Where to buy a 4wd belt drive esc that can handle 13s18p?

Thank you for the answers! I’ll order a Flipsky, I’ll email them directly to make sure.

Will report with pictures and videos soon! The motors are 900w each so 3600w but I will go 60% speed max, don’t need to be fast on this monstrosity.

The board is 6’6 (198cm) and 35lb (16kg) so with the 6 packs at 5.5lb each, ~2lb for vescs and wires, 15lbs for wooden enclosure/riser Liftboard style (google the setup) plus maybe 11lbs for trucks and motors comes to about 85-90 lb board (around 41kg)

Doable. I weigh about 210lb so with the board it’s about 300lbs (142kg) of total weight distributed on the trucks, the board being stiff as possible of course. In realms of possibility.

Will result in a cool looking motorized surfboard on wheels.

13s isn’t common, like at all. Only people i know running it are running trampa vesc or enertion unitys. Flipsky has been stepping it up but idk about them at 13s. The new maytech is a beef cake but 4 of them would cost a lot and they aren’t small at all.

Do you know the kv of those motors? Thought they were 270kv… if so you might have some issues and just blow your esc

No, no idea about the kv actually, the Liftboard website didn’t provide those specs, just the wattage.

You’re saying the motors won’t be able to function properly and blow up the esc’s?

I mean to be fair, people are being pretty nice given that the board spec you’re trying to build is obviously a bit above your skill level and you’re using crap motors. There’s a reason experienced builders keep repeating themselves. Frustration that you’re not hearing what you want to hear shouldn’t be taken out on them. Calm thy digital tits.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure they are 270kv and if so at 13s, if you break at a full charge you’ll probably blow the esc. I wouldn’t run 270kv at 12s even. Honestly avoid over 200kv for anything 10s and above. 270kv is good for like 6s/8s batterys

1 Like

Also what’s ERPM looking like at 270kv/13S?

Oh shit, ok thx for pointing the kv problem out.

I was more frustrated about people pointing out the size of the battery and how unnecesary it is and I was automatically defensive.

Could you reccomend me hub motors that would go with the 13s18p battery and dual vesc6?

Sorry erry’one, like I said I was defensive because people are not used to see batteries this size and I was just tired and defensive about it so my bad, I calmed my digital tits as long as you don’t try to convince me to size down the battery.

2 Likes

Check out Hummie Hubs. They’re good up to 14S iirc and are much more realistic KV.

People are not shocked at your battery size. They’re shocked that you’d put that much weight and cost in cells onto this kind of hub board. You’ve got a freight train tanker of fuel on a Pinto, and you’ve already made up your mind that’s what you’re doing.

2 Likes

Only hub motors i know of people running at 13s are hummies hub motors. My hub motor knowledge is limited tho. Not a fan personally for my esk8 uses.

1 Like

If you check out the dual 6.6 discussion and findings page you can see a lot of users have had issues with the dual 6.6 having voltage cutouts and incorrect voltage values on 12s, I think it’s safe to assume this would only get worse on 13s. Even more recently they’ve had issues with the slave side failing completely. Not sure how much of this has been fixed, but it sounds like you want a super reliable board so I’m not sure if you will find reliability with 13s especially with a flipsky.

Not to say your build will never work on 13s but for reliability you may need to invest in an ESC that can take 13s like a champ.

1 Like

Oh wow, they’re unavailable online from what I’ve just gathered.

What about 13s belt motors? Would I need a different vesc setup for belts?

On another topic, the trucks are gonna be ok at moderate speeds and bumps with 140kg on them?

I get wanting to use what you have. 13s is an area a lot of experienced builders still haven’t tried yet. A little over a year ago 12s was still considered unreliable and risking your vesc blowing. So people see someone shooting for 13s when they don’t know the answer to a fairly gone over question, they feel the need to warn you. It’s not outta spite or anything. Don’t take it personally.

1 Like

Heh. I wouldn’t feel safe.

Also keep in mind how easy it will be to slide out of control on PU wheels with that much weight. I can’t imagine a battery like that not on ATs

Got it. I understand now, thank you. I have the option to go 10s12p or potentially 10s24p but aesthetically and functionally the hoard would be a bit different.

I’ll just abandon the 13s idea for now, it was an optimistic project.

1 Like

When it comes to good esc/vesc you don’t need belt or hub specific esc/vesc like you do on the cheap plug and play Ebay/diyeboard escs.

Anything 13s I’d shoot for trampa vesc or unity

You can still make a beast at 10s awd. Probably a much more reliable one at that. You could even make two boards.

A heavy weight with crazy range. And a light weight board easy to carry in a store for quick trips. Use the liftboard motors on that.

2 Likes

If you intend on using PU wheels, I would suggest no more than 10S12P just for weight considerations.

Big heavy boards handle considerably different than lighter ones. I say this as someone who has built and/or rode boards from 8kg to 20kg (heyo Nazere Lonestar). Weight matters even more when you’re on PU wheels, and a 25-30kg board on PUs is going to be dangerous if you’re riding it in public places.

I understand the pu weight considerations. I ride the hamboard pretty often so I am familiar with constant sliding or “drifting” of at least some wheels coz the board is about 18kg itself, besides that I am constantly powersliding on it, 4 wheels slide as a form of workout, and I recently learned how to powerslide on my boosted v2, wide 4 wheel drifts up to 180 degrees or a tighter 360 but very rare for now (I fell a few times and got neck whiplash) so I’m very much looking forward for the physics that you’re trying to warn me about.

It’s gonna be an epic drifting awd surf/skateboard.

If you’re wanting a 4wd drift machine shoot for low kv motors. Even something like racestars 5065 150kv motors would do the trick at a good price. I doubt you need high speed for the boardwalk. You’ll probably get more use out of crazy acceleration and braking.