EMF Hub motor final sale!

same here, last part i need. I would appreciate an update or a timeline or any best estimation. anything really.

Hey guys for those with skipping utathaneā€¦ @blair thought of using heavy duty scotch double sided tape. It has worked really well on mine. Shoe goo didnā€™t work for me even when applied liberally. Just a warning that the double sided tape will mean old utathane needs to be cut, heated and peeled off.

1 Like

Thanks for the post! Can you explain a little how you put it on? I know itā€™s probably too late for pics, but canā€™t hurt to ask :grin:

Indeed too late for pics but we took off the utathane so the can was visible, and simply applied 1 layer of thick scotch double sided tape between the bumps. We then carefully slid the utathane back on (pro tip, donā€™t waste your time time because the tape doesnā€™t waste time setting) if you need a better explanation I can probably come up with one

2 Likes

Pro-tip: coat the outside of the tape in mineral spirits. The spirits temporarily deactivate the glue and lubricate the surface, allowing the urethane to slide right on. Itā€™ll evaporate within hours and the glue will hold nice and tight. Itā€™s how golf grips are applied.

Hell, just buy a golf grip kit, the tape and solvent are designed for this kind of application (metal to rubber adhesion). @Hummie, you might want to try this as well if you have any urethane that is slipping while hot. You can use the same solvent to scrape the tape off later if necessary.

New Brampton - Complete Grip kit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N55H24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Ase0xbEMQRB66

5 Likes

The fact that those screws sheared off is seriously concerning.

Does anyone have infoā€™s to the upcoming batch? I am still waiting for my Set that I have ordered a while ago, they are the last missing part, that I need to complete my Board

Donā€™t start again please ā€¦

5 Likes

Iv already exhausted all of the money given in preorders for producing and about $4000 has gone out in refunds. the motors clearly they have some issues. If you would like to make a PayPal dispute please do I can not refund you direct as I have no money but PayPal will still help you and chase me for the money. I already have a PayPal dept collector calling me because my account is in negative.

I still have the motors and if I find a suitable fix or you want to find one your self I will ship them to any one who is left as this is cheaper for me.

Iā€™m sorry for letting every one down honestly I just tried to reach to far with making moulds and boxes ect but I think every one has waited to long.

1 Like

Thanks for the headsup, and sympathize with your predicament. Please PM me about the 107mm 4WD project, assume that is also on hold?

Hi Jacob, I have sent some emails to Vesc.net.au but am not sure if you are getting them? The questions are; I weigh 100kgs, is the XL motor more tourquey than the 83mm or does it just have more top end speed? Does this motor run cooler than the 83mm? What is the steepest grade hill I could expect to go up with out damaging the motor? Is there a you tube video for this motor? Thanks Chris

Hey Chris, Iā€™m not sure exactly if this will help, but it canā€™t hurt. Hereā€™s a (badly shot) video of the 83mm hubs taking me up my street that I live on. Itā€™s on average a 25% gradient. I weigh 70kg. I used a space cell pro 3 with 20 amps to each motor. They get slightly warm after just this run, and the battery looses about 10% in the 200 meters up this hill. Iā€™d estimate speed to be 15-20km/h with full throttle. https://youtu.be/Lo5tZzooh_A

Thanks Luke, that is a descent grade of hill! Itā€™s nice to hear that the motors donā€™t get too hot. I think these 83mm wheels are the tried and proven! I guess you can use a bigger battery like a 12s on those, not sure what Vesc you are using.There seems to be new 107mm ones with bigger stators and these come in a kit of 4 but I havenā€™t seen any feed back yet. Does anyone have a set of these?

Hey, when I ride up from university I go up a 1km 10% hill as well as this hill, after both hills they get quite hot, to the point that itā€™s uncomfortable to hold the truck hanger. For anyone bigger than me doing similar hills I advise to see how bigger motors are and probably go for those or maybe 4wd configuration if itā€™s within your budget. Also Iā€™d see how the reliability of the new batch is. One of mine had slipping utathane. Its been fixed with tape pretty successfully, but till then The vibration from slipping is likely what caused that motor to short circuit and the motor to become unusable, hopefully things like this will be addressed in the future. Iā€™m not trying to be a downer, just want you to have an unbiased view of how theyā€™ve been for me.

That double sided tape you used. How did you apply it? along the full perimeter of the motor? or did you apply it in the axle direction between those mounting holes?

Thanks for the heads up, @jacobbloy

But what does that mean exactly? Think there are still a couple of open orders that havenā€™t been fulfilled. People who have paid you 250 or so $ for one set of motors back in April and havenā€™t gotten anything yet. What happens to them?

Are you going to ship their orders? When? Or you going to give them a refund? When? Or do those people just have to write off their money?
Are you going to contact them? What is your plan?

Full parameter of the can of the motor, between the mounting holes Main thing is that the tape is thick as possible and likeā€¦ And adhesive

Thanks Luke, interesting about the slipping and that hot hanger, it is probably well worth travelling around with a temp gun or something. I think I will start with a twin hub system and test it mainly on the flats, see how they perform and then step it up to 4 hubs if needed to avoid that excess heat.

Will be using a temp gun as soon as I get both hubs working. I may have to take it to an engineer or if Jacob responds, send it back to him. For now itā€™s mono drive, which Iā€™m not even going try try on hills