Which Camera to film awesome Esk8 videos with?!

Interesting insight. Do you run a secondary camera alongside your d810?

The GoPro Hero4 is pretty nice - itā€™s got adjustable angles so you can go full-on fisheye or something more subtle. Itā€™s also hella durable and the mic isnā€™t terrible quality if you donā€™t have the big waterproof case on it.

If you want something bigger, Iā€™ve got a Nikon D5200 with a 50mm lens thatā€™s amazing but is pretty close-up and doesnā€™t have a zoom function so youā€™d need to have someone else filming from a bit of a distance.

For wedding photography? There is a back up camera always. I donā€™t plan to ever use dslrs for e-boarding or videos.

dji OSMOā€¦

I recommend this combo. It quite fits the low budget requirement.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightdow-LD6000-Sports-Action-Camera/dp/B00XC46RWG/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&dpID=51IdzE9zBgL&dpPl=1&keywords=lightdow%20ld6000&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&qid=1477300555&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Zookki-Accessories-SJ4000-SJ5000-Camera/dp/B00ZELEKIS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4G0A1HRFKV5PRDFX2JA6&ref_=pd_aw_sim_421_of_8

so to sum it up a bit:

I have several different cams. Think about what you want to do with it.

If you want an action cam type of style to take with you on an selfie stick to get wide shots of yourself riding: get a gopro that fits your budget - best action cams on the market.

if you want a good camera to take some pics also, think about raising your budget a bit to get a 700d - this one lacks on autofocus a bit, but you can handle that with a bit of learning.

other option is getting a good small camera, again i would take compact camera, a canon or sony model at about your price range like a canon g something.

or raise your budget a bit more and get a sony a6000 - beautiful camera!

1 Like

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2016/09/19/gopro-karma-grip-1474362963873-efn8r3gxgpbv-630-354.jpg Anyone get the new Karma Drone or Hero 5 + Stabilizer yet? I really want to get one. The easy to use stabilizer sounds like the perfect solution to get smooth video on esk8s.

1 Like

iĀ“m thinking about it. ItĀ“s sad that itĀ“s missing some of the nice features DJI has, otherwise i would buy it directly :smiley:

True. I might just buy the stabilizer.

Iā€™ve got a karma coming, so Iā€™ll definitely do an initial impressions video of you guys with the handheld stabilizer!

2 Likes

Iā€™m planning to get the grip and the Hero 5. it sucks that it doesnā€™t work with older GoPros since I have the 3 and Session 4.

Session with Best Buy warranty :slight_smile:

the best thing everā€¦

Iā€™ve seen guys with hero 4 blacks intentionally break them, go back to best buy, get their $400 dollars back, and then turn around and buy a hero5 with another best buy warranty! Endless cylce!

1 Like

ELI5 bestbuy warranty?

Like @RunPlayBack said, ā€œany camera you can get your hands on is just a tool or a vessel to create really engaging content that comes from withinā€. The real awesome esk8 films comes from oneā€™s imagination to put every image and sound together to create something enjoyable for other people to see.

The problem I usually have is that I never program and plan the shots and picking the best ones from 60 or more minutes of footage is really what makes video editing difficult for me. And this is with only one SJ4000 cheap chinese camera which has more that enough video quality. Pick one camera and make awesome videos, thatā€™s all it takes. :slight_smile:

Tested the hand-held karma stabilizer today, have to say the footage is amazing!!

Iā€™ll post some up this weekend.

Also will hopefully have some drone footage, but Iā€™m still taking it easy while getting everything downā€¦

3 Likes

If yaā€™ll are looking for a new phone the Google Pixel has pretty amazing stability. Great for esk8!

Little off topic, but if you want to sell your virb hit me up. I have wanted to get my hands on one for a while, but am reinvesting in Polar.

I may sell it, not 100% sure right nowā€¦ The garmin sensor data is such a killer feature.

Haha the only reason Iā€™d sell it is because 1080p 60fps garmin footage, while good, just isnā€™t the same as gopro 2.7k 60fps, so flipping between the cameras in editting is pretty noticeableā€¦ And I canā€™t use it with the sweet gopro stabilizer.

Iā€™ll pm you soon if I decide to get rid of it

1 Like

Gopro just recalled the karma, and I havenā€™t flown it but 3 times; none of which were with conjunction with an eboard either.

I also just paid and did the paper work YESTERDAY to get it legally registered, with an ID number and drone flight certificate so I can freaking fly the thing without it putting stupid limits on altitude and range.

FML