Best remote you've used

It seems from what @wafflejock says that we aren’t using nearly the amount of data that the potentiometers could produce. I forget what his numbers were but think we use like 11% of the potentiometer.
With the mini which I use daily I can feel almost always the rachetting between positions where I have a gap between maybe 4 and 6 amps current to the motor. It’s like I’m constantly twit hing back and forth unbalanced. If the remote were to fully utilize the full travell of the potentiometer I’d have like 10 more levels of current. …4.2, 4.6, 5,…or something like that, and things would be smooth. All the remotes suck!

I got this one from Vedder back in the days. Was dope !

Yeah sorry didn’t mean to make a big deal of that I just thought about it and messed with my own one quite a bit. I don’t think the range that we move the potentiometer or the 50 up and 50 down is really that bad a resolution for what we’re doing here think it is more about the travel for your finger and not being able to really accurately position your finger where you want to while bouncing around. Like you said you could gear (or possibly just offset with a resistor) the trigger so it turns the knob more but ultimately the sensitivity I think is mostly based on how accurately you can control your finger. Another thing to think about is if the potentiometer moves 270 degrees total and that’s 1024 value changes then we get a value change at every .26 degrees (270/1024) of change, with a trigger “radius” of say 5cm that would mean ( (5cm *2) * 3.14159 * (.26/360) ) = .02cm or .2mm )

2 Likes

Did you haven any issues with the Gt2B? I havent had a single issue with all 5 GT2b remote s I have.

3 Likes

Thanks planning on doing one with wheel style too with roughly same design just take out the trigger and move the potentiometer a little bit and the hole then make a wheel and some sort of place for spring loading it.

it was fine, but the receiver antenna kept breaking off the receiver twice PLUS I dont like the printed enclosures too much. miniremote with some tennis grip tape = <3

That’s the one, it doesn’t have cruise control but it does have a low and high mode.

I still have yet to try a trigger style remote but it just seems like a bad idea. It seems to easy to twitch or pull throttle if you get off balance and could lead to falling. I guess I need to try it first but boosted boards remote is king in my opinion. Way more movement that the mini 2.4 remotes with the thumbwheels.

There is a guy making an orange one that looks just like boosted but has an aduino inside. Looks like the holy grail to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Solid Geeks is a nice design for sure too. I never used the thumbwheels so I didn’t go that route with my own, just used to the RC car style trigger remotes. The thumbwheel seems worse to me really since your thumb is just “dumber” in my opinion or less sensitive than your trigger finger but maybe that’s not true for everyone (my thumb is a big dumb implement good for high pressure low sensitive stuff IMO).

I understand the finger trigger style does have a higher chance of getting pushed while bouncing/shaking around too though so could see the other side.

1 Like

The gt2b with @FLATLINEcustoms mad munkey enclosure blows everything else out of the water. Rock solid connection and a comfortable grip. You do need some soldering skills to perform the mod but the end result is worth it.

http://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/optimized/2X/c/c125a987dc919b5dcc3e117e633707ec5fd42044_1_281x500.jpg

6 Likes

Mine died randomly. Still lights up but won’t pair with receiver. Only used it a hand full of times, never fell.

Any idea if the mod would fit this one? It’s actually been pretty solid. I had to use it after my mini randomly stopped pairing. Now that I think about it, the mini needed to be repaired randomly even before it finally wouldn’t pair.

1 Like

@Sapphirinia it might, you’d need to take it apart to see what the internals look like.

I actually prefer it to the mini. All the little knobs were nice for fine tuning the trigger sensitivity. Only thing is it uses batteries. I’ll try to take a picture later. I’m at the DMV…

Yeah, I got another one that had very bad reception and kept cutting off which was new. But hey, they are cheap Chinese made, but when you get one that works, it works great.

I guess I just got a dud then. I was scared to replace it with another since mine was bad. There’s one on Amazon prime for $23 I might get.

I started off with a huge RC one like this but on 27 or 37MHz instead of 2.4Ghz so had a huge antenna and sucked AA batteries down daily that’s why I ended up going the DIY route.

That said I also went back and gutted the original remote and put my own transmitter/receiver stuff in there (power amplified nrf chip can control my rc car from over a block away further than I can see it to control it), since the premade shells are nice despite being big. The components are all dirt cheap, nrf boards are a dollar or two a piece, the arduino pro mini 3.3V are around $5 a piece (you need 2 of each one for transmitter one for receiver) only down side I see with the DIY remotes is the time it takes to assemble and calibrate it yourself.

I had one of those smaller ones you linked too can’t recall what the issue was with that one but I only used it for a short time before switching to printing my own.

As you can see the DIY ones are easier to pocket for sure :slight_smile: but again obvious time investment vs just buying something off the shelf.

If your looking for a new one any way, I love my GT2b it has a rechargeable battery. This case I designed required no modification other snipping the trigger rod a bit shorter.

I will release the file shortly i am printing hopefully my final copy through Shapeways now. I have been using this hand finished prototype for months and it is amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/2-4GHz-3-Channel-Transmitter-Discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B00FS2U9BA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509385559&sr=8-1&keywords=gt2b

1 Like

You can get the GT2B($25-$28) 3d printed housing on eBay for like $25. The FlySky GT2B remote has a solid connection. Transplanting, cutting and two tiny soldering took under an hour. The hardest part was trimming the plastic on the trigger mechanism and the pcb. Hard because I did this at 1 am and didn’t want to use the noisy Dremel. Makes a great chunky RC remote into a pocketable remote with a solid feel and good ergonomics. Best $50 remote thus far.

1 Like

Mad Munkey GT2b Mod. The ergonomics are great and is small. I should print one of the Mastercho cases to compare ergonomics, but I have no complaints with mine.

3 Likes