What charging plug are you used one your board

This is not because the port can not handle more volt but because of safety regulations. The contacts are easily reachable for small fingers and objects so more than 30v which can not harm a human, is forbidden. 50v is already in a range that is considered hazardous to humans. So as long as you keep your toddler away from the port you can go to 230v without anything happening to the connector.

Yes sorry man Thank you for everything :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

I’ve recently ordered this one:

It’s rated at 10A and 500V and it’s waterproof.

4 Likes

5a is really not that much current especially over the short lengths inside a board. I’m too lazy to look it up but I’d be surprised if 26ga wasn’t good enough electrically. 16ga is overkill (not a bad thing).

Quick sanity check would be to check the wire gauge of the cable coming out of the charger.

Personally I’m running 18ga for the charge port, because the next smallest silicone wire I have is 22ga, and I wanted it to be physically tougher than 22ga.

On another note, I’m using XLR, which is a bit bulky. I’m thinking though, to use one connector for 10s boards, and a different one for 12s, so I don’t make that mistake (boom). Most likely I’ll only have 10s and 12s builds.

EDIT

3 pin XLR is kinda nice. It’s typcally used for microphones, for which phantom power is 48v. I believe the pins are good for 10a easy.

Some specs here:

http://www.switchcraft.com/Documents/switchcraft_sealed_xlr_npb_604.pdf

FWIW the pdf says 24awg -> 4a, 22awg -> 6a. pdf also says 500v rms, but rms means AC, so must de-rate heavily for DC.

1 Like