Which Camera to film awesome Esk8 videos with?!

I initially asked for doing what you dont. Id like to record videos to post em on the internet but I guess uploading videos of me riding illegally here in Germany is like digging my own grave too…

I have a D800 that has never taken a single video… but is extremely capable. I’m a stills kinda guy - w/ gopro for action stuff (paragliding, skating, etc.). A gopro hitting the ground - no worries. My D800 - i’d be devastated.

1 Like

I’ve got a rebel eos1 sl1

It’s pretty similar to the other canons in that price range, and I’d definitely recommend it.

Lol my mom bought it (the white one at that) for photos, but didn’t like all the digital stuff, so she went to her old Minolta from the 90’s…

So now I’ve got it for stills and tripod videos in edition to a couple Garmin virbs for action shots

1 Like

How in the tarnation do you put that on a selfie stick :thinking:

JK :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Carbon fiber selfie sticks for max performance with a heavy DSLR: that’s the key :wink:

1 Like

Oh I was think more like this lol

4 Likes

Just got the Firefly 7s (successor to the popular 6s) and first impressions are great: http://www.banggood.com/Hawkeye-Firefly-7S-4K-120-Degree-7mm-Lens-Sony-CMOS-WIFI-Real-time-Playback-Preview-Camera-p-1058047.html?p=842322733432201408CW

Sample video when u have a chance @paragon

No problem; to be fair I’m not a videography expert, but you guys can be the judge of that :wink:

someone tried the garmin virb ultra 30 ? the stabilizer and the G-Metrix data looks awesome, but is almost expensive as one esk8 :cry:

I definitely have a leaning/predisposition towards gopro’s (have had several versions up till now). Saw the GoPro Karma release and the handheld gimbal/3-axis-stabilizer is a really cool feature! makes handheld video super smooth in compact package!

I have been using the Canon M3 for a while now and I love this little thing! It gets DSLR quality with half the size. It isn’t as good as the sony mirrorless at this price point. The auto focus is a little slower then the sony. But It has a mic input, and I am a firm believer that sound is the difference between pro and armature. So the slightly slower auto focus is worth the ability to get sound recorded cleanly with a Rode video mic mini on a custom mount on the bottom so I can still flip the screen up and see what I am filming.

I still want to try out one of those 3 axis gimbles on this setup. But I might just get the go pro gimble for the shots I wanna steady cam.

1 Like

Micro 4/3 is a great way to go for video - smaller body and lenses, plenty of features. I’d go panasonic for video, the G85 is great for the price point, has stabilization, 4k, and all of that jazz. There are also great Micro 4/3 wide angles if you want to go for that look.

For compact cameras the sony rx100 line is pretty crazy with 4k video, super slow motion capabilities (960fps) and so on. They just announced a new one so the RX100 IV will probably drop in price soon.

I personally think most DSLRs are pretty lacking in the video department although they make great stills cameras (see Canon/Nikon). If full-frame and video are a must the Sony has some good offerings but really expensive. The APS-C size censors range I’d go Sony too, it’s hard to beat the A6300 (although there are overheating issues) on value, which will drop in price soon since they just announced the A6500.

For Mics, just make sure you get a dead cat for the wind.

1 Like

Panasonic GH5 FTW

I’m pretty keen to see/try the new Sony a6500

Very compact mirorrless 4k camera with 5 axis in body stabilisation combibed with an optically stabilised lens… will be interesting…

Otherwise you can’t beat the some of the cheap (sub $90) “go-pro-like” action cams from the various Chinese companies. I have this one and it’s great. http://sjcamhd.com/sjcam-sj5000x-elite/

I’m a proud owner of the a6000. Works like a charm. Videos are crisp and pictures are :heart_eyes:

I have the G7, love using it.

I recommend DSLRs by a longshot.

Don’t let them draw you in with that 150+ autofocus points nonsense. You don’t see Sony Alphas in sports photography because the many hybrid autofocus points in mirrorless cameras still aren’t as good as the fewer dedicated autofocus points of DSLRs. The difference gets worse in a lowlight setting.

Video wise, the entire Sony A6XXX series is STILL getting flack for overheating in ~30 minutes. (apparently the a6500 will now give you a warning…) For that money, I recommend getting the Canon 70d because of its famously smooth autofocus for video.

Last thing is durability and handling… Do you really want to drop that frail mirrorless camera while going 15+ mph? Not to mention mirrorless cameras are usually cumbersome and poorly balanced for their minute weight/profile savings. Also you pay for that weight savings via mirrorless’s short battery life. The specs may be there, but the practicality is not. Hell, the entire A6XXX series STILL doesn’t have a fully articulating flip LCD for vloggers.

Just my 2 pennies

1 Like

shot this video with - Panasonic G7 + 14-42mm kit lens + Canon 18-85mm lens & adaptor Gopro Hero 3 silver Samsung Galaxy S5 iPhone 7 edited in premire

https://youtu.be/d1v7ejiiHMU

1 Like

Ha interesting you mention that, looks like you know your cameras well…I have a canon g7x mk ii and gopro for video purposes. It’s great, but the audio is so bad and no external mic jack…if there’s any wind just forget it. I need an external mic with deadcat. The exact two cameras I came down to are the panasonic G85 and the sony a6500.

I don’t like the slow contrast based AF in the G85, but it has the 12-24 2.8 lens which is awesome. Also the ergonomics are nice.

Sony a6500 has much better AF, bigger APS-C sensor. But it only has an f4 zoom in that range, and it has pretty bad rolling shutter (jello effect when moving camera).

Can’t decide, but leaning towards a6500 (strictly for video). I have a nikon d810 for wedding photography, I do a few gigs a year on the side if I have time ( www.malik-photography.com )