What protective gear do you guys use?

Have you seen the hybrid I’m thinking of getting those

Which ones are talking about? Last night I found these Dainese armoform knee pads. They look hardcore. I need something a little more discreet, but look like they offer great protection and flexibility. There’s a YouTube video too that shows them in better detail.

http://www.dainese.com/de_en/armoform-knee-guard-96603.html

@Nismo these are the hybrids.

Im also looking at the sector 9 gasket knee pads. I think you want as much plastic to slide it out like the ones you linked but these two are more lowkey. I also like the dainese hybrid arm guards

Have you tried Gform pads? I usually wear the knee shin gform pads under my suit pants so its barely noticeable unless i sit down. A forewarning though, don’t expect any soft shell pads or hybrid pads to stay fitted if you take a hard fall. The problem with soft shell is that they move when you fall too hard, they’re built for impact rather than road rash and you’ll most likely slide when you fall so soft shells usually gets move lower. They’re great or mountain biking etc but for asphalt going over 20+ mph? Not so much.

If it’s of any help, here are my protection set up: Helmet- Uvex Jackkyl hde (this one is great, love it, I got it straight from Germany. Removable chin bar and incredibly light) Arm/Elbow- Fox Racing Pro Elbow Guard (had two falls, these gems worked better than expected) Knee/Sin- Fox Racing Pro Knee/Shin Guard (judgment still out on this but they feel great staying on)

1 Like

Apart from keeping wind out of the eyes, does a full face helmet do anything else? What’s the face protection made of?

1 Like

Jaw protection. Wind is actually secondary unless winter. If you live in urban environment, factors such as pot holes, cracks, cars, pedestrians etc. can cause a lot of accidents. Only takes one accident to ruin it for you.

Falling forward sometimes can mean your jaw will hit the ground almost as fast as you raise your arms to protect your brain. Even rolling off the momentum can cause jaw dislocation. Obviously there’s a lot of what ifs, but I like to take all necessary precautions because after all, this sport is pretty deadly. Think of it almost as insanely dangerous as bike racing.

I still haven’t figured out the perfect esk8 gloves. Looks like you are forced to pick between either abrasion protection or impact protection.

Wrist guards are the only thing that really works for impact protection. If they had a full fingered glove with a built in wrist guard I’d go for that! I know they have one on amazon, hillbilly something but I’ve heard negative things about those.

1 Like

@Nate - thanks. looks like my weekend rides are going to need a helmet…

@Photorph - I tried riding with my snowboard wrist protectors, and Lush sliding gloves, and man it sucked big time. From the pics above, it looks like one of those military type gloves with wrist protectors… and maybe the trigger finger on the glove cut in half for the remote… ?

@Nate Yeah I figured the soft shell wouldn’t hold up as good as the hard plastic in a slide. I was looking for something discreet as I mentioned cause it isn’t really legal to ride where I’m at and thought I would like to fly under the radar, instead of looking like a rolling Robocop. But now I’m thinking its just better to be fully protected. I saw the G form pads, I do like the look of them.

I’m just wondering if it might be better to switch to something that can be strapped on instead of slipping on. I think that if I was to go riding with a friend on a bike, I could swap the pads to them easier, and get lower legs covered. Says they are low profile. I think I will go with them instead of the trail skin. Dainese V E1 N. Not sure if its on purpose…but spells out vein.

I think this is a good option. If you can have a combination of straps and slip on it’d be better. From experience, slip on don’t stay in same spot when you take a hit and straps usually loosen when you walk too much. But combine together, I think they work great.

Ya definitely, you’ll look a bit goofy, but I’ll take that over any accident. Ironic enough, people notice my board more when they see my helmet, it shows the beast is a serious business. :yum:

I just received some hillbilly half finger guards and they’re very uncomfortable holding a remote. It doesn’t sit into my palm and Im gripping it with the last knuckle of each finger. They seem great aside from that. The splint is raised off the palm a lot. I’ll be returning them

As i am performing risky stunts most of the time, wearing my protective gear is crucial for me not to break some of my bones lol Here is my setup, for head protection i use S1 protective helmet: for knee protection there is my s1 pro pads: boardstore.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/295x295/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/o/roller_derby_knee_pad_front__86165.1452381648.1280.1280.jpg (can only use 1 image in post) and also i use risen protective gloves: boardstore.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/295x295/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/i/risen-gloves.jpg (can only use 1 image in post) In case any of you is interested in buying these, i got mine from the protective skate gear page of the linked website.

Got some protective gear

187 Killer Knee+Elbows (really solid and slide well, (yes I was sliding around my house on my knees, who doesn’t when they get killer pads😂)

Gets quite hot wearing them on 20-40 degree days so I’ll be more careful until we get some cooler days here

Rocking a helmet from a few years back, don’t like the artwork on it so I’m gonna change to a PROTEC black helmet

Maybe a mask…

I`m in the market for some knee pads…

Anybody knows if these to models, is any good ? And wich model to prefer ?

Are foam/kevlar knee pads like this : https://triple8.com/product/exoskin-knee/?category_name=skate protecting as good like normal knee pads ?? Thanks

I came off at 32 mph 4 weeks ago knee still has fluid in it can’t lift my left arm higher than 4 ft I had a helmet gloves and 2 coats on it was cold . If it was warm all I would of had on is a t shirt Guess what I’m looking at protective gear now … If I had a pair of knee pads on life would be better right now …I’ll post the gear I’m buying I’m doing a lot of reading …I’m looking for knee pads back brace wrist protection and a better helmet …

3 Likes

Hey @hornet90 pads are a lifesaver

I went down at ~35 a couple weeks ago. Wrecked my shoulder, but fine now after a couple days…still need to stretch it.

3 Likes

Started to look at gear ,mine you my shoulder is still sore after 6 weeks it’s time too see some 1 about it. I’m looking at body armor back brace,better helmet,knee pads also motor bike boots short that go just over ankles might help I a fall…

1 Like

Need some advice. I was in a crash last Friday and had to go into surgery. Reason? My protective elbow and knee pads shifted, even though they were strapped tight. Big gap in my arm and skin ripped off in various places.

I need something that stays put and handles sharp stones without any issues. One time use after falling is OK. Any tips? Mountainboard use.

If you’re riding through lots of rough terrain maybe look at enduro/mx knee pads/brace. Check Rockymountainatvmc if you’re in the US