Benchwheel remote & receiver

I have bought a batch of 10 remotes. Now 4 receivers went fatal. I’m trying to fix it but BW wont cooperate… thats what you call shitty service

1 Like

Wow that’s kinda strange. Maybe bad batch for them? I noticed the receiver image on alibaba is different from the one I have, they may have changed something

alibaba/express receiver is the old style. Everyone should be getting the squarer new style as of half a year (or more) ago.

I bought one from @Mark’s batch a while ago and it still works fine. What happens when the receiver breaks? Runaway board? Or does it just coast?

Depends on your VESC settings. You could have it brake when it doesn’t receive PPM signal.

Would it be the same reaction as when turning the remote off?

Yes definitly, if you set up the vesc right

Okay, I’ve set the timeout low, and when I turn off the remote it coasts. So I hope it does the same when/if failing :stuck_out_tongue:

I also almost ordered just the remote but there are actually two ads on aliexpress, one with both reciever and remote and one with just the reciever, so choose wisely :wink: Still waiting for my tho.

I recieved remote and reciever today, everything seems to be working good, altough the reciever is a little bit different than the photo in the ad shows.

They just didn’t change the picture. It’s the same receiver as shown here in the first post?

Yes, true that, my bad!

I just received my Benchwheel remote & receiver. This thing is so hard to sync… Anyways, when I push the throttle half way, nothing happens. But when I push it more than half way, the motor runs immediately at max speed. I don’t have the ability to control the speed by just pushing the throttle a bit. Does anyone knows why? Is it how this remote works? maybe it is defective? Maybe my VESC settings are wrong?

You need to setup the PPM parameters

I tried to play with the PPM, but for some reason the remote doesn’t like it when I am changing the default parameters (min Pulsewidth - 1.00, max Pulsewidth - 2.00). When I changed those values, the remote didn’t respond at all. When I rolled back to default parameters it got back to working state.

I will be near it in a few hours and I’ll post my BLDC setup as well as the results that I receive with them.

Make sure you have the remote in “Full Power” mode when altering PPM settings.

1. power off the remote
  2. power on the remote
  3. short press the power button

It should change from Low to High or High to Low. You want it on High when adjusting PPM Settings.

When I short press the power button, it stays on Low power mode. Is something wrong with the sync perhaps?

That function takes place in the remote, so at least that’s not a sync issue. You have to set the power mode as the first action, you cant hit the throttle or anything before.

You are correct, I am able to switch modes now.

I tried this guy’s video on how to set the PPM, unfortunately it didn’t help me. I would like to share with you my results;

My Maximum Pulsewidth (ms) is set to 1.95 and the Minimum Pulsewidth is set to 1.10. The motor still starts at max speed. Here’s a video to demonstrate it.

Another thing is that my motor spins at the wrong direction, it goes backwards instead of forward.

It also fluttering and makes strange noises. I tried to release a bit the nut on the wheel where’s the motor, but it didn’t make any difference.

Another thing - I am not able to stand on it and ride, the motor just can’t handle it.

Here are my VESC settings:

Motor values

BLDC values

General values

PPM values

My battery is ACTON’s Blink board battery which I believe is 10s1p 42V. The motor is also from this board and I have no idea what are the motor specs. I am using Maytech VESC.

Many, many thanks…

I see where you did the motor detection, but you didn’t apply it & save. Try doing that and see if it helps. Also, you need to have a load on the board when testing, testing on the bench will not show you the actually AMP/Voltage delivery under load so it looks like it spins at 100% when in reality it doesn’t.

Lastly, I would use a multimeter to find out the voltage of the battery for sure before I went any further.