"Bad Idea"/ Jet Spud / Freeboard bindings / MEB 12s2p / Ollin VESC / TB 6355 sensored motor

Would love to see a video of this thing in action!

Yes! I really need to take some video.

Should also mention that we rode about 5 miles with lots of stop and start…battery meter was showing 76% afterward. Not bad at all for a compact little 12s2p battery. Really happy with my choice so far!

Yeah, I also got two of those 12s2p batteries from @oriol360 at Miami Electric and been very happy with them wired parallel. Good size and price point, great support from @oriol360

1 Like

hey adam- are you in LA? Id love to see that bad idea of yours. looks pretty awesome.

I am. Redondo Beach specifically. How about you?

I’m 42, I understand perfectly what you say. If it is too much fun probably is dangerous for us. :slight_smile:

i’m in Mar Vista.

Not far. Definitely like to plan a ride. Your welcome to give the bad idea board a try. It’s actually a lot of fun!

Been getting some questions about the Miami Electric Boards stealth battery, so I thought I share my experience:

1.) Buying experience - @oriol360 has been very responsive to questions and proactive with updates on order status. These are critical elements of a positive user experience in my opinion. 2.) Looks - The battery it self looks exactly like the pictures on the website. Not sure If MEB describes this on the website, but there is a nice foam protective layer under the heat shrink for some vibration resistance. If you are accustomed to a space cell battery like I was, it appears to be worryingly small…like maybe it won’t be powerful enough. 3.) Riding & Range - I’m 215lbs and live in a pretty hilly part of Los Angeles, my set up is a single 170kv motor (@torqueboards). I was a bit concerned this battery wouldn’t have the juice to get me up the bigger hills…shouldn’t have worried. The motor is sensored and I’ve accelerated from stand still up 15+% grades without any problems…I’m sure it would handle 20% grades without any problems. The longest ride I’ve done so far has been about 8 miles…mostly up and down hills. The battery meter was showing 44% after. Overall, I’m very happy with this battery and in fact this battery with @torqueboards 170kv motor with 15mm pulleys is the best drivetrain combo I’ve used to date. Have I mentioned how much this board weighs… 4.) Accessories - BMS and power switch are good to go, but the charge port isn’t ideal. In fact this is my only complaint, and it’s really just a matter of personal preference for me. The charge port that comes with the battery doesn’t have a threaded ring that allows it to easily be secured to an enclosure. I replaced the original charge port with one that does have a threaded ring…the work of about 2 minutes.

6 Likes

I’m missing it i guess - i see above you mention you need to weigh it and shoot some video… So how much does it weigh?

Such a cool thread and makes me want to build one too… Which i’m NOT going to do until the other 2 or 3 boards are closer to done or actually completed!

dangerous sometimes to read/drool over other’s builds…

3 Likes

http://www.slcfitcollective.com/uploads/5/3/9/7/5397369/1273819_orig.jpg

2 Likes

Sorry for the tease. It weighs 14.4 lbs with the bindings…those binding base plates are heavy! I’m guessing 11 - 12 lbs range without bindings.

1 Like

So Im wondering about the final impression on the freebord bindings… How easy is it to juump a curb and is it worth getting them? I live in a city with a bunch of curbs and cracks, so jumping them would definitely be much nicer :smiley:

1 Like

Wow! This was a really cool build to stumble upon! Great job :+1:

1 Like

I too live in a place with a lot of curbs and cracks in the pavement and I’m thinking about making a similar build. I would love to hear how the Freebord bindings work out for you! I am expecting a kick tail deck to arrive any day now, and depending on how that works out for me I am going to get one or two freebord bindings :slight_smile:

I’m an out of shape 41 year old with very little skateboarding experience and have no problem jumping curbs.

I started off jumping cracks and moved up from there. The first few curbs take some courage, but you’ll quickly get the hang of it.

It’s nice to know you can hop over most road debris, but even better than that…it’s a shit load of fun!!

1 Like

A few thoughts on the bindings: 1.) the weight is annoying…the base plates are heavy steel. I wish they were made from high quality aluminum. That said, I can still jump up high curbs without a max effort. 2.) because your feet tend to push outward hard while jumping, they can be uncomfortable with certain shoes. I’ve only noticed it after about 10-12 successive jumps. 3.) they add a ton of control. You feel locked in and much more in control. I’m over 6 feet tall and go 20+ mph on my tiny little jet spud and feel fine…no way I’m doing that without the bindings. 4.) surprisingly easy to hop out of. Numerous times I’ve stepped out or jumped out of the bindings in time to avoid eating shit. 5.) take a little getting used to, but IMO an awesome bang for the buck add on for eskateboards.

4 Likes

Awesome, I m a few clicks away from buying s pair of bindings :relaxed:

You’ll dig them. Don’t be afraid to play around with the stance width and angle. I started with both bindings in the outer truck screw holes and it felt “ok” but ended up moving my front binding forward about 1 1/2 inches after a couple months and that was much better.