What are the current bottlenecks in esk8?

I think that the biggest limiter is the esc

From my observations the most prominent change was the 3 phase motor and getting rid of brushed inefficient motors , we have been gifted these awesome powerful brushless motors but unfortunately the batteries havenā€™t caught up

2 Likes

And not to mention the small independent builders that produce custom builds otherwise we would still be restricted to buying from the larger companies and or building shit for ourselves and giving up after it caught fire

Thatā€™s much bigger than esk8 but a good point.

Almost 100% of our current electrical technology is limited by its energy consumption. For most portable electronics, battery capacity is the #1 limitation to almost all technology R&D. Since the development of LiIon, most of the technological advances in consumer electronics have been focused on power efficiency. We still see improvements in performance, but thatā€™s simply because the efficiency is improved.

There will always be limitations for electrical current, resistance etc.

2 Likes

Feels bad man that is insanely slow, faster to walk or run lol. If those were the restrictions I would just use a pedal-assisted e-bike - how would they know the wattage unless it is printed on it?

Thatā€™s what I did. 250 on an e-bike is enough, I easily reach 45 km/h. One press of a button an itā€™s back to normal/limited.

I do still use my trampa, but no longer for commuting. Also knowing that if something happens, no health ensurance if they know what caused the accident. Still a chance of loosing my drivers license or end up with a 2000 Euro fine for driving an unregisteted motorized vehicle.

Are electric portable vehicles hated in your country? lol 2000 goddamn euros??? losing your license on a non-car? sounds fucking insane

Germany. Our boards are considered identical to unregistered cars, but because not a single law covers this type of transportation you simply canā€™t predict what the officer in question will do nor what the outcome of an investigation will be. What I noted down is worst case scenario that happened to a few. Others had their board taken, gotten 500 Euro fines and yet again others were let go with a warning and/or got their board back after a while.

Main issue is no law and no insurance that will cover us. No insurance equals illegal e-skating.

Now that there is a small start in legalizing electric scooters, we start noticing resistance from several industries. One being public transport. They want us to pay extra if you take an EV onto their train/bus/etc. The government is also afraid that they will miss out on tax (many people would no longer require a car), so they are figuring out ways to monetize it all. Would not be surprised if my e-bike needs to be registered in the future with a need for plates.

Honestly why tax an electric vehicleā€¦ should get tax breaks for not using gas cars and destroying the planet lol, much better for the environment and will only get better in the future as batteries and technology advances.

In some countries you pay less tax, but pay you must (Netherlands). Tax is what keeps the system running.

1 Like

This could be partially solved in software, with more fancy abilities with slightly different hardware. It would be very nice to have emergency brakes that dump power into either a resistor or into the motor windings.

I disagree with this and other comments about efficiency. The efficiency of these things is bloody good ~90%. So even with superconductors getting the resistance down to 0, you only gain 10% performance.

1 Like

If resistance were zero you would have infinite performance increase :grinning:

But Iā€™m not mad about 90% efficiency

1 Like

Um no. If you are at 90% efficiency, resistance goes to 0, efficiency goes to 100%, you get a 10% performance increase.

if room temp superconductors are used and electrical resistance was zero I donā€™t know math but there will be way more than a 10% performance increase. the only limits would be iron losses

I see you typing! I donā€™t think vulcanized rubber is necessarily more grip than pu. I think its all just duro related.

1 Like

If the efficiency is 90%, it can only go to 100%, simple maths. I guess that 5% of the loss is in the copper, 4% in the iron and 1% in the ESC. So fixing these things with magic can only give you ~10% performance increase.

Well no, if you fixed those things the same things would be the bottlenecks as previously. Ie battery, traction, rider skill. My initial point is that resistance is not a bottleneck in eskate.

that 10% is bigger than you could possibly imagine , it will never happen in our lifetime though .

I am not dismissing traction rider skill etc as they are all valid restrictions aswell

What are we actually talking about? Bottlenecks where? You build a set up to handle your battery. It is all the battery.
You want to build a fire breathing dragon capable of supplying 200 amps then get an arc 200. You want to build an 80 amp set up use a unity or 2 focboxes. Bottlenecks only exist in pre built boards or badly designed diyā€™s. As things progress in battery tech so will the rest.

And as for what pushed this pastime forward in leaps. Well thats Benjamin.

3 Likes

True, but all these technological progresses have to pass through wheel contact patch and generate enough traction forces ā€¦ it seems to be still a bottleneck there.