t stretchy enough.

I still haven’t come across a really concave drop deck

The 3d print will be the shape that I make molds from.

Yes, that’s a good idea to do infusion with all three parts at once.:sunglasses:.:kissing_closed_eyes:

I can’t wait to put my hands on infusion process but before I do,I 'll have to spend a good amount of time making molds first.

Not sure what inserts are you referring to?

I only am able to work on weekends so the process will be really slow.