Why is my board so loud? The vibrations are making it un-rideable

But the enclosures barley fit over the components. There’s no room to add sound dampening to them. They didn’t even fit over the battery until I added the foam to give it some more space.

Best tip is you can’t have two hard material touching each other

Foam strips on the enclosure between it and the board, components firmly attached and foam on top of everything

My two Vescs live in an Al machined housing, separated from the deck with a 3mm thick layer neoprene, and bolted down with typical skate hardware. IF the bolts aren’t tight enuff, it rattles like yours. Only cure was to crank them down …

Not even 2mm ?

rubber washers, line the inside of the enclosures with foam too

I can barley close the battery enclosure as is, I tried adding thin foam to the inside and it won’t close.

Washers on which side? I already have the ESC enclosure lined with foam but there’s no room in the battery one. And even with the foam in the ESC one it still vibrates and makes the noise.

1 Like

If you haven’t already found a solution;

Over the years building boards and designing my lights any wire, connector, or components that can move WILL move on a longboard due to the extreme vibrations they deal with. From the enclosure picture you posted it looks like you’ve got a few wires and connectors that are not secured. I’d say check those; taping things down (or better yet use hot glue or command strips or anything permanent for that matter)

Anything that can vibrate against the enclosure will make noise as a rule of thumb.

1 Like

my guess is the vibration is the enclosure vibrating against the screws holding it down. try to reduce any hard surface to hard surface contact area

I’m about to duct tape the enclosures over everything and go for a spin to see if it’s the screws :joy:

1 Like

Make sure to use soft riser pads, Thick foam pads (Double it if it’s too flat), From the pics it looks like the Unity is not being held from moving sideways (Double sided tape between the deck and the vesc and a thin layer of foam on top of it before closing the enclosure! Careful not to squeeze the vesc to death), same for the battery, double sided tape to stick it to the deck and foam pad against the enclosure! Some foam pads can also be rough as some skinny a**, I like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074829BP6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s velcro’d with heavy duty industrial Velcro. Trust me I couldn’t move it side to side or back and forth if I tried. Same for the battery. There’s also neoprene foam on the inside of the enclosure like the one you linked.

So I taped the enclosures over the components without screws and the vibration is exactly the same… so now I’m more confused.

Velcro is supposed to keep it tight! not absorb the vibration! With velcro, the parts will still rock against the deck and enclosures. Trust me!

I have foam padding in the ESC enclosure, the battery one will not close if I add padding to it. It barley fits.

neoprene!!! not very famous for its softness LOL

It may also just be a bad deck! I have a DIY board using the meepo V1’s deck. it is noisy too! not too crazy but I always hear the krrrrrrrrr on rough terrain.

maybe try using some rubber washers between the hardware that attaches the enclosure to the deck.

I rode it without the enclosures on with 0 vibrations or sound.

1 Like

I rode it without the hardware attached I just taped around the enclosures and still get vibrations