DD Mad Speed. Mad hubs DD conversion kit Build

I see, il download the iphone version of ack on my wife’s phone and maybe we can try that @pookybear

You don’t need to pay for the app just for testing. Search for a BLE terminal app or similar for IOS on the market. They are able to detect the BLE module. If you see it and can connect then you know the module will work

BLE scanner is easy to use and works great. Check if an IOS version exists.

blescanner

Ack app sees it but it won’t connect to it.

Yes, if you are up to it. I can remote in again. The whole idea of you getting up and running is to ride. So you can enjoy it while you work on your DDs magnets. But if you are down to do it, I do not mind at all.

1 Like

Yup. That is what I’m getting at.

Ah ok then I think the original vesc app will work after have flashed the original vesc firmware

This shit is mad yo :smirk:

We’re gonna try it and post back w the results.

There are a bunch of reasons, with pros and cons of course.

• ackmaniac app compatibility for modes (ackmaniac app has nice csv log files, and starts logging immediately on connect, nice if you try to log every ride)

• better failsafe behavior

• cruise control using second ppm channel

• works with hm-10 modules which helps if you’ve been building for a while or have many boards

• I remember reading a post from ack saying most of the code changes are for UI, and that nothing significant changed in the motor control loop, which I agree is the important part

BTW @Skyart15 @pookybear nice build, thanks for posting! Love the tape!

2 Likes

Also, for the record:

I’m not anti trampa. I own 2 trampa vesc6. My friends and I pre-ordered 3 trampa wand remote. I chose ackmaniac due to personal preference and it works for me. Just that. In fact, I recommended it to @Skyart15 when 2 of his fsesc6 broke.

2 Likes

So I just got back from a ride, and it was a spirited ride for sure Screenshot_20190701-130343_Speedbot The question I have is, i can barely touch the motor casings lol they are pretty hot I’m guessing in the 160-170f range how does that kind if tempraturw not melt the insulation on the motor leads? 20190701_131301

Well. You should rephrase that to, “how is the sticker/tape still there and not melted?” :rofl:

1 Like

RoFL!! Maybe next time @rey8801 can use blue painter’s tape instead steel casing for the dd conversion kit :laughing: seemed to be indistructable!

2 Likes

On my prototype I am still using 3d printer case. Then you can choose the colour you want!

1 Like

well insulation should be good up to 220C. Anyhow you really got them hot. Even if I push them a lot they are hot but never got so high. I guess I leave them the time to cool down a bit while riding.

Not sure if this applies to esk8 motors. In the RC world and in most situations, we gear it based on temps and laptimes. Stock racing. Optimal temp for RC motors is ~160. Anything over ~170ish is just wasted heat because they don’t get any faster despite gearing it heavier.

I don’t know anything about these Mad DD motors. IMO, 160F at the end of a ride is still acceptable. Of course I have no data to back this up. This is solely based my experience w RC 10th scale motors since '06. RC brushless didn’t start until maybe a few years later after that.

Ok so this set up is working for climbing this particular hill Screenshot_20190701-155020_Speedbot As you can see at the top of the hill I was doing around 14mph, this is with me entering the hill at the bottom at about 21mph. Ideally I would like more torgue, what do you think @pookybear shall we try 80 motor amps? :laughing: is my only saving grace at this point…smaller wheels?

Hahaha. You need a temp gun w you when you ride so we can watch the motors temp.

I tried up to 70A and didn’t feel to much difference. To me 60A is the max current for this motor. I use 70A but do;t feel to much difference and you already get them really hot. For more torque you need smaller wheels. I really don’t feel the need of more torque with my wheels. It’s constantly accelerating. Also depends on the rider weight of course. I am 83-85kg now while riding.

Btw: factory rates them at 50A. So we are already over the limit. Also a belt drive will need new gear ratio going from 90mm wheels to 110mm. This hubs where designed for 90mm.

1 Like

So tried these new setting max reverse - 2000 and motor min - 60A. Now the active braking is smoother and predictable. I like it. It really stops you no problem

1 Like