All new 2019 VESC-Tool release

Excellent, thank you!

Would love to see an iOS version. All the reasons for it not existing donā€™t seem to be correct. You can statically compile the qt lib and use it in an ios app, I believe there is a small fee but a small price to pay to grab such a large group of users.

Is vesc-tool open source? Iā€™m an ios dev, maybe myself or someone else could port it.

Apparently, Apple policy isnā€™t complying with OS project.

VESC-Tool is GPL licensed and Apple does not allow GPLed-Apps to be distributed via the App Store. The GPL License and the App Store policies are contraindicative. Get yourself a n Android skate phone if you want to use the App.

Maybe someone wants to make Android skate phone with a strap or something like mount on hand or etc stuffā€¦ I am not joking Sony Ericson ā€œcandybarā€ sized android phone with hand strap would be fcking awesomeā€¦

Maybe that exists alreadyā€¦

Seems pretty close to just getting an android wear device then though Iā€™m sure you could find some cheap small android phones still. Guess if people want to jailbreak their iOS device and sideload apps then would still be possible but lose all the advantage exposure on the app store gives you and going to be a niche group within a niche group. Thereā€™s another thread about iOS bluetooth telemetry though and someone already wrote an app (apparently not based on vesc-tool ?)

I think you can install apps not through app store aka compile and install urself, of make beta testers list I think you can get up to 100 devices or etc at that stage nobody cares about what you use in app :slight_smile:

Are there any submodules or code in the VESC Tool that is licensed under GPL and that is not owned by Vedder?

If the whole codebase is Vedders, then he can simply publish it to the AppStore with a different licenses that is conflicting with the Apple Developers ToS.

If he does not own the whole code base, it should be checked if the owner of the GPL code could give Vedder the code with a different license.

There is plenty of code involved that others contributed.

Or you can just buy a real phone that isnā€™t crap :smirk:

Thatā€™s not really correct. There is no restriction from apples end on gpl licensing. Iā€™d say the issue is that the gpl chosen is too restrictive for the apps storeā€™s requirements. Have the authors of vesc tool explored other versions of the gpl that may be less restrictive ? Is this really a case of licensing or is there an anti apple agenda here (Iā€™d understand if there was). These days releasing an app on a single platform is just bad planning.

And thats a shame. Unfortunately having to get a dedicated phone to use a single app isnā€™t realistic.

1 Like

The GPL is applied and thatā€™s the way it is. Sure Vedder could publish his software under any license he wants and he could compile his work for Apple, but that wonā€™t happen. Apple and Vedder are no good friends, so the skate phone is compulsory. Everyone else is bound to the GPL which is not App-Store compatible.

Well thatā€™s a shame. The end users are the ones that end up losing out when someone has personal issues with a distributor like apple.

But that does open up the market for someone to write a competing app. Maybe something Iā€™ll consider when life gets a little less busy. (and yes I realize some apps exist, but in my experience they have been less than usable)

2 Likes

Something like VESC Tool takes years to code. On top of that, maintenance is a huge pile of work. 70 bucks for a cheap Android phone is worth it. You can fix that to the board and donā€™t need to worry about it to much. I thought of integrating a small phone into the enclosure, 5V step down converter, permanent on. You canā€™t get a touch screen odometer and config tool cheaper.

6 months tops. Itā€™s not a very large app from a development perspective. Anyway if thatā€™s the way it is then thatā€™s the way it is.

This is not true.

Also, itā€™s absolutely ridiculous to even suggest that the innovation should be restricted and slowed because you want to buy crappy phones.

Let the innovators innovate. If you wanted ground-breaking technology, you would not buy apple crap.

2 Likes

Only the people foolish enough to buy stuff from a company that stifles innovation. The rest of us are just fine.

They could choose at any time to not stifle innovation, and you could choose at any time to buy real equipment. Donā€™t think that means the innovation needs to slow down because of your foolish purchasing decisions.

0ff

3 Likes

@rpasichnyk Your opinion on this subject is as bought and corrupt as they come. Even Tim Cook himself would be less biased than you are. You personally profit $$ from esk8 riders buying apple crap. Why would you think this would even remotely be okay?

Your opinion is bought and paid for.