Waterproof Build

Hey guys,

I currently live in Berlin and since it rains quite often I was hoping to make my longboard somewhat water resistant, at the least.

For the enclosure I intend to use some kind of Tupperware, so that should be waterproof by itself.

How can I make the holes for the cables waterproof?

And more importantly, how can I make sure my motor doesn’t go swimming in mud?

Thanks!

Get your hands on a sealed motor and you are good to go.

As for the holes, wrap them with silicone and it should be resist water.

You can use some caulk to cover up the holes and a 3d printed cover for the motor to make it protected from the elements (while retaining heat).

Alright for the caulk but I don’t have a 3d printer :smiley:

Well than you can get a sealed (or partially sealed) motor like I sell ^shameless plug^

https://buildkitboards.com/products/6374-190kv-motor

1 Like

Ohh I purchased this motor and i am just realising it’s also the brand youre selling, no?

So if its already partially sealed, how much water can it take?

No they are different styles. My motors do not have a large open back like the one you have linked

Haha i wish i had posted this earlier, but i guess now i am stuck with mine. What can I do to improve the sealing without a 3d printer?

I’ve read here that most of 3D printed motor covers come off sooner or later from vibrations… :confused:

The the main problem with water in the motor are the bearings, the windings are already coated, so the first step is to swap the bearings with rubber sealed ones (2RS), if you can find some type of rust protection and spray in on the inside, mainly in the lamination is also good, because it can get rust with time

I’ve ridden my board in the rain several times, and also partially submerged streets, more than half a wheel at least, and no problems

One think that i discovered is that belts don’t like water, if i ride in the rain i know they will break in no time

1 Like

The best thing to protect the motors is to put them in a splash proof housing. This will ruin your motor cooling which can burn up your motors depening on how hard you push them. You could try to find a way to keep out the water but still let in some air for cooling.

One way to avoid motors melting is using sensored motors that have a temp sensor, and use a esc that will softly cut off if the motors get too hot (the vesc can do this). The problem with sensored motors is that the hall sensor pcbs are probably not waterproof so at that point you absolutely have to keep the water out.

Using chunky aluminum motor mounts and applying thermal paste between the motor and the mount will really help with the cooling!

You will likely need fenders to keep dirty water from spraying onto you from the wheels

You will likely need wheels that have grip in wet conditions (pneumatics are probably much better than any urethane wheel)

Get a chain drive, not a belt drive, be prepared to oil your chain every other week when its raining

Good luck i will follow your build as I will also attempt to make a waterproof board when I get back to the Netherlands

1 Like

I am not shooting for waterproof, but nonetheless I have one of these… http://www.galls.com/pelican-1060-micro-case?PMSRCE=GAPLA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhaX22YyC1QIVxR2BCh3diwuUEAQYCyABEgKvFvD_BwE

It seals pretty tight. For the holes you can buy an assortment of grommets to match your drill-bit size although I discovered that the rubber lining closes up around the wires coming through it and, short of submersion, I doubt very highly any water would find its way inside.

A good practice is to spray everything with CorrosionX, including all electronics

2 Likes

This build thread has some great info and is worth checking out: Build Log: Waterproof longboard 10s LiFe with Vesc

I’m scared, this is wicked! I want to see a video where someone ride his eboard under water :joy: Waterproof for real!

I live in Vancouver aka raincouver, and i ride my board in the rain. All i did is IP67 switches and watertight enclosure. When the motor gets wet i just blow dry it with compressed air

I think big brass balls (of whoever tries this) are conductive might mess with the experiment ;). I have used corrosionx on everything and gone through some sorta nasty puddles and rain, actually just started raining a bit on my way home a few minutes ago but nothing substantial almost got another accidental test.

I recommend coating any PCB’s with a conformal coating, I do it with most my parts and helps protect from not only moisture but debris and anything that could potentially short something out.

The motors are fine to run in water it’s just the bearings can loose their oil after a while. Just give the bearings a drop of oil now and then. The Tupperware container will stop water from light rain but if you hit a large puddle water can be forced in so having an additional coating on the electronics is a good idea.

Here is my recent attempt at conformal coating

@lrdesigns you can’t oil a sealed bearing by putting a drop of oil.