EMB Crash when ESC locked up

receiver fail-safe is different from remote calibration (in app calibration)

fail safe is the default ppm timing that the receiver sends out in the case of a Lost Of Signal (lost communication from hand device to receiver)

In app calibration is only the extremes of the ppm signal.

@ShueBox follow up question, what remote are you using?

2 Likes

@Blasto

Thank you for the explanation :slight_smile:

1 Like

the board skid meaning the board locked up.

2 Likes

I also bet on foot bindings. There’s no way one could have skid like that without those. :smiley: Also in the end of the video the sounds and movement literally looked like pushing feet into bindings.

It did do that my first test run, very slow speeds, receiver cable came loose and it stopped. Have since upgraded the connectors but haven’t tested to see how that works on the unity but thats #1 when I get it back together.

And although it sounds like that I cut about 45 seconds out of that video - the board was completely off but the problem is the power switch on the battery got turned off when it flipped so I have no way to know if it was off before it flipped or not but I am going to look into the possibility of the remote doing that. Its just a simple maytech, and being my first build I will do some research on the board and see what I can find.

Thanks for pointing that out though, I never thought to check to see what the failsafe is for that… although I think it would be built into the ESC’s firmware and not so much the remote (given its simply a receiver)??

1 Like

image image image

Worst part, or the most annoying, is the blister on my hand from the gloves getting so hot from the pavement… went ahead and ordered some MBS gloves with the plastic wrist guard, never thought those would be comfy but I’d rather slide on those than my hands again!

Oh yes, F4 bindings otherwise I would have been flying in front of the gopro lol… and I was able to ride it home, albeit at lower speeds, just broke the bottom part of my left motor mount (which was 3d printed, no biggy) but it worked perfectly fine on the way home after the crash.

3 Likes

I rode kind of the same, without bindings tho. Ran for my life at 55km/h. :laughing: I wondered if bindings woulda helped, but I doubt, I was on pavement all around. You got grass by you, did you fall into it?

I tried… had slip on shoes and thin socks so I could easily jump out of my shoes if need be since that was my “test” method lol just caught me off guard so I didn’t make the grass lol and I just put road tires on the thing. Luckily I didn’t get hurt, looking back it could have been much worse but I won’t make that mistake twice… plus I have the gear, I’m just an idiot for not wearing it.

1 Like

Fail-safe is built-in the receiver, the esc performs what the receiver tells it

now this is interesting… worth checking your battery connections. What is the bms you are using?

No, it was off because the board flipped and the ground hit the on/off rocker switch and turned the battery off… flipped it back on, turned on the focbox and off we went.

I can’t confirm it didn’t turn off before that since the switch had been flipped but everything worked perfectly fine as soon as I turned it back on

Ah ok you’re were using a rocker

Live and learn… came with the BMS and was waterproof so I could use it on the pelican case I used to hold the battery. (See damage to the “off” side in the photo)

image image

Yeah that got switched off during the fall

Heres a question… updated the firmware but when I am trying to calibrate the remote it goes through the process then instead of staying still the reading goes back and forth (randomly) from 0% to -0% without ever touching the remote… is this normal?

1 Like

Connections are solid. Welded tops, soldered everything else. Been doing that for 15+ years so that’s definitely not the issue… think it’s the maytech remote, been playing around with the wires and it’s just going from 0% to -100% just by moving them around… must be a short or something, time to solder those together too

1 Like

Yep that sounds like a random smashing the brakes situation

Everyone’s already got their pitch forks out ready to burn Enertion before anyone’s sure of anything…

1 Like

Witch hunt!! lol but no, I wasn’t, I was keeping up with their progress so I could update while trying to narrow down the issue as well. Hopefully no more crash videos from me, fingers crossed.

4 Likes

Just a little warning. That voltage meter is very likely prone to water ingress. Don’t expect that case to be rain proof. There are so called waterproof versions available too (these don’t have the electronics exposed at the bottom), but the only difference is that the water gathers in the electronics bay/the voltage meter circuitry itself will still drown.

Only fix is coating the components and sealing it all with silicone for example, which still leaves you with water ingress around the display itself.

1 Like

Yeah they are a PITA but I ended up sealing it inside and out with silicone… not water proof but more than sufficient for what it’ll be used for… if I drive in a lake I’m not so sure I would run after that battery anyway… just wait for hazmat… seen too many of those things self destruct!