Why I sent back my Boosted V2 and built a 12s7p rocket!

Here is my Boosted V2. I waited 6 months for this damn thing and I thought it would be everything I could ever want in an electric skateboard. I was wrong. The Boosted board is a polished product and a legit company but riding up hills I could drain the battery in 15 minutes and I felt I needed a bit more top speed. In short I felt that it wasn’t worth the 1600 dollars I paid for it and upon discovering this forum I found that what I wanted was possible with a DIY board. I wanted to accomplish three things with my build

1. to never worry about running out of battery
  2. to achieve about 30mph top speed
  3. to have something with a kick tail so I can kick it up and pivot around tight corners (could not do this with loaded vanguard deck on the boosted)

I set out on my journey not knowing what the hell I am doing and ordered the following list of parts Dual Mech Kit $299.99 diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-dual-motor-mechanical-kit/ 6355 190KV * $90ea $180.00 diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/electric-skateboard-motor-6355-190kv/ 2.4ghz Mini Remote $60.00 diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-2-4ghz-mini-remote-controller/ VESC * $99.99/ea $198.00 diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/vesc-the-best-electric-skateboard-esc/ VESC XT90 Parallel $8.99 diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/vesc-the-best-electric-skateboard-esc/ VESC Canbus $6.99 diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/vesc-canbus-connector/ VESC Male to Male $1.99 diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/male-male-servo-connector/

If your new to diy electric skateboarding like me I highly recommend ordering through @torqueboards they are almost always on online chat to answer any questions and dexter and his crew are super helpful

The only thing I needed to figure out was getting a battery and my man @barajabali was up to the task. Since I wanted the most range possible I went all out and ordered a 12s7p to ensure long epic rides.

The 12s7p BEAST!!!

After that photo was taken I still didn’t know what the hell I was doing but I realized I still needed to figure out an enclosure. I got cocky and figured out since this DIY im going to make my own. I bought some fiberglass sheets and Bondo from the hardware store and what happened next was traumatizing. My advice starting off is don’t work with Bondo. Period. It is actually terrible to work with and if you don’t pass out from the fumes your probably going to be pissed off with how shitty of a job you did. Or at least that was my experience. So after about six hours of effort and vacuum packing the thing

I ended up with a dried booger from outer space. Thats when I hit up @psychotiller for a custom enclosure which is what I should have done in the first place. I initially botched the dimensions and he was nice enough to fix it for me what a nice guy! the next challenge was figuring out how to get everything to fit… After kinda throwing everything together time for a test ride!

I am blown away by the amount of epic torque and speed. It exceeded all my expectations and I was honestly almost crying how awesome it is.

Not sure how accurate my iphone gps is but I came up with the following results from my first couple of rides

These results might be a little off but I legit think this board does 35mph no problem. And as far as the battery goes it really is an unlimited battery. The thing that pissed me off about the Boosted is I wanted to just keep riding the damn thing but I always had to turn back. I’m convinced if you were on the flats taking it easy you could get 40 miles no problem which I love! After all this awesomeness I do have the board currently sidelined as I am dealing with an intermittent issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVntPJafk5wI really think its a faulty receiver/remote and hope to have it fixed soon. I did start another thread on this but if anyone has any other ideas let me know cant wait to get the board back on the road!

26 Likes

Nice Infected with the Virus of building :sunglasses:

4 Likes

12S7P is beast… Amazing you fit everything in there… How much does your board weigh? pack weigh?

Video is wrong URL btw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVntPJafk5w

As far as what’s wrong with it… I’m not too sure. Possibly, check the wiring make sure everything is plugged in and “soldered” properly if you did any custom soldering which you probably shouldn’t have had too though.

Maybe check your VESC settings and/or try pairing the remote again.

Definitely shouldn’t be doing that though.

Let me know if it’s something on our end and we’ll get you riding again.

1 Like

Haha your motors sound like they’re haunted. You should plug it in the VESC and see what’s going on with the PPM values in BLDC tool. Most likely just a faulty remote/receiver though.

If you want to prolong the life of those phase wires you should rotate the motor on the mount 180 degrees.

@torqueboards also curious about weight as that’s 8 pounds of batteries alone!

1 Like

@torqueboards I have to admit the board is HEAVY. I dont have a working scale but I’m going to guess maybe 30lbs?? def not a commuter board thats my next build. I didn’t do any custom soldering I should have another remote coming soon to test I’ll keep you in the loop!

2 Likes

Check in ppm tab the pulsewidth when you enable the Display checkbox. I am very sure that the Problem comes from there. You are the third one in a week who has those issues. Not sure if the other guys use also a Mini remote. Normally they are very reliable. Could be that they made a bad batch. I have 3 and one of mine also had issues with the potentiometer. What you can try is to turn the poti completely to one side and Do the binding process again. This way I fixed my issue because then I got a stable Signal which didn’t gitter anymore.

1 Like

Well you certainly got off on the right foot buying quality parts from reputable suppliers.

2 Likes

Nice build! That pack could probably power my house for a month :wink:

1 Like

What deck did you use?

:+1:t2: well done

1 Like

8 Likes

3 Likes

I went with this it had enough wheelbase with the all important kicktail! https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/decks/71140/gravity-spoon-nose-tahitian-treat-longboard-skateboard-deck-w-grip

Please wear a helmet. 12S7P truly is a beast. I thought I was doing pretty good with 10S5P…

Skate helmet is being utilized:+1: however at 30mph speed I am seriously considering the TSG full face helmet.

5 Likes

40mph??? im a bit skeptical

My Boosted 2 hardly gets ridden but I really like the way it looks and feels and it’s fast enough with that much flex, I’ll probably ride it more when I finally get that “extended” battery, it’s current range won’t get me anywhere AND back home so there’s no point really using it. I don’t really have a DIY anymore (unless you count the Raptor 1 rebuild) I sold my DIY in preparation for the CarvOn V3 which will be in a Raptor 1 deck as well sucks that I’m restricted to a 10s3p because of the available space

1 Like

data does not lie!!! ha ha jk im skeptical too. I’m thinking its top speed is the 30-35mph range

2 Likes

i agree the bottom line is that the battery life on the boosted is simply not worth it for 1600 bucks if the battery life was in the 15-20 mile range I would have kept it and i guess the extended battery wont be available for another six months

I am having the same issue with my nano remote from torqueboards, just stopped working. I can’t get anything to show up for the pulsewidth, ordered another receiver and am hoping that will work.