What is The Ultimate Belt Drive Set Up?

Riot plugs with caliber trucks are pretty :fire:

Basically helps to eliminate the gap/slop between the kingpin and the hanger. When put on Calibers, the centerpoint becomes very defined like a Ronin truck.

Also yā€™all are spoiled with this truck stability thing. I take TKP trucks past 20mph pretty regularly without issue. Any RKP trucks out there (Calibers, Paris, cRonins, cRogues, Randals, Bears, Atlas, etc.) will do fine on an esk8 as long as you build up your ankle muscles. Get high rebound bushings like Riptide APS in order to eliminate speed wobblesā€¦

Edit: Forgot to add. Calibers ship stock with ā€˜insert barrelā€™ bushings which pretty much do exactly what was mentioned above for the Riot Plugs at perhaps a slight cost of more restriction. From the getgo theyā€™re more rigid and precise than other trucks on the market for that very reason.

stock calibers are fine to any speed, but they dont carve beautifully. ronins are much more precise at small lean, but feel still alot less linear and boring when carved hard. this discussion has nothing to do with being spoilt, Ive ran nearly every truck on the market including 250ā‚¬ precision trucks on the quest to find the best setup for speed and carving and ronins were by far the most fun trucks in basicslly all regards and cast ronins are truly unrivaled in the value for money point.

about plugs: Ive got a few dont trip trucks with spherical kingpin bearing, now thats true precision around the turning point, really sensitive and great feel, using them on my pump setup ā€¦ but value for money ratio is clearly in favour of cronins.

1 Like

Iā€™m not referring to you, as much as Iā€™m referring everyone else. Trucks are a preference. Bushings control the ride. If you have Paris trucks, then thereā€™s a bushing setup that makes them perform well at speed. Same deal for every other truck out there. Iā€™m not of the belief that one should drop their current trucks and go for Ronins as an end all be all. I much prefer they invest in extra sets of bushings and dial in their setup. If they want ā€˜betterā€™ trucks, then they always have the option down the road.

If you really like Donā€™t Trips and their insert bushing setups, then why not give cast Rogues a shot? They should be very similar to Ronins but slightly more linear due to this lower rake (2mm cast Rogues vs 7mm cast Ronins vs 5mm precision Ronins).

Cast Rogues are arguably the best price/performance trucks that make use of insert bushings (same thing as the Donā€™t Trips and Buzzed trucks). Just like Ronins, they donā€™t have/need a bushing seat because of their extremely defined centerpoint, so they posses absurd amounts of lean.

i found my trucks after more than 5years of playing around with every variable there is! think the concept of the supportpin is simple, genious, and absolutely ideal for powered wheels! :slight_smile:

dialing in bushings is mandatory for all trucks, im not running stock bushings in my ronins either. 93A riptide boardside and 87A riptide crank roadside works on nearly all trucks for my preferred speed and carving style somehow.

the ldp dont trips dont have inserts, but a real spherical bearing, which is quite a precision/slop step up to abything i ran until then.

Youā€™re gonna do a build log for this right? Iā€™ve built a 10S6P Vanguard so I would be really interested to see how you fit that many cells :smiley: Thought much about using 2070/2170 cells?

I would love to read your building progress on this board with 12s7p, especially on how you will do the enclosure.

I will, it will be a segmented enclosure like on my last trampa - but Ill do it in a more proper way this time - learning 3D modelling, carving a mold with my cnc router that i still have to finish building, then using that polished mold for a real precision and high gloss carbon enclosure with resin infusion that basically covers the whole vanguard without having an impact on its flex. its still a long way, but this build will be a step up from anything ive done until then. :sunglasses:

rough sketch: 7 segments, 2x3 on each trucks side for 2x7P battery elements, middle is a more flat segment for 2x vesc6.

6 Likes

Not a fan of tails or kicktails or anything like it, never using it either.

Motors are all simmilar, square trucks all do the same jos well

@whitepony how about two 6355 motors on ronins? Did you try that? How much space do you have for them?

This is whatā€™s on my Dropped Glorrrrrrryyyyyyyy build, its the most solid and fail proof build Iā€™ve ever done. no slip, tons of torque, great acceleration and top speed.

Surf Rodz TKP trucks with 80mm axles Psychotiller Quick66 Motor Mounts TourqueBoards 190KV 6374 motors SixShooter Pneumatic wheels 15 tooth, 8mm Bore, 25mm wide HTD5M Pulley(s) 340-5M-25 5M Timing Belt(s)

12 Likes

jesus christ mike :smiley:

4 Likes

right there boys & girls, thats the best comment of the year :slight_smile:

6 Likes

didnt try, ronins arent very wide, but either way im not a big fan of dual motor on one axle, always gives this awkward locking differential feel when you carve.

Now thatā€™s what I would accept as a substitute for chains!

1 Like

13s Focbox running in sensored FOC, on an EVO, with 6374 190kV. 15/36T with 20mm belts on 107s

45mph, torque and wheelie, burnout donuts.

I have yet to see another belt drive do 45mph and get there with ease.

And itā€™s efficient as hell.

2 Likes

uhm excuse me sir, you did not hit 45mph. you actually only hit 44mph.

2 Likes

GPS said 45. Refresh rates between Bluetooth and gpsā€¦meh. 1mph off in the logs. Whoopty. Find another belt drive that goes 40+ and still has torque. :wink:

Plus yea I didnā€™t my buddy did. On the Evo I helped buildā€¦which is the same as my build.with one less P cellā€¦

2 Likes

yah because of your carving style :smiley: I think i try them one day with a dual setup if it fits.

High voltage seems the way to go. A bit off topic but the new Porsche Mission-E is built on a 800V Platform, highest yet for an EVā€¦

How does it handle the high ERPMs? Not regarding DRV errors or faults but rather the Efficieny at high speeds compared to 12s or even 10s It might be difficult to tell i guessā€¦

1 Like