Which Camera to film awesome Esk8 videos with?!

Hey everyone,

I was visiting my local camera shop and wanted to buy a sweet camera for taking clips while riding. I could not decide which one to go with and would like you to share your experiences. The two main brands I was told I should decide in between were Sony and GoPro and my budget is max 300 Euros.

Thanks in before

It sounds like you want a small vlogging camera if im not mistaken. I dont have much experience with small cameras because I am almost never satisfied with their quality. I highly recommend the canon 550D if you can handle the bulk. It is a DSLR so it will not be thin enough to fit in a pocket, but for the price, it is amazing quality. Just look up short films made with this thing. The quality can be great if you use it right. It can film 1080p @ 24fps and 30fps I believe. Make sure you get one that comes with a lens. And because it is a DSLR you can always upgrade the lens later. I don’t know the exact price, but you can shop around and probably get it close to 200-300 Euros. Also check out the canon eos M. It is much thinner, but more expensive I believe. The 550D camera is old and has limitations though. It doesn’t have wifi, nfc, gps, gyroscope, or any new camera features/sensors. It also does not have a touch screen. You have to get the new canon 700D for those features. Sony’s cybershots and canons powershot cameras are popular portable vlogging cameras, but to be honest, you could get similar if not better quality and features out of a flagship phone’s camera like the one in the Galaxy S7 or iPhone 6S. Hope this didn’t over complicate things. Cameras can get very confusing.

1 Like

Yeah i guess vlogging camera fits it well. Ill look it up when I get home and thanks for all the input!

No problem. Also I meant to say 550D, not 500D! I edited my original post to fix that

I’m sure you could use a gopro-type cam for whatever. Again, I’m not advertising. But the cheap ones are as good as the real deal. Http://www.wish.com proves to be a good source for actioncams. Around 70 euros with all the mounts included. Should it be defective upon arrival like mine. They’ll ship you a new one for free. So double the free mounting stuff.

It’s also good for arduino’s, cheap heatshrink, battery cells, soldering goods, leds, electronics. you name it. If it has a good review count, go for it! I’m additcted, I confess. (Over 100 orders now, not a single dissapointment)

1 Like

That definitely sounds like a cheaper, more portable, and more durable alternative. The only reason I don’t buy these types is because I hate the fish eye look. Its only acceptable for action shots. If you want to do any unboxings, reviews, vlogging, or tutorials fisheye will look quite odd. Im not sure if you plan to do any of these things though.

1 Like

I started with the cheap chinese, meanwhile I have the gopro 4 black as well for multiple angles. You can swap the lens with whatever is available. So straight canvases are possible. It’s also possible to remove the fish-eye with software which works well too. Anyway, it’s about 70 euro’s investment. Still doesn’t compare to a DSLR investment (got a canon 60D with multiple lenses too)

2 Likes

Also be sure to check out this thread, might have some useful tips for you:

3 Likes

Garmin virb, @cmatson has one and I’m most likely gonna get one my self. It has teatime data overlays that you can see in his videos (speed, elevation, distance traveled) Amazon: Garmin Virb X Amazon: Garmin Virb XE And they are both on sale! :point_up_2:

3 Likes

Def check out the Sony action can series … Great sound, color and clarity … And the image stabilazation works

And great in all types of lighting and can hold up to the weather

1 Like

At the end of the day, any camera you can get your hands on is just a tool or a vessel to create really engaging content that comes from within. We need more vids up in here! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@RunPlayBack need to put up some type of thread to talk abt options people have…you might be the person here with the most equipment…I’m pretty sure of it lol

But need something starting at good budget cams to get them going…then to intermediate equipment and so on

1 Like

Canon 700D aka Rebel t5i is what I am planning to get unless you guys think there is something better.

1 Like

I got some stuff on the How to Make Great Electric Skateboard Videos thread. Some of my gear is a little overkill for ESK8. Honestly I come here to get away from the camera gear crowd sometimes lol. Lots of talking about gear and who can spend the most and not enough actual shooting and storytelling. With or without a budget, with an iPhone or an Arri it doesn’t matter to me, I’m always at service to the story/emotion.

2 Likes

Agree, let’s stop talking about equipment, just post awesome footage from whatever…

1 Like

This is a perfect place to talk abt it

That’s why there exist this thread

1 Like

Where are your vids?:question:

1 Like

Haha, I’m enjoying being called out, and trust me there’s nothing that I would to like more than share my video’s. But as far as I’ve come. Everything I would show would be illegal in Belgium and I would be digging my own grave with that footage. So tell me, what would you do?

Lol post it anyway lol

I’m a fan of DSLR’s - just about any of the current gen (or even a generation back) work really well. Pick one and you just have to learn how to use it.

I’ve found it’s more about the process and your skill than the actual camera. Good lenses are worth investing in - so picking a long-term platform is really helpful. I chose Nikon since a couple semi-pro friends let me borrow lenses whenever i want (huge bonus - good glass is $$).

With ample light - the lens is rarely a limitation. Start getting into low-light and it’s all about fast glass though. Or defocus control for blurred backgrounds.

Gopro is a great start if you can swing it!

2 Likes